Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a tire change on my 06 R and discovered the drive side wheel spacer was broke in half.
I wonder what would have happened if it had fallen out. This was the original
tire so it's never been messed with. I just wanted to share.

I'm also thinking about making a new one, I being a machinist. Anyone have
a preferred material for wheel spacers? CRS, Stainless?
BTW I Just got a new 200 AVON Venom for $142 on PBay :)

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
Chet said:
Doing a tire change on my 06 R and discovered the drive side wheel spacer was broke in half.

I made all my wheel spacers outta 304 stainless.Easy as he!!.Face,turn,wakashua,cutoff,and polish.

·
Registered
310 Posts
When I changed my swing arm to the Chrome one I found the same thing. The bike only had 2,500 miles on it. I ordered a set of Chrome spacers and replaced both sides.

Has anyone else found this on their bikes?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya my bikes still under warrenty, but do you think I'd let the dealer touch it?
No uckfay'n way.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Chet said:
Ya my bikes still under warrenty, but do you think I'd let the dealer touch it?
No uckfay'n way.
Even though you don't like your dealer and do your own work,you should still call and let Harley know what is going on w your V-Rod.
I met and spoke w some of the engineers yesterday at the Rally plant meeting and they really need our input on problems like this,they want this input.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Elrod, I agree. But talking to the dealers in my area is like asking for help at
Home Depot. For instance my rear brake light switch is bad. I ask them if
it's covered. They said I may have tampered with it.
Do you have a link that gets you to the High mucky-muck feedback dept?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Chet said:
Elrod, I agree. But talking to the dealers in my area is like asking for help at
Home Depot. For instance my rear brake light switch is bad. I ask them if
it's covered. They said I may have tampered with it.
Do you have a link that gets you to the High mucky-muck feedback dept?
As difficult as it is sometimes to get through to the customer no service 800 #,this is where I was told to call and document anything,good or bad,not the dealer.The people can help at the 800 line,it's just a big PITA most of the time to get through.There isn't a WWW link to HD customer service.
Without customer input we will never get anywhere.The people that work on the V-Rod platform really do listen to us,on this forum and from single owners.
Just take a look at some of the refinements that we've seen for 07 and 08,they came from us!

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine looked exactly the same when I changed my wheels/tires at 3,000 miles. Had a buddy make me new ones out of stainless. So far so good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was polishing my bike one day and noticed cracked spacer.Got new chrome one from dealer $29 .Not lucky enough to have somebody in machine shop on hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is aluminum an option as far a material choice? Not sure there would be
any problem as the axle seems to be cad plated.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Chet said:

301 1/2 hard if you can find it. Did you get those Avon Venoms from an individual or a company that I can get a set? Best price I've found is $158 for front and $161 for rear.:moped:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Chet said:
Is aluminum an option as far a material choice? Not sure there would be
any problem as the axle seems to be cad plated.
I would go with 301 1/2 hard steel.:moped:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hd-v-rodder, I just got lucky on the Tire. The guy l got it from looks like
some kind of Ebay pawn it type.

·
FireBum
485 Posts
Chet said:
You're going to dig the hell outta that Venom. Sticky sticky tire. People say soft tires don't last long but they last longer than spinning tires.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK I wasted an hour trying to call HD customer service like Elrod asked.
First call waited 20 minutes, operator hung up on me instantly. 2nd call wait 20 minutes operator doesn't know what a Streetrod is, thinks I have a Dyna. I finally said its a V-rod, she put me on hold for 15 more minutes. operator comes back on, asks if I want to leave a message. I said fine. No call back.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Chet said:
OK I wasted an hour trying to call HD customer service like Elrod asked.
First call waited 20 minutes, operator hung up on me instantly. 2nd call wait 20 minutes operator doesn't know what a Streetrod is, thinks I have a Dyna. I finally said its a V-rod, she put me on hold for 15 more minutes. operator comes back on, asks if I want to leave a message. I said fine. No call back.
Chet,
I finally opened up the images you and mack500 posted. Those spacers look like PM parts (made from powdered metal). It's hard to confirm without seeing them first-hand. I hadn't heard about any spacers breaking until this post so my guess is that HD switched to a PM part and there supplier doesn't have there process working right. If they are PM, it's common to see this kind of failure when the sintering or pressing isn't right, it's nearly impossible for traditional steel spacers to fail this way.

I agree with you on the MOCO help line. I've called them three times and never talked with an actual V-Rod Tech and the information I received was worthless. I'm also not aware of an 800 number. The only one I've seen listed is (414) 343-4056.

I'm sure Elrod is right about the MOCO wanting feedback but you'll need to go to Missouri or get one of the Missouri Factory forum members to read your post, it's not likely you'll get a useful response from Wisconsin.

If you're going to fix this yourself, I agree with others that mentioned using a free machining grade of stainless like 303. Al alloys can be used (the ones PM supplies are Al) but they will corrode eventually and it's not near as durable.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
VrodG said:
Steve I saw one at a dealer in NY, I thought it was a cast part.

Hell I've been wrong before. ...
Greg,
If they're steel (stainless or not), I doubt they're cast. The only steel casting technique that could produce the finish I see in the pictures posted above is "investment" or what some call "lost wax" and that's too expensive for a wheel spacer. Traditional casting would also be too expensive because additional machining would be required to clean them up. A forging would never fail like that.

I'd bet on PM because of how they're failing, what they look like, and what the MOCO is likely to use. BTW, I remember when you posted your pictures but they're too blurry to see any detail (like you mentioned in your post.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts