Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched and read the threads about replacing the fork springs. If you are not changing the fork oil why cant you just remove the nuts on top of the forks and remove the springs without removing the fork tubes from the bike. Im sure there is a reason but I dont know why. Thanks.

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
You can, but I wouldn't suggest it. My fork oil was not at the same level on both shocks from the moco. Why are you changing the springs only? Are you lowering the bike?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ddavis said:
You can, but I wouldn't suggest it. My fork oil was not at the same level on both shocks from the moco. Why are you changing the springs only? Are you lowering the bike?
I live and ride in the mountains, and the front end does not feel planted in the curves. I am thinking about going with progressive stock length springs to firm it up. Thanks.

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
HokieRich said:
I live and ride in the mountains, and the front end does not feel planted in the curves. I am thinking about going with progressive stock length springs to firm it up. Thanks.
Excellent mod! Huge difference in handling. I put the Screaming Eagle Fork Oil too, no reason not too while you're in there. Some people are using the AMS Shock therapy oil and love it.

·
Darren
2,007 Posts
The only problem I see is that if you were to replace your fork oil with the forks still on the bike, you have to measure it from the top, and if the forks are not exactly vertical, I don't know how you would get an accurate measurement.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hey Rich, I bought the same springs. Want to do the change out together one weekend?

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
ddavis said:
The only problem I see is that if you were to replace your fork oil with the forks still on the bike, you have to measure it from the top, and if the forks are not exactly vertical, I don't know how you would get an accurate measurement.
1.5 liters in each tube, no measuring that way.

Correction! 1.5 Pints in each tube!

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I did mine that way when I went to Progressive springs. I also went with se oil at the same time. I alredy had the bars and riser off, which made it easier, but it was still pretty tough to get the fork cap nuts started with the forks on the bike. I had the bike on a lift, so I felt fairly confident that the oil levels were consistent. When I put chrome lower legs on I took the forks out of the trees, and it was a much easier job. I would just pull the forks out if I was doing it again. Fwiw. Cw

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vesteroid said:
Hey Rich, I bought the same springs. Want to do the change out together one weekend?
We can do that. But I am changing the bars at the same time and have yet to decide which bars. May be a few weeks. Later.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ddavis said:
I would think you could do the math and get close enough. Figure out how many degrees from vertical the tubes are and then compensate for the level. I am thinking it is more critical that the level be the same in both tubes than if the level is slightly off. Unless you over fill it of course. Later.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
It's not a very hard task taking the forks out and your going to have the most time consuming part done just to drain the oil and that is taking the wheel off. I'm not sure on why you must pull the fork apart for, but it makes since to change the seal on it while you have it out and they don't cost that much. I just followed freddie's how to and didn't deviate when I did mine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
nic_a_bod said:
I just followed freddie's how to and didn't deviate when I did mine.
Is that a thread? If so which one?

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
Heeeeeyyyy....wait a minute....

Did I just see my name taken in vain...? :D My ears are burnin'.... :)

Seriously....I hope my "How To" articles have helped out someone in the past. I've written articles on...

> How To "V-Mod" your Screamin' Eagle Slip On mufflers (with apologies to Chopper Steve)
> How To Install a HogPro widened swing arm and 240 wheel and tire
> How To install Progressives V-Rod lowering spring kit

It's just my way of giving back to my fellow Forum members. Without you guys and girls, life would be a little more drab and dreary.

Thanks for being here...thanks for being YOU...and Thanks for your comments on my articles. Glad I could help someone out from time to time.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Which Screamin' Eagle fork oil is everybody using? My dealer has two flavors:

Racing Fork Oil p/n 99909-93R or

Performance fork oil p/n 99881-87

Thanks

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
HokieRich said:
I have searched and read the threads about replacing the fork springs. If you are not changing the fork oil why cant you just remove the nuts on top of the forks and remove the springs without removing the fork tubes from the bike. Im sure there is a reason but I dont know why. Thanks.

That is exactly what I did. Put the bike on a lift and catch the nuts with a towel. Then press them back on with a towel while turning them. 1/2 hour job, tops!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts