Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the first hot day here and it seems like my fans are not coming on. I have messed with the relays and they seem fine (I swapped them and the bike does start fine). I read on the forum that when you pull the max fuse and put it back in, the fans should kick on for a second.. is this true?? I have an 08 D.
I know that I pulled the fuse over the winter and I really don't remember the fans kicking on. I am 100% sure they worked two days ago... Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the service and electrical manual and I can't figure out what the engine temp warning light looks like either... what is the little image that will come up??

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
Mine is an 02 and my fans might come on if I am at a stop light too long and the temp is over 95. Ive pulled the max fuse before and my fans wont come on, but again, mines an 02.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
fans didn't kick on with my '07AW either when maxi pulled and reinstalled.
It doesn't take much by way of debris, to prevent the fan from spinning

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
Just checked my 04, in a line below the Speedo from left are the High Beam indicator, the "N" for neutral, the "oil can" for oil pressure and a little Thermometer for Temp.
It does not light up with key on as do the other lamps so I will assume it only lights when truely above temp.
Actually the symbol is a vertical thermometer above a horizontal wavy line to represent Water
Hope that helps

·
Registered
398 Posts
I know when i checked valve lash i did not have the main electrical connector by the the throtle body completely seated and when i turned my ignition switch on the fans came on, i was like wtf. the engine coolant temp. sensor is incorporated in the connector along with the coils, and MAP sensor. the connector is orange on the inside. unhook that connector and the fans should come on. you will get codes so you will have to clear them. hope this helps. Oh yeah mines a 03 might be different. pulling max fuse and my fans will NOT come on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My fans have been coming on regularly, but the today (and it is the hottest day by far) they are not coming on. I have sat idling for a while and they still don't kick on. Is there a way to 'test' them? I just noticed that the little engine light is now coming back on after it goes out (so when I hit 'run' and the light goes out then it comes back on). I assume that means a code is being thrown. I have not had the engine temp light come on yet so I don't believe I am overheating the engine... I just think something is wrong with the fans as they are not coming on

·
Premium Member
11,245 Posts
The little engine light coming on indicates you have a problem. Pull the DTC's (Diagnostic trouble codes) to see what is the problem. May be related to your fans.
Heee are a couple of links
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3&highlight=diagnostic+trouble+codes
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3&highlight=diagnostic+trouble+codes

Other codes are available but these should suffice.

The ECM, when it determines it's time to turn the fans on, will put a ground on pin 2. This activates the Fan relay which in turn turns on the fans.
1. Swap the fan relay with the system relay.
2. Try applying ground to the White/Red wire on the fan relay or ECM Pin 2.
3. Apply 12v and ground directly to each of the fans.

Incidentally when pulling and reinstalling the maxi fuse my fans sometimes come on sometimes not. So its a crap shoot there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts