Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question about Thunderheaders. I ordered mine through the dealer when I bought my bike. They arrived today and I have my appt. on the 21st for installation. I asked them if I needed a PCIII or Race Tuner or ? I was told they come with everything for installation.

I'm new to all this so I don't know if I need something else or everything comes with the set when ordered?

Thanks for your time..

D

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
You will need a fuel management device unless one was included with the sale.

·
STEALTH-ROD
63 Posts
DJ91 said:
Just a quick question about Thunderheaders. I ordered mine through the dealer when I bought my bike. They arrived today and I have my appt. on the 21st for installation. I asked them if I needed a PCIII or Race Tuner or ? I was told they come with everything for installation.

I'm new to all this so I don't know if I need something else or everything comes with the set when ordered?

Thanks for your time..

D
Give us a clue like how much did you pay or what part numbers are on your invoice. I paid about $540 for a Thunderheader and another $362 for a race tuner and $55 for K&N air filter. about $1K

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I paid a grand for parts & labor. I'll get back with the part #'s.

·
STEALTH-ROD
63 Posts
DJ91 said:
I paid a grand for parts & labor. I'll get back with the part #'s.
The price should be more because for 1k I got all the parts and most were discounted a bit, and I did the labor myself. A parts list may reveal more.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The dealer may just flash the Fuel Management system with a new setup to account for the changed pipes etc.

Saying that, dealers often get a bit of stick on here for not have the "most effective" setups at the best of time. They seem to a bit lean and underpowered.

If you do go for a customisable fuel management add-on not only will that cost ya, but also some time on a Dyno to get the best out of the set up.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Don't forget to check the EFI section. You may find a map that someone has already tested and you can bypass the dyno tuning.

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
I am surprised there is a dealer in So. Cal that will do the work for you as far as changing pipes!!

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went in today and they included a download from H-D for the new settings. I'm not looking to do anything else and they said I should be fine.

I realize dealers will push certain things but will I be ok with what they are giving me?

What are or would be the benefits of adding a PCIII or Race Tuner.

They also showed me something from Vance & Hines that you can punch in the numbers yourself and if I ever switched pipes again all I would need to do is get a new set of numbers to punch in?

I would like the best performance and economy that won't hurt the bike....

·
Registered
92 Posts
DJ91 said:
Went in today and they included a download from H-D for the new settings. I'm not looking to do anything else and they said I should be fine.

I realize dealers will push certain things but will I be ok with what they are giving me?

What are or would be the benefits of adding a PCIII or Race Tuner.

They also showed me something from Vance & Hines that you can punch in the numbers yourself and if I ever switched pipes again all I would need to do is get a new set of numbers to punch in?

I would like the best performance and economy that won't hurt the bike....
I wouldn't worry about it hurting the bike since the dealer did it for you. However, you could do better with a fuel manager of some type that could be dyno tuned. Most HD dealers will tune with a SERT or PCIII on a dyno. The Vance & Hines Fuel Pack looks cool but I think is best suited to V&H pipes.

How is your comfort level with the dealer that installed your exhaust? If you really trust them, don't worry about hurting it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
bracket mod?

DJ91 said:

Thanks for your time..

D
Unless they now have the right bracket for the bike you will need to do a mod before you install the th's. Good luck man.

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
meohman63,

I'm letting the dealer install the pipes because I bought them when I got my bike.

My big dilemma is whether I need a PCIII, Race Tuner or would I be alright with just a D.F.O. (digital fuel optimizer).

I heard + and - for both.

I live in So Cal so weather is mostly always nice and warm. I don't plan on changing pipes anytime soon. I don't race. I just want what ever works best with the Thunderheaders and just ride with no problems....

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
DFO or PC3 will work great unless later on you plan on doing motor mods, if you plan on doing motor mods later on get the SERT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts