Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When puttin' through town at 35mph, the engine sounds nice and relaxed. I find that when my RPM is around 3K, I upshift to keep that nice relaxed sound.

When I get up to 40mph, the engine sounds just right in 4th gear. When I get to 50, I shift into 5th. Still sounding good. When I get up to 60 or more, the engine just "sounds" like it needs another gear. At around 60mph, I think I'm running about 3800 to 4000rpm (or somewhere in that vicinity).

Keep in mind, this is my first bike and I have NO experience with what is "normal". Is that normal? Don't want to work the hog too hard. :)

On another note, I am thrilled with the power of this machine. I was afraid for a first rider, it would be too much for me (some even said that). I can definitely say that it is PERFECT!

I got waived past a guy in a pickup truck who knew I was riding with two other guys who got ahead of him due to traffic patterns. When I rolled it on...AWESOME...I ROCKETED past the guy. It was GD empowering.

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD Night Rod
40 Posts
First off, congratulations on the new ride.

I had the same issue, but sort of knew what to expect. This is one of the issues HD didn't fix on the bike a 6th gear would be nice, jut they never offered it. I've never done research as to why.

The other thing is the real power band is above 4000 RPM. So when you roll on, you will see why this bike is fun to ride.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I put a 30 tooth fwd pulley on mine on of the best things I ever did - and yes they originally came with the 30 tooth then H-D dropped them to the 28 tooth due to riders complaining they killed the engine with the clutch leaving lights - bike is geared for 160 Mph with a 30 tooth, up 10 Mph from a 28 tooth. Mainly it settles the engine down in cruise. Roll on is much better. Remember the Revo makes it's power from 4500 up - to 9000. It will cruise at 6000 Rpm all day long if you can keep Johnny law off your A$$. It's made to rev, just get used to it - that's where it's in it's designed element. Don't ride it like a traditional " Hog " that's not it's mission. Great engine, just different operationally. (y):cool:

·
Registered
980 Posts
2003 came with a 30 tooth stock

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
First test ride on a v rod and having a soft tail at the time was like, damn this thing is revving at 60mph. Took it to the rev limit and then after that, 4000 rpm really wasn't all that high.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
There's no doubt the Revo trades torque for Rpm. It was designed in. In addition to the marketing sin H-D made in not putting the engine in other bikes like a naked, light weight sport touring etc. they also committed another sin by stopping at 1250cc. They could have stroked it .250, bumped up the torque, and still had even more Hp and retain it's reliability. Shouda, Coulda, Woulda. That ship has sailed, and guys here went and built that 1350cc and larger Revo engines that H-D wouldn't plus Turbo's and Supercharged - the original engine was robust enough to handle most of it with no real problem, with a bit of case strengthening. Let's hope H-D learns from the V Rod and builds other bikes with the Pan Am intro'd Revo Max engine - it's the logical follow on to our original Revo engine and lighter, six speeds, more compact, more power and ready for other M/C's to succeed with it. Let's all hope H-D doesn't choke like they did with the V Rod - we all might have just one more great H-D power cruiser to buy before it's all over - (y):cool:

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD Night Rod
40 Posts
There's no doubt the Revo trades torque for Rpm. It was designed in. In addition to the marketing sin H-D made in not putting the engine in other bikes like a naked, light weight sport touring etc. they also committed another sin by stopping at 1250cc. They could have stroked it .250, bumped up the torque, and still had even more Hp and retain it's reliability. Shouda, Coulda, Woulda. That ship has sailed, and guys here went and built that 1350cc and larger Revo engines that H-D wouldn't plus Turbo's and Supercharged - the original engine was robust enough to handle most of it with no real problem, with a bit of case strengthening. Let's hope H-D learns from the V Rod and builds other bikes with the Pan Am intro'd Revo Max engine - it's the logical follow on to our original Revo engine and lighter, six speeds, more compact, more power and ready for other M/C's to succeed with it. Let's all hope H-D doesn't choke like they did with the V Rod - we all might have just one more great H-D power cruiser to buy before it's all over - (y):cool:
So you are saying I can bore out my 1250cc? Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
980 Posts
You can bore and stroke it.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
If you have a solid engine and can stomach the resultant look a Turbo system is the way to go - close behind it power wise and better looking is the Supercharger setup - I value the look of the bike, don't want to add weight and like N/A engines so for me a 1350 is probably my go to engine - if my crank is bad I'll replace it with 1/4" Marine Industries stroker crank and build that known reliable engine over the 1250 but it adds about $ 4000 parts, $ 2000 Labor for engine R & R, machining, new bearings, etc. to add 100cc so kinda pricey - for that price you could leave the engine alone and hang a Turbo or S/C on it and go for it, that's why they're popular. Revo N/A internal engine upgrades are expensive and time consuming with no easy way around it for more displacement, but Turbo and S/C are pretty much bolt on and tune mods for great results, and if done properly they are reliable - bring lots of $$ you'll need it. (y) :cool:

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's made to rev, just get used to it - that's where it's in it's designed element. Don't ride it like a traditional " Hog " that's not it's mission. Great engine, just different operationally.
After 1000 miles, I've come to enjoy the purr of 4K RPM. It simply just runs better there and now that I know that it is where it likes to be, I've adjusted my expectations of what sound to expect from it. It does not sound like a traditional hog...by design. I've also figured out how to use clutch control to start out from a stop without stalling it. When I learned to drive a car, it was a standard. My dad would brow beat me about not riding the clutch. Thus, I am "clutch paranoid". My dad trained me to get off the clutch at the lowest RPM as fast as possible starting out from a stop. That's just not practical on this bike. After I started allowing myself to feather the clutch with a little power, I don't stall it and I have better control of the bike starting from a stop especially when turning from a stop. It took a while to unlearn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts