Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a bike like the vrod has 115HP or 125HP more power than it needs to get the bike up to speed quick and in 5th takes you to max speed so how would a six speed be better. I can see a bagger that is pulling more weight to get up to speed and sports bike I can see if they did not have more gears they would not be able to keep the front down on take off because of so much power and I can see car's and truck's that is pulling more weight with less power need's more gears. But if you have a bike like our how is a six speed better if you already got the power to pull the bike I'm not saying one is better than the other Just trying to find out why it would be.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
One advantage could be as an overdrive for fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Well I can say with a properly spaced six speed you could have a lower first gear and a higher sixth gear (compared to the original first & fifth), this would be helpful to give you more closely spaced gears for say mountain riding where an upshift going uphill would now not bog the RPM's down as much, and still have lower RPM's at higher cruise speeds for a more relaxed feel ( some don't like the higher Rpm feel and sound ) and better fuel mileage and range. In reality the Revo engine has so much RPM flexibility I just don't think it's necessary - you just rev the snot out of it instead of upshifting and bogging the engine for example. Quick fix - get a 30 tooth countershaft pulley and call it a day. Got mine, putting it on soon matched with a new engine with about 25 more Hp so pulling that gearing will not be a problem, but even stock it works fine - H-D even delivered the Euro bikes with the 30 Tooth & the longer belt. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
i dont think a higher top gear will help fuel economy seeing as a 28 t front sprocket gets about the same as a 30 and and shorter spacing between gears will mean changing more often and loosing torque advantage on a bike with only 9k rev limit.a 26 t front gives that shorter spacing feel but just doesnt get going fast enough before changing gear,kina looses the feel the long pull gives like when pulling out into trafic and nailing it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I kinda thought a 26 tooth with a 6th gear would be a dream come true. My 28 tooth puts me in a weird RPM range when cruising 55-60ish and the bike just doesn't like that 4000 RPM range. SO I find myself going 65-70 to get it where it is happy, but then I am turning 48-5000 at 80 and its a just plain loud and thirsty.

I know the 30 tooth would fix the top end RPMs but IM not willing to give up my low-end zip. This is why a 6th would be great for cruising 75+ and still retain full power in the lower gears.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
26, 28, 29 ? 30 Tooth ?

Well unfortunately a sixth gear will never happen, that ship has sailed with the bike out of production, and like Pecee says you don't want to loose the torque advantage. I had a 4 cyl. car that I built and if I raced someone I would shift 1-3-5 and skip 2 & 4 to use the extra power and torque I built in and gain fwd thrust with less shifting. Surprised a lot a guys, a little car punching way above it's weight, left 'em behind, even some V 8's. So the Revo ? yea if I lived in the mountains I would keep the 28 or maybe even go to a 26 for serious canyon carving. Here in flat Florida my bigger engine (or a Turbo) will be wasted with too short a gearing so toss a 30 on there and let the extra Hp & Torque pull the bike ahead - once 1st gear is above 3500 Rpm it really doesn't matter anyway - you can rev to 8750 + before second gear and on through the gears - but when you get to cruising speed the lower revs save gas and add range - just ask Cyberfish out in Cali he saw a big increase and spoke of it here on the site - but he's probably long distance cruising more than racing. Can't find a 29 tooth, so I'm going 30 - anyone got one ? :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Im in the middle of flat land Iowa and do mostly highway cruising but still ordered the 26 tooth. I love jamming gears and cant stand how much of a pooch the Vrod is below 4500 RPM. It will be nice to be in a more logical RPM range in town. I get caught between screaming in 1st or chugging in 2nd. This will bring my 2nd gear rpms up a bit to make it a little smoother for in town.

I had a '79 Mustang Cobra and skipped 3rd for the same reason you did. I would use a long 4th to suck all the go juice and pull away from other guys.

Well unfortunately a sixth gear will never happen, that ship has sailed with the bike out of production, and like Pecee says you don't want to loose the torque advantage. I had a 4 cyl. car that I built and if I raced someone I would shift 1-3-5 and skip 2 & 4 to use the extra power and torque I built in and gain fwd thrust with less shifting. Surprised a lot a guys, a little car punching way above it's weight, left 'em behind, even some V 8's. So the Revo ? yea if I lived in the mountains I would keep the 28 or maybe even go to a 26 for serious canyon carving. Here in flat Florida my bigger engine (or a Turbo) will be wasted with too short a gearing so toss a 30 on there and let the extra Hp & Torque pull the bike ahead - once 1st gear is above 3500 Rpm it really doesn't matter anyway - you can rev to 8750 + before second gear and on through the gears - but when you get to cruising speed the lower revs save gas and add range - just ask Cyberfish out in Cali he saw a big increase and spoke of it here on the site - but he's probably long distance cruising more than racing. Can't find a 29 tooth, so I'm going 30 - anyone got one ? :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
One advantage could be as an overdrive for fuel economy.
Oddly enough, no. I remember my 07 softail with 6 speed. It required more throttle to hold the same speed then in 5th even though the rpms were less. Fuel economy was actually worse in top gear. The 07s gearing was too tall and not enough torque to efficiently make use of it, even though it was 1-1 gearing. The Revolution has even less torque so the effect of overdrive would be as bad or worse. Otherwise, 6 speed with final drive of 1-1 just makes for more shifting. I just don't see the gains in that as the 5 speed seems to cover it pretty well as is. Besides current space in the box makes it impossible to do the extra gear anyway.
Ron

·
VRSCF
1,299 Posts
I had a 30 tooth to start with on my Euro model, but then changed to 28tooth to liven it up a bit. It really is like a different bike so much more responsive in gear with the 28t, especially with a pillion.

Now, if I add another 20-30bhp with some cams and headwork, then I would go back to the 30tooth, and keep the responsiveness AND better cruising rpm in 5th

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Oddly enough, no. I remember my 07 softail with 6 speed. It required more throttle to hold the same speed then in 5th even though the rpms were less. Fuel economy was actually worse in top gear. The 07s gearing was too tall and not enough torque to efficiently make use of it, even though it was 1-1 gearing. The Revolution has even less torque so the effect of overdrive would be as bad or worse. Otherwise, 6 speed with final drive of 1-1 just makes for more shifting. I just don't see the gains in that as the 5 speed seems to cover it pretty well as is. Besides current space in the box makes it impossible to do the extra gear anyway.
Ron
There must be a graph somewhere that shows torque+gearing+weight+wind resistance intersecting at the perfect formula.
OP did say a bike 'like' the V Rod so I'm basing my answer on that.I was thinking X Diavel 6 speed and traction control which makes full use of the available mumbo to smoke a V Rod and could achieve better economy in the process.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Yes Tassie, but not 2 up - the X Diavel is not a good 2 up platform. Apples and Oranges. A Hyabusa 2 up with a fat chick on the back will spank a Diavel so what else ya got ?
And bogie you are singin' my song - if you got the power, gear it up for the road - nothing worse than a 600 Hp Chevelle with 4:11 gears on the highway. Gear it down for the city and/or lower power, gear it up for the country and/or higher power, every situation is different and no one answer for everyone.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Yes Tassie, but not 2 up - the X Diavel is not a good 2 up platform. Apples and Oranges. A Hyabusa 2 up with a fat chick on the back will spank a Diavel so what else ya got ?
And bogie you are singin' my song - if you got the power, gear it up for the road - nothing worse than a 600 Hp Chevelle with 4:11 gears on the highway. Gear it down for the city and/or lower power, gear it up for the country and/or higher power, every situation is different and no one answer for everyone.
Christ you'll be quoting darkside towing a trailer next,give us something believable:banghead:

Attachments

·
Warming sceptic
127 Posts
Not this old chestnut again - sigh. What if it had 6 gears, or 7 or 8? What if my uncle had tits then he'd be my aunty. Can't happen as everybody knows, just sprockets and wheel and tyre sizes to play with. Move along, nothing to see.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,668 Posts
Not this old chestnut again - sigh. What if it had 6 gears, or 7 or 8? What if my uncle had tits then he'd be my aunty. Can't happen as everybody knows, just sprockets and wheel and tyre sizes to play with. Move along, nothing to see.
Agree:
Same discussion every time technology brings about another gear, be it car or bike.

Until the CVT is perfected the numbers of gears will increase over time. My new truck has 10, and those forums have the same old argument "You only need six", and of course on my old truck the argument was "You only need three". Back before the internet was around and the five speed manual came about everyone was saying a four speed was better, and of course in auto land the two speeds offered by the powerglide was plenty and three were not needed.

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Gears are so friggin' yesterday.

All I can say is why do we have gears at all ? 3,4,6,8,10 It's 2018 - How about infinite ? Think the Jetsons are shifting gears ? :) The CVT is in my opinion the wrong approach route to the correct transmission of the future. I have had ideas for shiftless transmissions for 20 years - just not the time or $ to pursue them. Hydrostatic transmissions have been used very extensively in many industries, I think even Honda M/C tried one once, gonna look that up again. At the end of the day all these electronic shifting transmissions are for fuel efficiency and to keep the engine in the sweet spot of power, and to a lesser degree for passenger comfort. Someday soon from the bottom of first to the top of 10th the ratios will have no gaps, up or down shifts, delays between etc. and will still be fully capable of engine braking, regen power or not, depending on circumstance. Hope I invent it, I've got a retirement lifestyle I'm looking into that's pretty expensive. :blahblah: :D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Ta Daa

Introducing the 1 speed. HD exec's placing condo deposits as we speak.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Lets go on a 350 mile one day ride Tassie, I'll be shifting a 5 speed Dinosaur poop burning I/C engine, you on your 1 speed, with your new " I hate gasoline " tattoo on your arm and lets see who gets to the destination first - you might beat me, with the battery charging trailer you would be towing with the gas powered electric generator in it following you around ! No doubt electric bikes will be cool, just not practical outside the city yet. I think you called it right - a " Pizza Joint Bike " and you didn't even realize it. Wheres the Hybrid ?

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,668 Posts
All I can say is why do we have gears at all ? 3,4,6,8,10 It's 2018 - How about infinite ? Think the Jetsons are shifting gears ? :) The CVT is in my opinion the wrong approach route to the correct transmission of the future. I have had ideas for shiftless transmissions for 20 years - just not the time or $ to pursue them. Hydrostatic transmissions have been used very extensively in many industries, I think even Honda M/C tried one once, gonna look that up again. At the end of the day all these electronic shifting transmissions are for fuel efficiency and to keep the engine in the sweet spot of power, and to a lesser degree for passenger comfort. Someday soon from the bottom of first to the top of 10th the ratios will have no gaps, up or down shifts, delays between etc. and will still be fully capable of engine braking, regen power or not, depending on circumstance. Hope I invent it, I've got a retirement lifestyle I'm looking into that's pretty expensive. :blahblah: :D
I think you just said CVT is the wrong approach and then described one as the perfect tranny. My though on a CVT is not just a fancy torque converter like the junk ones of today, but something that can seamlessly and constantly alter gear ratios, kind of like what you described.

Here is an example of the type of innovation I'm referring to. Pie in the sky for now, but it will happen.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.