Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, got the hole saw, cut around the baffle etc.

Top one came out pretty easy. It left behind some webbing and some hair material. Do I totally guy the pipe - i.e. pull out the inner metal baffle (obviously) then pull out the webbing and hair?

Bottom baffle is wedged in. Would running the exhaust heat the pipe thus making the job easier - or will it be harder if it's hot.

Help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Kieron

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
I left the screen/glass in the pipes, but I don't see a problem with cleaning it out, either.

I don't know how hard you've tried to get the stuck baffle out, but a pair of pliers and a lot of muscling/wiggling will eventually get it out. It took quite a bit of up and down wiggling while pulling to get the baffle out of my bottom pipe.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Grab the baffle w/some vice grips and work it up and down as your pulling. I had one that was harder then the other. As far as the webing, I left everything else in mine, but I dont know if our baffles are the same, I have a D.

Mike

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 hours later - still can't get thsi f***ing baffle out!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Remove the lower heat shield from the collector and loosen the exhaust clamp. Every little bit helps.

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That did it,

Ok so all done and V-Modded. Power Commander fitted. K&N fitted.

It's loud!

Great map from gunnysgt - many thanks.

Running great - just took it for a blast to blow out all the crap from the exhaust.

Now I need to tidy up the job, off for a spot of boxing first!

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Dx V-mod Today

HERE IS THE 10 MILLION DOLLAR ANSWER.
My friend just v-modded my DX today and I'm going to post this for ALL DX owners to read.
1) use a hole saw to cut out the baffle. One that fits just outside the exhaust pipe hole and inside the petruding metal flange that holds the black end tip on. Size is 1.3/4" DO NOT try to remove. Next
2) use a hole saw to cut out around the outside diamiter of metal flange that holds the black end tip. 2 & 5/8" You have to grind down the outer edge just a little to get the hole saw started for this one.
3) Remove baffle.
4) Replace black exhaust tip ring by using C clamps to hold the ring in place to the inside of muffler. Attach mig welder ground to C clamps and weld the ring in place. Some may want to disconnect their battery, we didn't.
5) Attach the black end cap.
6) Ride.
7) I did nothing pertaining to air filter & cover and fuel system. Bike runs great and nice sound!
I went directly to my dealer and let them know what we did. There reply was, if it's running good I don't need any Fuel Management. Only thing I noticed was some minor decel poping.
I hope this will help ALL of you DX owners!!!
Ed

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I swear to you pirateparrot, I did nothing except drill out the inner baffle!! And if anyone knows for sure that I'll need some sort of FMD let me know B4 I have problems. Ed

·
Registered
54 Posts
If exhaust back pressure is greatly reduced then I would believe some type of fuel recalibration would be needed. I haven't modded my R but every other bike that I have drastically changed the exhaust needed rejetted or a fuel management upgrade. That has been my experience with motorcycles and automobiles. You never want to run too lean as that will kill your engine. Just my 2 cents, but if yours is popping then it sounds like an adjustment is in order. Ride Safe!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Harleymon got your PM and just read yoru post. All I can say is mine ran like garbage witht the baffles out and no Power Commander. I got the PCIII and played with a few MAPS from here and Fuel Moto and mine runs pretty good but I am going to have it Dynotuned just to be safe. As i stated in the PM I didnt do any other mods like topless semi topless or K&N filter or anything like that. I would suggest you getting a PCIII or a SERT or having the bike tuned by the dealer. I would hate for you to screw it up. and I'm sure alot of people on the forums would suggest the same thing. I'm not saying that your bike isnt running good. I'm just saying mine ran terrible with the baffles out before I put the PCIII in. Do a search on the forums for info on vmodded pipes for the dx there is alot of info on here.

Jody

·
Registered 5150
78 Posts
Kieron said:
Ok, got the hole saw, cut around the baffle etc.

Top one came out pretty easy. It left behind some webbing and some hair material. Do I totally guy the pipe - i.e. pull out the inner metal baffle (obviously) then pull out the webbing and hair?

Bottom baffle is wedged in. Would running the exhaust heat the pipe thus making the job easier - or will it be harder if it's hot.

Help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Kieron
Get a larger hole saw and repeat process on other side of muffler. thats what I did and the whole baffle fell out like butta!!

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
trick said:
Get a larger hole saw and repeat process on other side of muffler. thats what I did and the whole baffle fell out like butta!!
It's all done now.

Harleymon, you need a PCiii or similar. No back pressure = lean engine. It may be running nicely now, it won't be in a few thousand miles.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Kieron said:
It's all done now.

Harleymon, you need a PCiii or similar. No back pressure = lean engine. It may be running nicely now, it won't be in a few thousand miles.
:them:
The decel pop doesn't sound all that bad, but it definitely isn't good. You'll need a at the very least a fueler of some sort. But I would recommend a PCIII or SERT. Your rings can only last so long running that lean.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
GUYS, Thank you for your imput! ! ! I'll call my dealer today to have them instal a SCRT, K&N filter, and have it dynotuned.

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
harleymon said:
GUYS, Thank you for your imput! ! ! I'll call my dealer today to have them instal a SCRT, K&N filter, and have it dynotuned.
If you go the PCiii route I have a fantastic map courtesy of gunnysgt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts