Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally upgraded my 2006 VRSCD front and rear with Progressive. Front with standard height Progressive fork springs, and rear with 12.5" 444 standard. Let me tell you, it was worth it! Completely improved the feel and handling of the bike! Feels much more stable and predictable (even with the VRod's raked out posture). Far more enjoyable to ride, it's a whole new bike! Highly recommended. Should have been my first upgrade.

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
93 Posts
Good to hear you got a nice result.

I might get around to that also... haven't found the factory VRSC susp too bad so far, but maybe I need to borrow a bike with air or progressives at the next meet up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to hear you got a nice result.

I might get around to that also... haven't found the factory VRSC susp too bad so far, but maybe I need to borrow a bike with air or progressives at the next meet up.
I had done a lot of reading on different forums about the benefit to upgrading stock suspension on some bikes. Kind of had low expectations.
The final push for me was constantly bottoming out the rear when riding two up and going over bumps.
So I thought since I was going to be doing the rears (which was way more expensive!), an extra few hundred to do the front would be worth it.
It just made everything feel tighter and more responsive. Most of my riding is solo, so I can adjust the rear pre-load for passenger as needed. But I think the tighter more responsive feeling up front is what I really like. It makes trail braking into corners feel so much better. Overall, I feel like I can go faster more confidently.

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
93 Posts
...The final push for me was constantly bottoming out the rear when riding two up and going over bumps...
Yes, I don't think it has too much instability braking or turning 1up, but I am probably ignorance is bliss and probably would feel the upgrade there.

I agree that is a pretty annoying that you have to take speed bumps oblique and slow and road level changes for bridges and road construction at fairly low speeds to not risk the VRod scraping even when riding solo - or certainly with a passenger. I had just assumed that was the super-low ground clearance for a heavy bike... 5inches for ours and most of the VRSC models and only 4inch for DX if I remember correct? Those are clearances lower than almost any production sport bikes ...for a Harley that is hundreds of pounds heavier with bigger bouncier tires!

That's good to hear of your results with progressive, though. I might price it out soon also... probably next time I need a front tire. The bikes are too old and low cost to make air rear susp viable unless I could really find a deal 🎅

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
186 Posts
I finally upgraded my 2006 VRSCD front and rear with Progressive. Front with standard height Progressive fork springs, and rear with 12.5" 444 standard. Let me tell you, it was worth it! Completely improved the feel and handling of the bike! Feels much more stable and predictable (even with the VRod's raked out posture). Far more enjoyable to ride, it's a whole new bike! Highly recommended. Should have been my first upgrade.
I also did the 444's 12 1/2 inch heavy duty. The only problem I had was on long road trips and loaded the saddle bag rack and back rider peg bracket will hit the belt guard on a bad bump or dip in the road. Of course traveling at HIGH speed a hit a few of those dam bridge bumps! And with about 80 lbs on the back boom it hits the belt guard. :( I like the 444's they ride great but I think I'm going to go back to 13 1/5 inch.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also did the 444's 12 1/2 inch heavy duty. The only problem I had was on long road trips and loaded the saddle bag rack and back rider peg bracket will hit the belt guard on a bad bump or dip in the road. Of course traveling at HIGH speed a hit a few of those dam bridge bumps! And with about 80 lbs on the back boom it hits the belt guard. :( I like the 444's they ride great but I think I'm going to go back to 13 1/5 inch.
Yeah, I was worried about the 12.5 causing clearance issues, but I think for normal riding I'm okay (as they are stiffer, and I'm only 150lbs). We'll see if I have problems two-up.

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
93 Posts
...Had a local shop complete the labor (around $300 to install) but you can do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined.
Wait, didn't you install a tire yourself... but paid to have a shop do rear shocks???
Or did you just not want to mess with fork springs/lube/etc?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts