Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
No but this story about the crack down up in the Malibu Mountains states they are looking for any reason to pull you over and tow away your ride.
Operation Safe Canyons - Homeowners Issue?

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Last week I published a note about the California Highway Patrol cracking down on speeding motorcycles under an initiative called, "Operation Safe Canyons".

Today, I read something more about this on a MySpace Forum, where a biker had actually talked to a CHP officer, and the officer said the operation was spreading to several other areas...

So I ended up talking to a CHP officer tonight.. (no, he didn't pull me over).

He told me that operation safe canyon is spreading to other regions other than Malibu Canyon and the surrounding areas.

They're going all the way up to Angeles Crest, Bouquet Canyon, etc

I thought I'd share what I heard.

Further down the forum, someone posted a link to a news report that was published a couple of years ago, and talked about how Operation Safe Canyons happens to coincide with increasing complaints from homeowners who built homes in the canyons, and that one of the homeowners association announced its support...

The Las Virgenes Homeowners Federation had taken a special interest in the issue just prior to the April implementation of the operation. In an April update, the federation addressed the canyon operation and expressed its strong support. An aggressive stance against canyon carvers is alluded to in language that is evocative of a general's battle plan: "We had a very productive meeting where we discussed various "plans of attack" in place for both Calabasas and LA County.

The CHP contend that Operation Safe Canyons is about safety, pointing out that approximately 8 people per year are killed on the canyon roads.

Of course, 8 road deaths per year is not that much. And considering the CHP is using vehicle-confiscation as a tool to regain control, instead of just issuing warnings and tickets, it appears safety is not really their concern, caving into the fat-cats who're paying off the local politicians.

·
Mildly Retarded
529 Posts
Never. Me and a couple of guys stopped for breakfast at a Coco's last week and ran into a bunch of cops finishing breakfast. They checked out the bikes and we were talking about loud pipes etc. One of them rode and said he firmly believed loud pipes saved lives. I mentioned the helmet and he said he only F's with people that deserved to be F'd with. 4 years in SoCal - never had an issue.

·
One is never enough.
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
luxlamf said:
No but this story about the crack down up in the Malibu Mountains states they are looking for any reason to pull you over and tow away your ride.

I know that for sure. I ride those canyons all the time and they are out IN FORCE on the weekends.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
onexcanadian said:
Yes, all the time in Huntington Beach.
Apparently Anaheim is cracking down too.
\
Anaheim Police Busting Loud Pipes

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Anaheim Police loud pipesThe City of Anaheim is getting tough on bikers by targeting those making loud noise and then busting them for modified exhaust.

This issue raised anger across the biker forums in Southern California because a lot of bikers pass through Anaheim, specifically down a stretch of road called "Imperial Highway", on their way to Cook's Corner, a popular biker hang out in Orange County.

This particular stretch of Impertial Highway lies between Yorba Linda Blvd on the north, to Nohl Ranch Rd on the south. This includes about 3-4 miles of straight road with no stop lights, running through a residential area, and which cars often reach 75mph, forcing everyone else to maintain a similiar speed.

And when bikes have to accelerate up to that speed, it always results in loud noise.

A friend of mine passed along a scanned image of a letter that's being handed out by Anaheim Police to all bikers they pull over....

To sum it up, it's addressed to "Dear Motorcyclist", and says that they're writing on behalf of residents complaining about loud motorcycles. Specifically it warns that if you're planning to ride through their town, you had better make sure you put your stock exhaust system back on.

NEVER MIND the fact that these residents knew they were living right next to a highway where cars race up and down at high speeds.

All of Southern California is experiencing sky rocketing population boom, and this particular place in Anaheim has a residential area with retail and industrial just a block away. This is one of the most heavily trafficked highways in Anaheim, and it's not because it's a great road, it's not. It's just the most convenient road to get from north county over to Cook's Corner.

Places like Anaheim have come to a point where its urban areas are so dense with population, retail, and industrial, that it's an oxymoron to say that residents there are entitled to quiet. It's like living underneath the flight path of a commercial airport, and complaining about the jetliners (Newport Beach are you reading this?)

Urban areas are SUPPOSED to be noisy, it comes with the territory.

If you want peace and quiet, move out to the sticks, like everyone else. Just because you've always lived there, doesn't mean you can have your way with everyone else. Anaheim has become so densely populated, and so developed with retail and industrial, that noise is a fact, not a problem.

Anaheim is already the 10th largest city in California, with 342,210 people (according to Wikipedia), and is the 56th largest city in entire USA. And I imagine with shoppers, workers, and passers-by, there's ten-times that many people in a single day. How do you tell a few million people within a 50 square mile area to "keep it quiet"?

You can't.

The residential area that runs along this small stretch of Imperial Highway is not that big, when you consider it's only those people whose homes back up to the highway. And not all of them are complaining. It's really just a handful of complainers. Yet for whatever reason, the Anaheim PD has really come to their aid.

Me thinks the Anaheim PD is not really concerned about enforcing peace, but are interested in busting more bikers. They recognized the high number of bikers travelling down this road, and found an easy way to dish out tons of tickets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts