Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
F2NV
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tis the season to change your key fob battery.

If not, I hope you know the secret handshake to start it via the PIN.

Here are the PIN steps in case someone doesn't know

For anyone trying to set their 5 digit PIN in their F's security system here is how it is done:

Turn the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
Press the left turn signal switch 3 times
Press the right turn signal switch 1 time and release
The current PIN will display in the odometer
Enter the first digit (a) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal a times
Enter the second digit (b) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal b times
Enter the third digit (c) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal c times
Enter the fourth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal d times
Enter the fifth digit (e) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal e times

To test the new PIN do the following:

Turn the ignition ON
Within 2 seconds of turning the ignition on press both the left and right turn signals at the same time and release
The odometer will display 5 dashed (-----)
Enter the first digit (a) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal a times
Enter the second digit (b) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal b times
Enter the third digit (c) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal c times
Enter the fourth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal a times
Enter the fifth digit (e) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal e times
Press the start button and the bike will fire up

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Tis the season to change your key fob battery.

If not, I hope you know the secret handshake to start it via the PIN.

Here are the PIN steps in case someone doesn't know

For anyone trying to set their 5 digit PIN in their F's security system here is how it is done:

Turn the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
Press the left turn signal switch 3 times
The current PIN will display in the odometer
Enter the fourth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal d times

To test the new PIN do the following:

Turn the ignition ON
Within 2 seconds of turning the ignition on press both the left and right turn signals at the same time and release
The odometer will display 5 dashed (-----)
Enter the fourth digit (d) of the new PIN by pressing the left turn signal a times
Press the start button and the bike will fire up
This is also the security disarm sequence, if you need to get the bike started, dead fob, lost fob or whatever. Yes, I've changed both fob batteries as part of my spring check list items and the disarm sequence is burned into my brain as well as the PIN, should I ever need it or get pissed off with the Security feature itself.
Ron

·
"Vrod King"
923 Posts
2032 is the battery size for the fob. Remember 2032.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Funnily enough, I just had Wife pick up a few of these batteries for this exact purpose.

·
119WHP/88lbsTQ
138 Posts
Good to know...getting a pack tomorrow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you for this PSA! I replaced the batteries in both of my FOB's and also changed the PIN/code. Also, I made sure that I could actually perform this procedure to start the bike without the FOB present. Took me about 10 minutes before I figured it out, and discovered that it worked consistently if I immediately pressed both turn signals after turning the ignition on. If I didn't do it quickly enough it wouldn't work.

·
F2NV
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for this PSA! I replaced the batteries in both of my FOB's and also changed the PIN/code. Also, I made sure that I could actually perform this procedure to start the bike without the FOB present. Took me about 10 minutes before I figured it out, and discovered that it worked consistently if I immediately pressed both turn signals after turning the ignition on. If I didn't do it quickly enough it wouldn't work.
Good point trying and practicing prior to needing it. Dont let your break down be your Guinea pig to use this. Practice first before. For an analogy, get the alarm system before the break in.

Ride safe!!

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
Good point trying and practicing prior to needing it. Dont let your break down be your Guinea pig to use this. Practice first before. For an analogy, get the alarm system before the break in.

Ride safe!!
Hmm. Speaking of... Was pondering upgrading to the Smart Siren II on the SG. Should probably stop by the dealer and get that ordered.

Of course, we're getting another 3" of snow right now, and no telling how much longer the leg needs to heal before I can take either bike off the kickstand. But once it warms up a little I can start wrenching and modding, at least...

And yes, I have batteries ready to go in the fobs. Should probably get another pack and do the cages too...

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
...... aaaaand fob batteries are done.

@DaveK-- if you get the alarm, be aware that it draws about 90-100mA all by its lonesome-- and there's no way to stop the draw other than disconnecting it (which is six miles of unfunny considering where it's located). That's about four times what a normal bike will draw from electronics, clock, etc.

A tender is not a bad idea when the bike is in storage-- that stupid little alarm can and will kill your battery in just a few months.

Just a friendly head's up speaking from experience.

R.

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
...... aaaaand fob batteries are done.

@DaveK-- if you get the alarm, be aware that it draws about 90-100mA all by its lonesome-- and there's no way to stop the draw other than disconnecting it (which is six miles of unfunny considering where it's located). That's about four times what a normal bike will draw from electronics, clock, etc.

A tender is not a bad idea when the bike is in storage-- that stupid little alarm can and will kill your battery in just a few months.

Just a friendly head's up speaking from experience.

R.
Yeah, I've already got one of the V, and I leave it on the tender almost all the time. The SG already has the siren, just not the radio link to the pager. Dunno why they didn't just spend the extra $2 and put the good one in. Didn't realize it until I was heading for MWT last year, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't pair my pager to it. (I thought I had done that before - apparently not. Duh!)

Mod list is pretty short this year, but I guess the mod money will go towards a decent helmet then. <shrug> Looks to be warming up starting tomorrow, so the bug will actually start to get to me...

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have that shit memorized! Several times I've done this dumb thing where I put the FOB on top of my toolbox next to my bike. It is close enough to start the bike which I always do before backing out of the garage just in case it won't startc bc I can't push it back up the hill. Then i get where I'm going, and when its time to leave, WHERE THE F IS MY KEY FOB!!!?? After learning this lesson several times my FOB goes immediately in my pocket...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts