Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my '07 DX. I had Thunderheaders put on this weekend at my dealer. As they tried to download the computer program to the bike the bikes computer wouldn't except it. They are calling H-D this morning.

The dealer didn't push it put I inquired about the PCIII, Race Tuner and DFO's.

I just want the bike to run smooth with the Thunderheaders. Do I need anything of these or is the bike fine with the dealers download?

Thanks for your time.

Darin

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Question on Race Tuners, PCIII, D.F.O.'s

I also posted this on the EFI forum....

I just bought my '07 DX. I had Thunderheaders put on this weekend at my dealer. As they tried to download the computer program to the bike the bikes computer wouldn't except it. They are calling H-D this morning.

The dealer didn't push it put I inquired about the PCIII, Race Tuner and DFO's.

I just want the bike to run smooth with the Thunderheaders. Do I need anything of these or is the bike fine with the dealers download?

Thanks for your time.

Darin

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well, HD does not have a download for a Thunderheader. So what download were they loading? I doubt the Thunderheader will be close tuning wise with any download HD has. So you will need a fuel management system of some type and either find a map or have the bike dyno tuned. Later.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dealer download will get it running alright. But the SE Race Tuner is the true answer if you can afford it (about $450.00). There are so many advantages and setting options. You can dial it in to the perfect specs and change it again and again as you make future mod changes or the motor just evolves.

(like that motor evolving shit, makes ya think doesn't it?)

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I merged your two threads. There is no need to post the same request in two different sections.

There is NO FLASH for 2007 bikes. The flash(es) that were available on the older bikes were for the Screamin Eagle pipes. Since HD no longer makes SE pipes for our bikes, there is no longer a need for the flash.

Your issue is that you have changed your pipes and need a way to modify fuel delivery to match your setup.

You can achieve this with virtually any aftermarket fueler device. The SE Race Tuner will definately do this for you, and if you are planning any changes down the road, it may be the tool for you. As spanman says, they are a bit pricey, but can save some money down the road.

You could also get a VRFID. It requires you to put O2 sensors on your headers, and has the benefit of becoming self tuning. The BIG plus is you never have to pay for dyno time again. All your changes can be done with your PC, via the O2 sensors.

For Just pipes, you can also get away with a Techlusion type fuel device. Gill's box, CFR Fueler, Vance and Hines Fuel Pack, etc. These work well for pipes and air filter changes. If you decide to change anything else, cams, bore, stroke, etc. You may need a Race Tuner or VRFID for that.

The PCIII can be a viable option, but it seems there are quite a few people having issues with PCIII's on the 2007's, and I would wait for those to get sorted out before going that route.

RJ

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
spanman said:
Dealer download will get it running alright.

Not sure I agree with that one. Dealer flashes are pre-packaged setups and if they don't have one that is exactly for your combination, how will you know it's safe? If this is all you're doing I would run the PCIII or Gil's box. If you are going to be more aggressive then use the SERT or even the VRFID that RJ mentioned but either of those are overkill for the typical pipes/topless/k&n mods.

·
Registered
616 Posts
sgtrage said:
Not sure I agree with that one. Dealer flashes are pre-packaged setups and if they don't have one that is exactly for your combination, how will you know it's safe?
Exactly. And not bad mouthing the Thunderheader but they are one of the toughest pipes to tune for. If I were running a TH I would want a custom map made with a SERT. But then you are looking at some big bucks with the cost of the SERT and the tuning time. Later.

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

After reading the responses and checking around I came up with this.....

Since the parts guys sold me a stage-1 download and H-D don't have one for the V-rods they are going to give me credit. So with my credit I went with the SERT. And they are only going to charge me hour for hour on the dyno with a max of 3 hrs. If the tech goes over the 3 hrs it's on his dime.

They recently dyno'd a V-rod so they are going to start with that map 1st and go from there.

Only draw back is I don't get my bike until Saturday (Ok, I'll believe it when I see it). They gave me a total price and I don't have to pay until I pick the bike up.

After all the problems I've had is the dealer trying to make up? :spank:

As for why they sold me the download in the 1st place is still a mystery. Thie was from the Parts manager himself. The Service manager explained it to me that he has to remind the sales people and parts that V-rods don't have the download......

Just hope my investment works out for the best................

Thanks for everyones input... Lot to learn about these bikes....

Darin

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Get a copy of the map they end up with. You payed for it and own it. Post the dyno results when you get them. Their are plenty of people on the site that can advise you on the results. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feelng from what HD told you.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Red-Rod said:
Get a copy of the map they end up with. You payed for it and own it. Post the dyno results when you get them. Their are plenty of people on the site that can advise you on the results. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feelng from what HD told you.
I'll echo this. One thing you need to understand about the ECM on Harley's is that they are a write only device. That means you can only write the map into the bike, you can't read it back out. That means that whatever map they end up with will need to be copied to a disk or memory stick and given to you so you have a copy of what's loaded into your bike. Without that you will have to start from scratch if you make any more modifications.

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do. I'll make sure I get a copy of the map and the download.

They told me I need to take the SERT with me if I travel out of town so if there is any issues I'll have everything I need in the unit? True or no ?

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
The SERT is really just a key to unlock the programming in your ECM. Once it "mates" to the ECM, it can only be used on that bike and has no value for anyone else but you. Do NOT leave it at the dealer; take it with you, make sure they give you the map as well as the software installation disc and put it all away for safe keeping. As one of the other guys said, there are plenty of good map guys here on the forum to help you out.

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks sgtrage.....

I'll make sure I bring everything home form the dealer.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts