Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you generally like or dislike the new sound?
I did a K&N intake on my '99 cougar v6 and took out the stock box, I liked the sucking sound it made when I was in park and pumped the gas, I didn't like the drone sound I heard though when driving and then gave er gas.

Did you feel any difference in power?My cougar still felt gutless.

Where did you place the IAT sensor that was attached to the top cover of the airbox?
I read one guy mounted it on top of the Filter Cap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love the sound, but I grew up with the musscle cars of the 60's and 70's. The first mod we did was turn the air cleaner lid upside down so you could hear the brl carb moan. :dance:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Puts on his flame-proof suit:)

Running Topless "Apart from the sound, makes no difference what-so-ever to performance."

That quote comes from the guy (cant remember his name) at Dynojet in Vegas. I called in to see him the other week and he said they've ran the Muscle back to back and it makes no difference.
I used to run mine topless and reverted back, cant say (apart form the slight change in sound) i noticed any change.
Just thought i'd mention it:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Puts on his flame-proof suit:)

Running Topless "Apart from the sound, makes no difference what-so-ever to performance."

That quote comes from the guy (cant remember his name) at Dynojet in Vegas. I called in to see him the other week and he said they've ran the Muscle back to back and it makes no difference.
I used to run mine topless and reverted back, cant say (apart form the slight change in sound) i noticed any change.
Just thought i'd mention it:)
why'd ya go back?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Was in two minds about the sound and the bike had a very slight hesitation around the 2.5-3k range, which as it turned out, had nothing to do with running topless. The guy at DynoJet p***ed on my fireworks, i went in there to buy an AutoTune...he even talked me out of that!!:)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Till I need more HP I am not going to mod the intake. It rains alot in upstate NY and a Hydro locked sized moter will not be covered by warrentee if caught/caused by running topless. I still love the look of 2,4,6,8,or 12 flutes sticking up in the air and sucking it all in without having to run thru filters. Looks, sounds, great, and is how the race cars/bikes roll.
I'm on the street.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran the bike topless today, just to see what all the talk was about.

I noticed a little engine zinging when it was idling and I was sitting on the bike. Nothing different when I cranked the throttle sitting still.

I did notice a DRONING sound when I would open er up on the highway. I did not notice any difference in performance except that when I initally left the house and opened er up a little in first gear for the neighbours on there front step, it did miss or hesitate while I was accelerating, not when I initially cranked er.

Could be just a coincidence cus it was not fully warmed up, but it has never happened before. During my ride, I did give the bike many snicks and 8000rpm shifts and nothing to report, other than the droning.

So I put the intake back to stock and had intended to go for another short ride to compare, but alas, supper was done and I couldn't get away again.

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
My Dyno guy cuts an 8 inch by 8 inch square hole in the top cover and puts it back on the bike. I have no problems with performance or sound. It keeps the structural integrity of the air box and the sensor stays plug in. TAB pipes, Master Tune software and the air box mod. Got 127 horsepower.

Bicep

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
going topless alone won't give you any noticeable ponies, but it will add to the exhaust note.
Just try it in your driveway. Start the bike and let it idle with the top on, then remove it while it's till running. You will notice a little more rumble from the cans.

·
Throttle Happy!
797 Posts
I love the sound, but I grew up with the musscle cars of the 60's and 70's. The first mod we did was turn the air cleaner lid upside down so you could hear the brl carb moan. :dance:
Likewise, to me it just makes good sense to give the motor the opportunity to take all the air it wants.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
there's a video around here and on youtube that Max posted that shows a bike on the dyno before and after topless. Max was even nice enough to have decibel meter to show the increased exhaust note in addition to the slight hp gain.
If I come across the video I'll post up a link... AGAIN
Ok, found the video and it's an '07AW stock top vs. topless with the decibel meter. I can not locate the dyno sheet though. http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=40837&c=503

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Id like to try the 8" square hole cut on top of the airbox and thus keep the integrity of the airbox, but If I do not like it, then Im stuck with it.

On a side note, everytime I come back from a ride, the back cylinder reads 120Celcius and the front 110C. EVERYTIME. And the colder cylinder is the one that gets black soot on it the quickest.

So im wondering if I have an imbalance in the throttles or Fuel Injection. The popping on decel could be comming from the hotter cylinder due to it being leaner.

HMMMM.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ran the bike topless today, just to see what all the talk was about.

I noticed a little engine zinging when it was idling and I was sitting on the bike. Nothing different when I cranked the throttle sitting still.

I did notice a DRONING sound when I would open er up on the highway. I did not notice any difference in performance except that when I initally left the house and opened er up a little in first gear for the neighbours on there front step, it did miss or hesitate while I was accelerating, not when I initially cranked er.

Could be just a coincidence cus it was not fully warmed up, but it has never happened before. During my ride, I did give the bike many snicks and 8000rpm shifts and nothing to report, other than the droning.

So I put the intake back to stock and had intended to go for another short ride to compare, but alas, supper was done and I couldn't get away again.
So to continue with my topless review. I put the airbox back to stock and drove the same path as the topless test. The bike had no noticable power loss, it actually felt more powerful, but I do know that there was no highway WOT drone sound in my helmet.

I like the open breather but dislike the sound. The bike is loud enough with the V&H's on.

On a side note, driving along at 60mph in 5th, I decided to pass someone and dropped down to 4th, and opened er up, I actually went WOT (wide open throttle) The throttle actually was fully open where it had no more, the bike did not explode with power like if I was in 2nd or 3rd. I was just surprised that I got to WOT and the the bike didn't leave me.

All I gotta say though is if you WOT this bike in 1st 2nd or 3rd, your in for a hell of a ride.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts