Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to the stealership today ask for a quote to hide the wiring in my stock bars,tell me if this sounds right ,but it doesnt sound as easy as on some of the threads ive read,he said he has to cut all the wiring shrink wrap it, put it in the bars, reconnect and solder it all back together,should be able to get it done in 3 hours @ $75 per hour,,if all goes well,is that an average time to do it in if you know what your doing ,and also do you have to cut all the wiring,,lastly if i have to pay out the money am i wasting it by doing it on stock bars or should i get some better ones now,,even if im happy with the stock ones,whats every ones opion on the stock ones anyway,,,,,thanks

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The 3 hrs sounds fair for a shop rate to me.The part they tell you if everything goes right sucks.If it doesn't go right,then the shop and the tech just won't make as much money as they anticipated.
Sign the RO for 3 hrs + shop supplies and hold them to this as an exact,not an estimate.

The wires do not have to be cut and soldered.They can be removed from the connector where they meet at the clam shell and snaked thhrough the bars at the new drilled holes.The turn signal wires can be put into the holes where the black plastic wire holders are now and run down the inside of the bars as well.
Hiding the wires really cleans up the front of the V-Rod IMO.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
consealed wiring

I've done it had a some problems with the throttle cable there a little tricky,you just have to be careful and don't make any shape bends or they'll stick.If you want that clean look climax controls has a great setup for about $2,300 with several differant styles to chose from.There 1 1/4" bars but everythings internal very cool .
bwds said:
went to the stealership today ask for a quote to hide the wiring in my stock bars,tell me if this sounds right ,but it doesnt sound as easy as on some of the threads ive read,he said he has to cut all the wiring shrink wrap it, put it in the bars, reconnect and solder it all back together,should be able to get it done in 3 hours @ $75 per hour,,if all goes well,is that an average time to do it in if you know what your doing ,and also do you have to cut all the wiring,,lastly if i have to pay out the money am i wasting it by doing it on stock bars or should i get some better ones now,,even if im happy with the stock ones,whats every ones opion on the stock ones anyway,,,,,thanks

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
Do you want to only put in the electrical wires?

3 hours sounds about right (when I do it myself). But as mentioned, do not let them cut the wires. Disconnect them from under the left side cover. The longest part for me was drilling the bars. The stock HD bars are very strong and hard.

The pins come out of the connectors very easily and Max has a good explanation on how to do it.
It's not hard to do it yourself. If I can do it, ANYONE can. But you should have the manual to go through the procedure of removing the front brake lever.

(Found it....)

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1082&highlight=deutsch+connector+pins+remove

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Did mine in my kitchen.Was a lil bit of a pain,but not the hardest thing.Finding places to hide my air-ride stuff was harder

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Do not cut the wires, take them apart in the connectors at the front of the bars. Took me about 20 minutes to run my wires through my bars.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Max said:
Do not cut the wires, take them apart in the connectors at the front of the bars. Took me about 20 minutes to run my wires through my bars.
:them:

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
Yea I believe max did a DIY thread a long time ago one of the first DIY if I remember right. It took me about 45 mins to cut the bars and hide the wires start to finnish. F- 75hr for three hours.

·
Glory to Hypnotoad!
541 Posts
I just ran the wires through a new set of DX Bars, it is not hard at all, the wires for both left and right connectors are easy to remove, (Use a very small screw driver to release the clip that hold the wire in place and it will come right out! (Make a diagram of the wire locations, BEFORE you take them apart!) it is not difficult, but take your time and make sure that there are no sharp edges where the wires enter the bars(I used a dremel to grind the sharp edges down after I drilled out the bar dimples!). It is probably not a bad idea to armor with shrink wrap, (I used electic tape), to avoid any chance of your wires chaffing!

Fred

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
1096369fred said:
It is probably not a bad idea to armor with shrink wrap, (I used electic tape), to avoid any chance of your wires chaffing!

I put rubber grommets in the holes of the bars. My holes are 1/2" at the ends and a 3/4" oval in the middle (2 x 1/2" overlapping each other)
I also Dremel'd them smooth first.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
just installed my new A-model HD drag bars tonight.

I was just gonna throw them on and do the wires later, but i went ahead and ran them through. It isnt hard, just time consuming and a little aggrivating. From start to finish it took me right at 2 hours, and I spent about 25 minutes trying to locate electrical tape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts