Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you self-proclaimed R haters have actually ridden one on the street. Just curious, but it is a question that needs to be asked. Are you speaking blindly about something you have no knowledge of? Again, just curious, but to me, it seems as the majority of the haters have never even ridden an R or maybe have never even seen one in person for that matter. I have asked this question before, yet no one answered. I am not whining, bitching, moaning, or whatever you may think, I am just asking a simple question!!! Let's get the truth out!!

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And you do it so well:stilpoke:

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
ok, i'll be brave, like i tell my dad, everybody is different. i usually tell my dad that when he makes flat out statements about things like that person wrecked that bike by doing this or that etc.

to me, the R looks too much like a sport bike. i have never liked them. the inverted forks, the exhaust, the too high off the ground suspension. I don't like the instrument cluster either, but then again, i don't like the small tach of the "regular" v-rods.

but of course, this is IMHO. if everyone was all the same that would be stupid.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i dont hate the R .. it just wasnt the bike for me.. too tall .. and i didnt like the way it handled..

i havetn hated on it though.. and never would .. just like i wouldnt hate on any other model ..

what i will hate on though is that ugly sundowner seat.. all day every day LOL

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
I have ridden an R model and I don't care for the ride much, but I don't know if I would call myself a "self proclaimed hater". The motorcycle is terribly top heavy, and I don't like the mid controls that came on the bike. For a motorcycle that is 650lbs it sits way too far off the ground. I'm 6ft tall and I have a hell of a time maneuvering the bike when its not moving. These are just my opinions, don't really matter much I have a B model that I love no reason to hate on yall. Although yall should be really careful, yall are a c hair away from being labeled hyper sensitive about your motorcycle.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
Are you serious?

I don't understand why the other R riders even give a sh*t. I love my R. I'm happy with it. Some of the magazine reviews bugged me, but oh well.

Used to be, when I started to read an anti-R post I skipped it. Now I do read them because it's gotten funny to read how stirred up and defensive some people get about it.

Most of them aren't even serious, they're just messing with you because it's funny.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't classify myself as an R Hater at all - it was on the top of my list for V-Rod models when I started looking.

However, I did go to see one in person at the local HD dealership. I even threw my leg over it to see how it felt. The seat height had me on tip-toes (i have a 30" inseam) and I did not like the forward lean to the handlebars. The lack of 'fit' was enough for me to not test ride the R.

Now, my last bike was a Yamaha R6. I looked at the R because it had more sportbike characterisitcs. Interestingly enough - and imho - the sportbike characteristics of the R were what turned me off of the bike. For me, it just didn't fit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I always thought the R was just a strange bike that didn't have a real category

I drove a Street Rod and Night Rod on the same day (friend's of mine) and I couldn't imagine wanting a R ...

It has the comfort (or lack thereof) of a sport bike, but not the sheer perforance of a 600 Japanese bike (at twice the money)

Yet, it doesn't have the look or feel of cruiser (like the Night & V Rods) that just feel right

The bike just doesn't make sense ... sure the lean angles are nice, but if handling was your main concern, is a bike from the VRod family really an option? There are so many bikes are less or equal money that did everything the R did ... only better

The Night Rod and VRod just fit the line better (IMO) ... the R had no place

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hyper sensitive, nope not me!! I am just a little over-protective of my baby, and will defend it at all times. I know that most of the bashing is in good humor, but it does get irritating seeing it all the time on here. We are the RHSC of the RHSC, so I expect a little, but sometimes it is a bit too much!

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i think you are the RHSC of the RHSC cause you guys feel you have to defend your choice..

love your bike.. and love the ride and be done with it..

if some one started bagging on my A iwould tell them i love my bike.. if i didnt iw ouldnt have bought it .. end of story

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess that sometimes I feel the need to defend my choice of bike because I am a guy, and that is what most guys do. Just like Ford vs Chevy, Budweiser vs Miller, etc........ I know I shouldn't care, but it is not in my character to sit quietly while someone is talking trash about my choice of bike, car, etc...

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
OK I am an R hater. I have ridden one. It is not a rider friendly bike I burned my leg on the chrome exhuast, the mid controls with a 4 foot high seat reminds me of being on a Cr 250 at 12 years old. It is the only bike I dropped trying to manuver it in a parking lot. On paper it looks great, when you go to use it, its not what it appeared to be. Kinda like weed, looks good on paper just dont use it. LOL
The R is the first V rod I rode. It sold me on wanting a Vrod. My wife said anything but the R cause i looked like Magilla Gorilla on his little bike. So she bought me a DX.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Streetrodder i now see you have 2 strikes a Ford and a Street Rod. LOL Na man its all good. I am Chevy and DX had to break balls. Now all we need is someone who thinks PBR is better than MGD.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I know I have been quite the Shite Stirrer around here on many subjects but I will never understand people getting Upset about something they bought. Budweiser or Miller? "R" series or "A"? Ford or GM"? "Rolls Royce or Bentley"? I dont see it, now if its Personal (Such as Family etc...) than its a different story. But it was your choice in what you bought, you didnt create it so why take it so personally? Now if you Work for a Company that creates things and you want to fight for that companies pride (even though ir you are not the CEO or High Managment I dont see it either) than feel free. I buy things I like, or that have proven to be reliable and quality, thats all. You can make fun of my choice in Bike, Car, Pants, wardrobe, etc... I just bought the shite, its not my Baby.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I work for Ford, so there :stilpoke: I have a right to take it personally!!

·
2007AW, 2010 Ultra
121 Posts
I remember the first visit to the Harley shop where I bought my AW. The R was the first one I sat on, mainly because it was the only on on the floor. I went in shopping for a Vrod, but after sitting on that I had changed my mind. It felt kinda like my cousins Buell Lightning to me. I bet for a short ride it would have done well, but I was looking for a bit more than that. Luckily there were 2 other models that were hidden upstairs otherwise i'd have never known the difference. I would have walked away from Harley altogether. But if anyone hates what another guy or gal rides, that only demonstrates a closed-minded mentality, and for that there really isn't a cure other than laugh and smile.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
luxlamf said:
I know I have been quite the Shite Stirrer around here on many subjects but I will never understand people getting Upset about something they bought. Budweiser or Miller? "R" series or "A"? Ford or GM"? "Rolls Royce or Bentley"? I dont see it, now if its Personal (Such as Family etc...) than its a different story. But it was your choice in what you bought, you didnt create it so why take it so personally? Now if you Work for a Company that creates things and you want to fight for that companies pride (even though ir you are not the CEO or High Managment I dont see it either) than feel free. I buy things I like, or that have proven to be reliable and quality, thats all. You can make fun of my choice in Bike, Car, Pants, wardrobe, etc... I just bought the shite, its not my Baby.
It is called LOYALTY, something that this country is seriously lacking these days. To some, it is more than just a car, bike, etc.. It is an extension of their personality or their livelyhood. I have never been into trends or popularity, because I prefer to pave my own path, hence the R! The point being I will stand up and defend something I believe in no matter if it is an object or a principle. Must be the Military in me!

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Are there any self proclaimed R haters?

I've never ridden one, but I'm happy to take a theoretical view:

I'd like a V-Rod with more clearance and better suspension than my AW, but I already have mid control sports bikes that are more powerful, lighter and shorter than a V-Rod: I ride a V-Rod because the forward controls make it comfy and easy to chuck around as a day to day / shopping bike. Take away the forward controls and there is no reason for it to be so long and heavy, so why bother? My Dyatona 1200 SE is faster, almost certainly handles better, and has more space for my (long) legs.

If Harley made a forward control R I'd take a test ride and probably buy it. So long as it is mid control I'd rather take the SE or the AW.

'course, if you want to fly an R out to Portugal so I can test it, I'll tell you if theory and practice match up for me :D

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
streetrodder06 said:
It is called LOYALTY, something that this country is seriously lacking these days. To some, it is more than just a car, bike, etc.. It is an extension of their personality or their livelyhood. I have never been into trends or popularity, because I prefer to pave my own path, hence the R! The point being I will stand up and defend something I believe in no matter if it is an object or a principle. Must be the Military in me!
You "Believe" in a Motorcycle? That company could give a shite about you or me, You because they discontinued your model, me because I bought it Used from a private party and didn't do their High Interest Rate loan scheme. Big Business is a Money Making Machine and once it gets yours that swhen I look to see how they treat me. Now for the most part HD dealerships (Not HD because they are 2 seperate things) have been lacking to say the least. Now Mercedes Benz (Which the dealerships are also Privately Owned) treats me like a King because they are interested in my Repeat Business, HD doesnt give a flip about me because I didnt buy my bike from them and I have a Extended Warranty so my repairs cost them more $$ in the long run. They really do not seem interested in ANY business from me actually.
Now you work for Ford, I dont know what capacity you are involved with but its good to see someone take pride in what they do for a change.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts