Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Question on 5k mile service

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  DallasV Rod 
#1 ·
Was reading the 03 service manual and basically looks like 5000 mile service is just basically a change oil, lubricating throttle cables & jiffy stand and the rest are inspecting this and that. I have an 03, no more warranty, runs great and almost 5000 miles. 5k service at the dealer is $385, I am not a mechanic but mechanically inclined. I have changed my pipes a couple of times, bled the brakes on the V-Rod.
Is the 5k mile service something I can do with the guidance of knowledgable people here in the forum? I have been reading threads about the 5k service and trying to compile things and tools I will need. So far I have oil, oil filter, oil filter remover, K&N cleaning kit on my list. Anymore should I add? or should I just take it to the dealer?
Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
Maybe belt tension tool; good torque wrench; blue locktite. It really is nothing more than an oil change and check of the nuts and bolts.

#4 ·
You can do it. Don't give the dealer a dime for working on your bike. Remember, there are a few guys here (what is it now, like 18K?) that will be glad to guide you through any problems. Besides, the 5K is about as simple as it gets and if you do it, you won't have to worry about the dealer not having the parts, not doing it on time, scratching it, dropping it, wrecking it, or getting it dirty.

#5 ·
Agree... don't pay the dealer for something you can do yourself. You get the additional benefit of actually knowing the bike better through the process. This can be invaluable if you ever breakdown on the road.

#7 ·
Update:
I managed to changed the oil this afternoon and all went well. I pulled out 4.5 qts from the bike and loaded it with 5 qrts. Did a 2 mile road test and it was shifting smoother.
Some time this week I will be cleaning the K&N coz I have the re-charge kit now. Cleaning the belt with damp cloth as specified on the book and will also lubricate the jiffy stand, seat latch and throttle cable.
Should I replace the coolant and plugs or just wait for the 10k service on that since the bike is running fine?
Raebear mentioned getting some blue loctite, so I put some of those in the drain plug. Just kidding. Where will I use this? Also the belt tension tool, is it necessary to buy that? Thanks for the assistance! I does feel good working on the bike...

#8 ·
damn 385.. how much was the first service?

#9 ·
:rofl2: the blue loctite is for the belt. j/k

There is a thread posted by a VR tech I beleive.. It's got a lot of stuff mentioned in it, but I'm sure a lot of it doesn't apply to your V-Rod... cept maybe lubbing that damned springer head! :D

LINK

Just outta curiousity, why does it say to replace the spark plugs every 5k miles?

#10 ·
Use some of the money you save by doing it yourself to buy a service manual and a parts manual. These two aids will easily pay for themselves quickly.

#11 ·
I do everything myself and its really kind of fun. The more you work on your bike, the more you'll learn about it. Don't waste your money by giving it away to the stealership. Also, if you are planning on doing things yourself, you'll definitely want to get a service manual. It'll pay for itself in no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.