Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Im not sure what the use of it is for a v-rod, i could see if you where road racing. Dyno jet make something similar....It's just an engine kill switch from what I understand..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
full power shifts without the clutch,,if you practice you can shift without the clutch just as fast as you can with this ignition interrupt.. just a tiny blip of the throttle with the upshift can be very quick and very smooth..

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
full power shifts without the clutch,,if you practice you can shift without the clutch just as fast as you can with this ignition interrupt.. just a tiny blip of the throttle with the upshift can be very quick and very smooth..
Man, how do you do that? Serious, I'm not being sarcastic... With the turbo, it would hit redline so fast that there was no way I could manually shift fast enough even without using the clutch...

The only way I could go thru the gears at the same shift point each time without hitting the rev limit was with the Pingle EZ shift kit... After a while, I didn't even have to see the shift light, I just went by the sound of the motor and hit the button...

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm up on with bliping thats how I power into the turns, blip to match the ground speed. And I can blip in the higher gears with no problem, on the turbo as Tbones said those first two gears its difficult due to the non consistant rpm rise.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
if you can hit the shifter fast enough you can do the quick blip that unloads the transmission allowing the shift.. i ran a 9 sec kawasaki drag bike without an air shifter until i installed a 1-2-3 auto trans and started running 1.30 60fts.. couldn`t handle the 1-2 shift that quickly and remembering not to blip the throttle on the first 2 shifts and then blip the rest was too much to remember..

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
One of the cool things that can be done w a SERT is adjusting the rev limiter for shifting.
Of course the 1-2 shift sucks on a stock V-Rod transmission,but you can load the shifter w your foot and the trans will shift at whatever rpm you have the limiter set at.
I can shift my transmissions just as smooth and fast as any shifter on the market.Just let up after each ratio and prepare for the net one.This is part of how I can make a stock V-Rod run as quick as the pro riders do.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
LOL you guys are better than me, I'm an old man and my reflexes ain't what they used to be... I'll stick with my push button :)

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I keep upward pressure on the shifter and just let it shift automatically on the limiter between 1st and 2nd. It hits the limiter so quick with a 26 tooth and I can't react any faster with the shift light. I then use the light and blip the throttle to shift the other gears. I have the light set to flash a couple hundred rpm below the actual point where I want to shift as there is a slight mental delay between seeing the light and blipping the throttle forward.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
I keep upward pressure on the shifter and just let it shift automatically on the limiter between 1st and 2nd. It hits the limiter so quick with a 26 tooth and I can't react any faster with the shift light. I then use the light and blip the throttle to shit the other gears. I have the light set to flash a couple hundred rpm below the actual point where I want to shift as there is a slight mental delay between seeing the light and blipping the throttle forward.
X 2!

That is my plan when if I finally get a shift light, launching at 5K or above hits the rev limiter only a couple feets ahead! I thought thr hardest part to train would be the reaction time, but it's been the shifting that have induced my most obscene profanities down the track... :soapbox: :banghead: :spank:

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The hard part is training yourself to remember to release that upward pressure and then reapply it after it makes the 1-2 shift.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
The hard part is training yourself to remember to release that upward pressure and then reapply it after it makes the 1-2 shift.
True, AAAAND...apply enough pressure upward to make sure it reaches 2nd gear and doesn't stays dancing in neutral, which will make the limiter hit even sooner and you make a fool of yourself... Don't ask me how I know this..........:hidesbeh:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
LOL you guys are better than me, I'm an old man and my reflexes ain't what they used to be... I'll stick with my push button :)
i know what you mean.. i was talking about the drag racin i did in the 80`s... i just work on them now.. my dragbike is out in the shop and sometimes i sit on it thinking about racing again and find i can`t get my tired old legs folded up enough to get them on the pegs..the seat on the bike was only 20in off the ground and you had to fold up pretty good to ride it...

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
V&H did one (that they don't do anymore - and I've begged Craig & Byron to dig me up one from service parts):

http://vhmotorsports.com/product_zoom/vrod-speedshifterkit/speedshifterkit.html

that was an integrated power shifter (using a planetary gear motor drive & centrifugal electric clutch - not frikkin air bottles or solenoids), that integrated the linear sensor into the shifter assembly, and had a standalone fuel/ignition interrupt controller that could be programmed to autoshift at a set RPM. So you set it for 9,250 - hold the throttle wide open, and it runs up the gears automatically (or you could pushbutton up or down shift).

It was OEM'd by translogicuk - and I've been begging them to make me one too - they had their OWN V Rod version - but like V&H discontinued due to LACK OF INTEREST/SALES. They OEM the sensor for the DynaJet one (and probably a few others as the leader in this technology in the sportbike world).

http://www.cokerraceproducts.com/crp-translogic.htm bottom of page for vrsc stuff.

I would KILL for one of these units (and I MEAN THAT, like 2 shots center mass and rip it right off your bike). Imagine having one of these, hitting a 50 shot and autoshifting from 3-5? Get the F OUTTA TOWN! It'd be more fun than a SPACE SHUTTLE LAUNCH!

I'm willing to bet if I could get a FIRM COMMITMENT for 10-20 of these, I could get translogic to do a run of them...

GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

Rick

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I have the V&H unit installed on my bike. I originally purchased it to use with mids (pegs only) so that I could push button shift when on the mids. I retained my forward controls and now have the option for either or. I found it a bitch to get it dialed in so that I could use the speed shift or the controls but it was well worth the effort. It is a blast and has totally changed my riding experience especially on the gas.

Translogic were still making a unit last year but it was designed for speed shift only and couldn't be used in conjunction with the existing manual shifter. When I spoke with them the tech said they had too many problems getting them dialed in to work with the controls. Other than that they hadn't had any problems with them. I wouldn't think it would take much for them to convert one of those.

I hope you find one or convince them to manufacture them again. It's a lot of fun to use and a nice clean install.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
I have the V&H unit installed on my bike. I originally purchased it to use with mids (pegs only) so that I could push button shift when on the mids. I retained my forward controls and now have the option for either or. I found it a bitch to get it dialed in so that I could use the speed shift or the controls but it was well worth the effort. It is a blast and has totally changed my riding experience especially on the gas.

Translogic were still making a unit last year but it was designed for speed shift only and couldn't be used in conjunction with the existing manual shifter. When I spoke with them the tech said they had too many problems getting them dialed in to work with the controls. Other than that they hadn't had any problems with them. I wouldn't think it would take much for them to convert one of those.

I hope you find one or convince them to manufacture them again. It's a lot of fun to use and a nice clean install.

Darel, I was watching your pics and your website and you definitely have some of the finest bikes one can imagine! You are certainly an artist! :notworth:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts