Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that run the supertrapp exhaust, have you had this comment yet from your dealer? I received a call this afternoon from the service manager, and he said that there is a problem with running the supertrapp exhaust on the V-Rod. The Tech guys from Harley were visiting the shop, and noticed my bike there in storage. They highly recommended that they let me know that that exhasut will ruin the V-Rod motor. They said something to the fact that it will push it too hard, and that it will "ruin it". They didn't say how long it would take, or why but said they have seen a lot of issues with people running those pipes.

Have any of you ever heard of this, and what exactly was the problem? Since they came with the bike when I got it, and another HD owner put them on, I am a little curious as to what could actually happen. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also as an FYI it's a 2003.

Thanks again! :hitfan:

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
HD says that about every pipe. :moon: When samson started making pipes they were burning up v-rod motors.So HD is probably still freaking out about that.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
My dealer told me "only Screaming Eagle pipes can be used to upgrade your exhaust....... oh, and by the way, I can sell you some D&D's"
I dont trust anyone......

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
The MAIN reason they are saying that is because probably 60% of the people who install aftermarket pipes do nothing to the EFI to compensate. (of course no one in this forum has done that ;)).

Even the Sampson's with a proper tune would not have burnt pistons and valves.

If you have aftermarket pipes and are running a fuel adder (RT, PCIII, Techlusion) that's been mapped correctly and have verified proper AFR then you're fine.

This brings up an interesting observation. Many have stated their reason for using the PCIII is that it can be removed before taking the bike into the dealer for service. Problem, you install aftermarket pipes and a PCIII then remove the PCIII for service. Now you have a documented configuration WITHOUT EFI compensation for the pipes! More fuel for the dealer to refuse a claim.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
mjw930 said:
If you have aftermarket pipes and are running a fuel adder (RT, PCIII, Techlusion) that's been mapped correctly and have verified proper AFR then you're fine.
I totally agree, Mark.

mjw930 said:
This brings up an interesting observation. Many have stated their reason for using the PCIII is that it can be removed before taking the bike into the dealer for service. Problem, you install aftermarket pipes and a PCIII then remove the PCIII for service. Now you have a documented configuration WITHOUT EFI compensation for the pipes! More fuel for the dealer to refuse a claim.
Excellent advice for someone looking at tuning their AFR.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
Mark is right on with this one,Again.

I asked my dealer when i had the Dyno done, and he said everything looked great (has PCIIIR installed) he said the map looked really good and the AFR was excellent so i had no worries about warranty issues if the motor blew up etc.
He did say that by changing the pipes i did void the warranty for EPA.
But he also said that even changing out to SE's it voids the warranty since the SE's are for racing only.

To sum it up, they have to prove that what you have done caused the damage to the bike, and with the right Setup you shoud have no problems with a claim issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts