Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off happy birthday! I'm getting there myself.

Now to my question. I (as well as many others here) have a set of Kuryakyn turn-signal mirrors. Many, including me, agree that they're not as bright as you'd want them to be. I was wondering if there's a way we could replace the stock LEDs with the higher-intensity automotive ones you're using in your products. I've taken the mirrors apart, they have surface-mount LEDs (1206 SMD) mounted through holes in the PCB. What kind of LEDs are yours? Do you think they would fit into the existing PCB or will it need to be redesigned?

Thanks.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
probably need to be redesigned... the ones I'm using for the signals are through-hole mounted, .300 square LEDs.

What kind of mounting depth do you have to work with?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's some pics. The mounting depth (the distance between the PCB and the inside of the lens) is about 3/16". You should be able to mount through-hole LED no problem. I can mail you what's pictured, it's a spare.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'm in line for that as well, Doc

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd be interested! If Joe can make it, it's gonna be quality!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm running the Zodiac units, which look the same as the Kurys. My leds are amber though, with a clear lens. I'm interested in the outcome of this and the cost, as they're not the brightest of set up.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
V-Man said:
Here's some pics. The mounting depth (the distance between the PCB and the inside of the lens) is about 3/16". You should be able to mount through-hole LED no problem. I can mail you what's pictured, it's a spare.
Please do send it! I have a few ideas for them.

Heavycycles
6114 La Salle Ave. #530
Oakland, CA 94611

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe, it's in the mail.

Please note that although the lens I'm sending is amber the mirrors I have on the bike have clear lenses. What about you guys?

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
yup got it yesterday... still pondering it.

the lens has a texture to it that will make getting a good light pattern out of it difficult. I was thinking of making a new flat lens out of smoked acrylic but that will reduce the available depth for the LEDs... I'll poke at it some more in the next few days and post my findings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts