Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a Rick's tank in my 04B Model and this may be a dumb question but because of this upgrade, doe it mean that the remaining mileage indicator is no longer accurate at all? I now have an additional 2 gallons of fuel on board and it seems that the "r" indicator is reading about the same as it did when I filled up with the 3 gallon tank. Again, maybe this is a stupid question because I guess there may be no way the electronics know that there is an additional 2 gallons of fuel in the bike but I would like know if the system works by consumption or actually fuel remaining in the tank? Any knowledge of this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
Ed

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
I recently installed a Rick's tank in my 04B Model and this may be a dumb question but because of this upgrade, doe it mean that the remaining mileage indicator is no longer accurate at all? I now have an additional 2 gallons of fuel on board and it seems that the "r" indicator is reading about the same as it did when I filled up with the 3 gallon tank. Again, maybe this is a stupid question because I guess there may be no way the electronics know that there is an additional 2 gallons of fuel in the bike but I would like know if the system works by consumption or actually fuel remaining in the tank? Any knowledge of this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
Ed
Ed for what it's worth I never rely on my V-Rod fuel gauge. I set my trip meter when I fill up and go by that. I've done 4 Rick's conversions so far and I'm in the same boat you are with the gauge previously making me nervous long before I needed fuel.

I've heard of people carrying a litre pop bottle with fuel in it to see how far they could go until it runs out. Once it runs out use the fuel in the bottle to get you to a gas station and use that mileage as a benchmark.

Hope this helps.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,151 Posts
Yeah, that remaining thing is not impressive. Last week I filled up after going 125 miles (3.8 gallons) and when done it said r=123 miles. So I don't go by that. You would think it could at least have said 125 since I just went 125.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys!

The problem is that I've become so use to looking down at that "r" number that it's a hard habit to break and now I understand that it can't be trusted. What I have to do now is find out how that number actually relates to what is truly left in the tank and that will involve carrying the liter of gas with me and running it dry. So I'm guessing that what will happen is that the "r" number will reach zero and I'll still be able to go another 50-60 miles. I'm going to test it out probably this coming weekend. By the way with the addition of the Rick's tank, it is so nice to be able to hammer on the bike and not actually see the gas gauge move!
Ed

·
Billy
509 Posts
The problem is that I've become so use to looking down at that "r" number that it's a hard habit to break and now I understand that it can't be trusted. What I have to do now is find out how that number actually relates to what is truly left in the tank and that will involve carrying the liter of gas with me and running it dry. So I'm guessing that what will happen is that the "r" number will reach zero and I'll still be able to go another 50-60 miles. I'm going to test it out probably this coming weekend. By the way with the addition of the Rick's tank, it is so nice to be able to hammer on the bike and not actually see the gas gauge move!
Ed
hey, I worked for about 4 months in Towanda about 16 years ago at the masonite board plant. I met a lot of good people while there and will never forget how cheap liquor by the drink was. 75 cents for Jack or seven and a whole 1.25 for crown royal. Used to hang out at the Rub a Dub Pub, Towanda Motel and the Williamston Inn. Man that was a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I also have the big tank (U.E. Version). I normally cruise around with the clock on and with the old tank it would flip to remaining at the same time as the fuel light came on.

The remaining thing, if it happens as I often refuel at the start of a ride, does not always flip and no longer when the fuel light comes on.

I'm way more relaxed with the larger tank and often ride for 160-200 miles without stopping for gas or a stretch.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You!

Changing over to the 5 Gallon tank was by far the best mod I did on my bike to date. It's really a pain in the a$$ to keep stopping for fuel when the airheads I ride with usually stand there and watch me putting gas in my bike but two things will always be to my advantage:
1) My bike on most days will get to any destination quicker than theirs will if I want it to.
2) I never have the stress of spilling gas all over my freshly polished gas tank because I sit on mine.

A good friend of mine that had consumed a few to many beverages once was filling up his Dyna with the pump handle squeezed wide open and when the load came to the top of the tank he whipped the nozzle out of the tank thinking that this would stop from getting gas all over his nice black paint job. Well, that would have worked had he left the nozzle in the tank and let off the squeeze handle but when he pulled it out, of course it was still flowing full bore and covered his hottie's jeans that was riding with him that night. Talk about wrecking a fun night!
Respectfully,
Ed

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly............

At first it was quite intimidating, especially when you look at the printed instructions that make is sound like changing a turn signal bulb. Now that I've done it I'll sum it up as this, realistically probably the most intimidating part of the entire tank change is lining up the drive sprockets and getting your belt tension correct. The rest was a piece of cake, honestly! My suggestion is to mark your axle adjustment cams with a marker prior to tear down and that may make it less stressful but I would still put a straight edge on the sprockets just to check the alignment. I didn't do this and it was still easy for me and although I'm a mechanic which in my opinion is actually just an unschooled technician, it was pretty straight forward. You'll need to have a 6.5mm tap and a good strap wrench to take the fuel pump assy. out or just buy the wrench designed for taking the top cap off the tank. I will say that the Rick's tank opening at the top had to be sanded out larger slightly because the factory fuel pump/filter system would not fit in the new tank. You'll also need a 4" die grinder or cut off wheel to cut the skid plate shorter. I siliconed all the cut edges to prevent rust and if you don't do this I would suggest either undercoating or painting those edges. Now that I've done one, I'm pretty much like the rest of guys I've read about on this forum that have done this mod. I could probably do it in under three hours. Jacking the bike up and getting the rear wheel on and off is the majority of the work. If you're considering the change over I suggest you go for it and do it yourself. Believe me I lost a bit of sleep when the tank first arrived because I get a little crazy when my bike is laid up and not running but this is my own fault for only having one bike. I had a great deal of help from members of this forum, especially Bryan. Go for it!
Respectfully,
Ed

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not that hard to change out, did it with my 15 year old son, just take your time, nothing complicated about it.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
when my gauge needle hits the "E" I have 1 gallon left

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm Curious.................

When you hit E, what does your "r" indicator read? This weekend I'm going to push it to learn where it actually runs out and about how many miles I can get on a full tank. The problem is that unlike any bike I've owned, the fuel mileage can vary quite a bit depending on my riding style. If I'm riding without a helmet on the gas mileage is great but when I put on the leather jacket and full face helmet it goes through fuel like crazy but of course, I'm where ever I want to go in half the time also.
Ed

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
My "R" is at 0 but I don't use the "R". By the gauge I show empty but there is 1 gallon left due to the larger capacity at the bottom of the tank. If you run it till the empty mark and fill up you should know how much is left in the tank. Ricks Tank has 4.9 gallons usable. I had run so low that I was able to put in 4.8 gallons one time and never ran totally out.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Your gallons remaining indicator will gradually catch up with the new volume of the larger tank. I installed my tank at about the 20,000 mile mark, and now, after an additional 35,000 miles it has caught up to where it will tell me I have 165 miles to go with a full tank. Of course I routinely go over 180 miles on a tank. But, it's getting better; by the time I roll over 100,000 miles it should be pretty close.

On the other hand, my fuel guage works perfectly. When it is fully down on the "E", I have about 20 miles left, around two quarts. Of course, the light comes on when the guage is above 1/4 tank, so isn't really much help. I use the guage, and set my trip meter just in case.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Your gallons remaining indicator will gradually catch up with the new volume of the larger tank. I installed my tank at about the 20,000 mile mark, and now, after an additional 35,000 miles it has caught up to where it will tell me I have 165 miles to go with a full tank. Of course I routinely go over 180 miles on a tank. But, it's getting better; by the time I roll over 100,000 miles it should be pretty close.

On the other hand, my fuel guage works perfectly. When it is fully down on the "E", I have about 20 miles left, around two quarts. Of course, the light comes on when the guage is above 1/4 tank, so isn't really much help. I use the guage, and set my trip meter just in case.
that's been my exact same experience...

about 20 miles left when the needle buries itself on 'E' - I have run it out of gas twice, both time about 20 miles after 'E'

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the bigger tank on my 06 and so far gauge seems accurate. I wonder who HD subs the fuel gauge out to because it seems almost everyone has problems with them. Time for a new vendor.

·
06 Night Rod
385 Posts
Respectfully,
Ed
I think most of the extra fuel in the Ricks tank, like the trick tank, is in the lower part, so the remaining mileage indicator doesn't know it is there, unless like vrodder said, it can learn the new volume over time. My mileage remaining indicator is way off. When I fill up, it says I have 180 miles till empty, and I still have the small tank. I am lucky to get 120 miles. Setting the trip meter at each fill up is the best way. The fuel gauge is just an estimate at best.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts