Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm making changes to the bike & went to sell the upper chrome belt guard. When I pulled it I found a nasty scuffed area. My guess is the collar on my 440's rubbed this. It's pretty much a surface scuff not eating thru the guard. Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
I have the same thing only the chrome belt guard is fine and the shock collar is scuffed. I figure it had to do with my spacers. I have the turn signal relocaters so I couldn't use the spacers that came with the shocks. I never felt it rub and only noticed it when I turned the collar to adjust the shocks. This happened shortly after I put them on 2 years ago and I haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hafnutz67 said:
I have the same thing only the chrome belt guard is fine and the shock collar is scuffed. I figure it had to do with my spacers. I have the turn signal relocaters so I couldn't use the spacers that came with the shocks. I never felt it rub and only noticed it when I turned the collar to adjust the shocks. This happened shortly after I put them on 2 years ago and I haven't had any problems since.
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that the spacer should be slightly larger because of the collar. For the cost of the shocks I can understand why they would skimp.

·
What -- Me worry?
471 Posts
I have the same issue on mine. I've learned to just turn the adjusting collar to the same spot when making adjustments so the contact is always in the same place. No other problems noticed -- just cosmetic. Agreed -- the spacers supplied with the 440s should be a tad thicker. There's enough bolt length to accomodate.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
You guys are correct. The spacers that come with the shocks (440's) are not adequate, especially for the SE2 bikes. I ended up going to ACE Hdw. and buying variuos sizes of Chrome spacers and used those. Shocks are now straight and clear the belt guard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts