Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody with progressive front lowering springs put two top-out springs like in figure 3? they said it is a 2-inch lowered. My 03 uses one springs (figure 2 setup) and I am wondering how low it will be with two springs. Thinking of doing figure 3 on my 08.

Attachments

·
It is what it is
2,632 Posts
Which option did you choice and did you remove your complete front end to complete the install? I was thinking just removing top tree pinch bolts and the top cap bolt pulling out springs then installing lowering springs.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually I found out that for VROD setup has 1 top-out spring (figure 2), the other setup is for airheads.

yes, you have to remove the whole assembly if you are going for the lowered setup, because you still have to install the top-out spring. If you use the standard length then you can just do drop-in.

progressive has the new drop-in lowered spring kit, but none for VROD application, only for the F.

·
It is what it is
2,632 Posts
Thanks looking to manufacture a tool to fish the lower items out really trying to do it quick and clean without the reomoval of front end thanks for the info.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO you'd better just disassemble the fork.... I did it myself and it is not that hard. Look for flying freddie post here for step-by-step instruction to install progressive lowering springs. also Deuce posted PDF version of 03 service manual you can refer to.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The long spring that fits in the top is the one,along w the spacer on top of it is the lowering part of the kit.
If you choose to disassemble the front end to install the short spring,you discard the factory short spring and only use the 1 short spring that comes in the Progressive VRSC lowering kit.
Want your V-Rod to launch properly without tie down straps after the lowering kit install? Use the SE off road racing oil in place of the factory oil along w the top out spring in kit.This along w the kit,will give you 1 inch of travel up,and 1 down.
Just swapping the oil out to the off road oil makes the bike handle and launch much better than the thin weak oil from the factory.

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you choose to disassemble the front end to install the short spring,you discard the factory short spring and only use the 1 short spring that comes in the Progressive VRSC lowering kit.
per progressive instruction:

To achieve a one inch (1") lowered height, leave the stock
top out spring on the damper rod and install one Progressive
Suspension top out spring on the damper rod with the stock
top out spring (see figure 2).

so you are supposed to ADD, not replace.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/updates/3055-110HarleyForkLowerKit.pdf

did you do what you said above instead, elrod? what is the difference - feel, handling, lowering distance - compare to progressive recommendation?

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
You do need to add a spring to lower the front end one inch, and that spring goes at the bottom of the fork - so you will have to remove the fork in order to achieve the lowering.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Oh well,I've done a few of them and just replaced the the little spring,installed the big spring and the plastic spacer and they work great.I used the se oil.
I have just under 4 inches of shock from the bottom of the lower tree to the top of the slider.It has less than 1 inch of travel.
The rears are cut factory shocks to 12 inches.This lowered the rear to where the bottom of the fender is even w the bead of the wheel.It has about 1 1/4 inches of travel set on 4.I weigh 150 and the bike handles great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts