Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my problem; About halfway through last season I changed my rear tire.. Wasn't the first time i took off the rear wheel to bring it to mechanics so they could mount a tire on... Anyway, I come back with my new tire, put everything back on the way it should (or so I think) and on my way I go.

A few days later, while filling up at the station, I noticed a strong smell of gas, and was horrified to see gasoline all over my boots.... S H I T :banghead::banghead:

This is the result :

So now, I'm in the process of changing the gas tank, of course I'd like to avoid that to happen again and I would like to pick your brains to see If you could tell me what caused this.

I did not have a belt tensioner, but I did make a mark on the cam before untightening the 36mm nut. That being said, my money is on belt tension as the #1 culprit. Also, I am pretty positive I reassembled the spacers in the correct order, here's a picture below showing the exact order of my spacers.

So, what do you guys make of this??

Attachments

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, tank, swingarm, pulley, belt, rear wheel and tire (180) are all stock

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
I don,t see the belt tension as the cause. I think that you put it back together and did something wrong. Maybe reversed a washer or spacer. Was the belt very close to the tank when you put it back? Did you check the belts distance from the tank? Thats a hell of a lot of rubbing to happen so fast. Did you not smell anything or see smoke. It could have been worst lucky it did not burn. UE engineering makes a tank belt protector check it out I have one with my UE tank and it did have some rub marks but nothing like what happened to you. Good luck and get it back on the road soon. curley

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I don,t see the belt tension as the cause. I think that you put it back together and did something wrong. Maybe reversed a washer or spacer. Was the belt very close to the tank when you put it back? Did you check the belts distance from the tank? Thats a hell of a lot of rubbing to happen so fast. Did you not smell anything or see smoke. It could have been worst lucky it did not burn. UE engineering makes a tank belt protector check it out I have one with my UE tank and it did have some rub marks but nothing like what happened to you. Good luck and get it back on the road soon. curley
:them:

The belt shouldn't flex too much from side to side, it is more than likely a spacer issue IMO...

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks curley... Unfortunately, when at rest everything looks ok visually.. The belt seems in line with the sprocket and pulley..

I am suspecting an engine mount problem, which could maybe explain my other problem http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148953 but I can't see anything wrong with them.

Most of the damage over one long run on the highway.. I noticed the damage halfway there, but it was already to llate to do anything about it. So i left it this way the rest of the summer, I didn't have any down time to take the bike appart.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:them:

The belt shouldn't flex too much from side to side, it is more than likely a spacer issue IMO...
What i was also thinking at first, but they look like they are in the correct order... I uploaded a pic showing the exact order in which they are assembled. If you see something wrong with it, let me know.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I too agree about the belt not deflecting sideways enough to cut into the tank if it was loose.

There was a thread some years ago with a belt that sawed into the stock tank with a stock wheel set up in it.I don't remember what the problem or the fix was.Maybe try searching around some old threads and see if you can find the one I'm thinking of.

Other than the dumbass factor of spacers getting swapped,hows the inside lip of the rear pulley? This can come loose.what about the pulley bearing?
How long has it taken for the belt to eat into the tank after you R&R'ed the wheel assembly for the new tire? If the spacers were swapped,the belt would have done this right away.
On problems like this,you have to sometimes play detective and eliminate all the things that it can't be.At some point in the elimination process,you'll catch the culprit.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Elrod.. As stated above, the spacers are in the corrcet order to the best of my knowldege. I noticed the gasoline on my boots roughly a month after swapping the tire.

BUT A DRAWING BUT WOULD GREATLY HELP :)

I don't have the service manual, would one of you be kind enough to pull the rear wheel assy' from the manual that would allow me to comfirm that they are in fact correctly assembled?

How about engine mounts??

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
My question is did you feel any unusual vibrations in the seat of you butt? If you did not feel any vibrations that would rule out a lot of problems. I know that when I'm riding I can feel the engine and everything turning and if something changes I look into whats up. Was the rear view blurred? Thats a good indication.... curley

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My most accurate butt sensor did not detect any changes :D

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Looking at the parts book you do have the correct order for the spacers.

Reading over the other post leads me to believe you have lots of flexing going on from somewhere. As you have the swinging arm out at the moment the engine will move a lot because this also locates the rear of the engine. Alignment is by the stabilizer link at the front part of the engine. Check this part over carefully for excess play allowing your engine to rotate in the frame and the belt to rub the tank.

Get the service manual and parts book asap to help you through this. Very worth the money!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
if you had all the spacers in their correct position then all thats left to consider is a collapsed pulley bearing, or too loose a belt[which you didnt check apparently]maybee even the swingarm bearing has packed up but id put my money on the other two being your problem.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at the parts book you do have the correct order for the spacers.

Reading over the other post leads me to believe you have lots of flexing going on from somewhere. As you have the swinging arm out at the moment the engine will move a lot because this also locates the rear of the engine. Alignment is by the stabilizer link at the front part of the engine. Check this part over carefully for excess play allowing your engine to rotate in the frame and the belt to rub the tank.

Get the service manual and parts book asap to help you through this. Very worth the money!
Thanks for double checking this for me :notworth:

I will look into the front mount once I reassemble the back.. I've been putting off buying the darn manual forever, I should really get to it :)

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pecee, all my bearings look & feel top notch... I am really going to look into the front mount, i feel there something fishy going on over there.

·
enigmas
340 Posts
I have a Rick's Tank fitted and the belt comes within 3/16" of the tank...which makes me nervous. When I rebuilt my bike (burnt to a crisp) I adjusted some of the spacers (.020") on my lath to better cnetre the rear disc in its caliper...it always lightly rubbed one pad which really annoyed me. When I fitted the Ricks tank I also made a stainless steel guard plate that fits tightly against the tank (screwed to the frame) to protect it from just such an issue. As close as it is...it runs true without touching the tank. I just like the insurance...Rick's tanks are expensive!

My surmise is after you fitted the wheel it may have moved on the adjustment cams fractionally. It's a big axle and you want that nut tight.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!

Doing some cleanup and banging the bottom plate back in shape, I noticed this :

The bottom frame rails supporting the gas tank are Bent!! I'd say there's an offset of about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.. Enouhg to bring the tank to the belt I guess.

Now how do I go about knocking that back into place??? Tried with a heavy mallet, it just bounces. Tried to pry it back with a 2x4 but I almost knocked 2 people holding the bike on their ass...

I know the correct way to do this, is to weld chains to the frame and use a chain block.. But that implies dissasembling the bike completely, and repainting the frame. I really want to avoid that.

Any ideas?

Btw, I supsect this happened 2 years ago when i dropped the bike on a soft surface; it did not show any damage but I see now that the exhaust pushed back quite a bit against the railings. :banghead:

Attachments

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
I'm glad you found the culprit, and hope someone has a fairly easy fix.

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Somehow, I'm not too optimistic :(

·
Kiss the Ring
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Both rails remained parallel.. They are joined by a plate at the bottom. they both point west :(

1 - 20 of 60 Posts