Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do all V Rods have 02 sensors and if not, what year did they start using them? I ride an 04B with stock cams but D&D slip ons, SE air filter and a local stealership did the mapping. It has no SERT but I'm thinking about buying one but know nothing about what to buy. Any and all help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully,
Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Good Question.........

How do they make adjustment without a tuner? ECM? (showing my ignorance?)
I'm here to learn also. Another newb question would be if I buy a fuel management system like the SERT, does the bike have to go to a dyno for it to be properly tuned and can a SERT be readjusted for different pipes I may mount in the future? Again, it would be going on an 04B model without the 02 sensors. Again, all information shared will be greatly appreciated!
Respectfully,
Ed

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
How do they make adjustment without a tuner? ECM? (showing my ignorance?)
they don't much. Non O2 sensor bikes have a very limited range of available adjustments, O2 sensor bikes have a larger range, but not much. The ECM HD uses is more than capable, but HD chose to keep it dumbed down.

I'm here to learn also. Another newb question 1)would be if I buy a fuel management system like the SERT, does the bike have to go to a dyno for it to be properly tuned and 2)can a SERT be readjusted for different pipes I may mount in the future? Again, it would be going on an 04B model without the 02 sensors. Again, all information shared will be greatly appreciated!
Respectfully,
Ed
1)yes, for the SERT you need a DYNO. Most others you should get a dyno, but maps for most combinations can be found in the EFI section here.
PC (PowerCommander) have a list of maps on their website, but a dyno would be the best map. PC-V with auto tune or ThunderMax with autotune you load a basemap and just ride and the bike will adjust/tune for your set up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AOW Quote...............

1)yes, for the SERT you need a DYNO. Most others you should get a dyno, but maps for most combinations can be found in the EFI section here.
PC (PowerCommander) have a list of maps on their website, but a dyno would be the best map. PC-V with auto tune or ThunderMax with autotune you load a basemap and just ride and the bike will adjust/tune for your set up.

AOW, Tell me, how does the Autotune models adjust without a 02 Sensor or is it mandatory that bungs are welded into the pipes and if that's the case, I can forget about that. Frankly, my bike is currently running flawlessly. No hesitation, just a little popping when backing off in lower gears, no flat spots at all and it pulls like a top fuel dragster to this old man but in the future if I wanted to go with the D&D full system and needed to add a SERT, I guess I have no choice when adding it but to schedule some Dyno time. Is that correct? I'm really not looking for more speed but more interested in knowing that the bike is tuned to the best it can for not only smoothness but efficient fuel consumption also. The only reason I might change the pipes is because from the previous owners wife riding on the back, there's some minor scratches on the chrome and it kind of bugs me and if I'm ever going to replace the pipes, I'd probably go with a full set rather than slip ons.

By the way, thanks so much for your help.
Respectfully,
Ed

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
"in the olden days" there was a dealer download they could install in the ECM that was for the screaming eagle pipes I believe. This download did not require the SERT, it was done with the digital tech and as of '08 model year or so it was no longer available. Many dealers would put in that tune when changing to aftermarket pipes, as it was "close enough".

Ed, if/when you get serious about a tune and pipe change, give Dave Stoddart a call at JD's Cycles in Bethlehem. He's a good guy, a fair guy and he does know how to tune a V-Rod. He also sells the TTS Mastertune - the people who made the original SERT - and it's a superior tuning product in my opinion if you'd prefer a true tune to an autotuning system.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The Autotune uses wide range O2 sensors. You will need the bungs for the Autotune to work.

·
Free Wheelin'
241 Posts
"in the olden days" there was a dealer download they could install in the ECM that was for the screaming eagle pipes I believe. This download did not require the SERT, it was done with the digital tech and as of '08 model year or so it was no longer available. Many dealers would put in that tune when changing to aftermarket pipes, as it was "close enough".

Ed, if/when you get serious about a tune and pipe change, give Dave Stoddart a call at JD's Cycles in Bethlehem. He's a good guy, a fair guy and he does know how to tune a V-Rod. He also sells the TTS Mastertune - the people who made the original SERT - and it's a superior tuning product in my opinion if you'd prefer a true tune to an autotuning system.
That's what I did with my bike back in '08. The previous owner put pipes on it, but never put any fuel adders on. This was a quick and dirty fix that still works great today.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
V Rod Pete.................

Thanks for the info on JD's cycles. Bethlehem is only an hours ride or 45 minutes on V Rod. When I'm ready,he's the guy I'm going to see.
Thanks again,
Ed

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Thanks for the info on JD's cycles. Bethlehem is only an hours ride or 45 minutes on V Rod. When I'm ready,he's the guy I'm going to see.
Thanks again,
Ed
:thumb: Dave's a very stand up guy, you will like dealing with him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts