Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, just got a price from a private shop for installation of springs for $500, the harley dealer was a mere $350 for labor. I wanna do this job myself, guess i need to purchase a $60 service manual, a bike floor jack, a socket to fit the top nut and what else? My ? is this,can this job be done by a diy er, i'm an auto mecanic so this job doesn't look too difficult, would appreciate any advice on how to do this!

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Help, just got a price from a private shop for installation of springs for $500, the harley dealer was a mere $350 for labor. I wanna do this job myself, guess i need to purchase a $60 service manual, a bike floor jack, a socket to fit the top nut and what else? My ? is this,can this job be done by a diy er, i'm an auto mecanic so this job doesn't look too difficult, would appreciate any advice on how to do this!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got er done, piece of cake, now if someone would advise me on how much to shorten the pvc spacer to improve the ride, softer would be better for me. They are even with the top of the forks now, and the ride is ok, guess i need to experiment!

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I was a little apprehensive myself when changing them out but my bud Robbie made it look easy. How do you like the ride now?

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
glad to hear it worked out for you. I was a little apprehensive myself when changing them out but my bud robbie made it look easy. How do you like the ride now?
:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like it fine but still a little stiff on these woreout Houston streets. How far below the top of the forks are your spacers?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
robbie who?

·
EXCELSIOR
8,502 Posts
Don't know about others but my spacers stick up above the tubes. I have to compress the springs to get the cap threads to engage.
You don't want to shorten them more than the distance the cap screws into the tube. You want some amount of preload even if it's minimal.
It might just be the Progressive springs are stiffer than stock. Most complain the stock springsa are too spongy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts