Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

My wife locked up her rear brake on her '05 VRSCA which eventually led to a classic high-side ejection.

I am wondering if having ABS can help reduce the chance of this happening.....my rationale is that with ABS, the rear brake should not lock up, which would mean the rear end would not tend to get sideways as easily, and since the rear tire is still moving under hard braking, albeit in very small increments when ABS is engaged, the chance of a high-side might be reduced?

My basic question is, in your opinion, if she had a V-Rod with ABS would she be less likely to encounter this situation?

thanks very much for your input

Jeff

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,929 Posts
Classic rear wheel lock up is to be held until the bike stops rolling.

Back to the basics 70 % of braking is in the front brakes.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
suicide and capncarp, thanks very much for the opinions...

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Classic rear wheel lock up is to be held until the bike stops rolling.

Back to the basics 70 % of braking is in the front brakes.
Thanks RSC. Oh we know this all too well. We both take a week long advanced handling class at the beginning and end of each riding seasson and have done so the last 5 years. We are serious about being the most experienced and safest riders possible. She can do things in the friction zone on that mile-long V-Rod that some circus performers might have trouble with.......

This was an accident avoidance situation(car pulling away from a stop sign into the intersection as we were approaching on a state highway....sometimes reflexes trump your training if the situation is immediate and dire enough.....

That's why I inquired about ABS, to help in situations like this.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
suicide and capncarp, thanks very much for the opinions...
NP, I can tell you that I have had this bike with ABS for 4 years now and 30,000 miles. In that time I have had two emergency situations like your wife had. I was amazed at how quickly the V came to a stop in such a short distance which I know saved me. I had complete control with ABS and was very thankful I purchased the option. It has paid for itself easily.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This was an accident avoidance situation(car pulling away from a stop sign into the intersection as we were approaching on a state highway....sometimes reflexes trump your training if the situation is immediate and dire enough.....
That's why I insisted on ABS... Instinct trumps training in crisis situations! When that WhoaShit moment hits, grabbing all the brake you can is all i can manage... I'll let my bike worry about the pumping.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's why I insisted on ABS... Instinct trumps training in crisis situations! When that WhoaShit moment hits, grabbing all the brake you can is all i can manage... I'll let my bike worry about the pumping.
yes, exactly. There have been several incidents we have encountered where her training on with heavy front braking has avoided an accident, once with a deer in the road and once with a dog running into the center of the street. In both cases, she saw the event coming, clamped the fronts hard, then released, and all was good.

Not sure if insurance will fix her '05 or total it, but either way, she will be replacing it with a V-Rod with ABS before she rides again.....and i will be doing the same thing.

Things for the help folks....I am convinced...

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
509 Posts
So far only one panic stop, with ABS straight and true. It does not help much with loose gravel, sand, or if you apply one brake. I have also tried to take whatever advanced rider courses that they offer here. I also go down to empty parking lots early in the morning and do some practice drills, obstacle avoidance, panic stops. Here in South Korea getting rear ended is a problem so you have to keep the bike in gear have a place to go mapped out. ABS is worth the money, I would take it over more chrome.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am convinced that my ABS has saved me from a crash. I had a motorcyclist jump literally right out on front of me while moving down a road faster than I should have been going. I'd have slid right into him were it not for the ABS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts