Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read Flyin_Freddie's prior thread regarding installing the Progressive fork springs and am using it to install them on my 03 Vrod-A.....it was very helpful!

Question.....In the service manual the diagram shows Part 21 -- "Spring Collar" ....... which is about an 11" metal tube that sits on top of the stock spring.

Do you re-install this when using the Progressive Spring since the Progressive seems to use the much smaller PVC rather than this 11" "Spring Collar".

I talked to a techie at Progressive and he said not to use the PVC but to use the Spring Collar ........... I do not think he knew what he was talking about, but I could be wrong.

Dan

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
You should only use the pvc.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
IMO you may want to try the standard weight oil first before the heavier oil. I put the heavy oil in with the springs and found it to be pretty stiff, but if you do a lot of stunts or tight fast curves the heavier oil would be better. I put the standard oil in after the heavier for a little bit softer ride.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spaz said:
IMO you may want to try the standard weight oil first before the heavier oil. I put the heavy oil in with the springs and found it to be pretty stiff, but if you do a lot of stunts or tight fast curves the heavier oil would be better. I put the standard oil in after the heavier for a little bit softer ride.
I already purchased the SE Oil as recommended in numerous threads.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Yup...used the PVC spacers and SE heavy duty fork oil...no more front end dive!

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
Spaz said:

For a softer ride can't the pvc spacer be cut smaller so there is less preload also.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
nic_a_bod said:
For a softer ride can't the pvc spacer be cut smaller so there is less preload also.

There's not much preload w the pvc spacer in the kit so use it as is.
IMO if you leave the smaller spring out,the one in the kit and just use the factory small spring w the SE oil the ride would be perfect for you guys and gals looking for a little smoother ride over sharp bumps.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Mine feels good now with the normal oil and springs from progressive, the front end doesn't dive very much especially compared to the factory springs and the small bumps are not as jarring. It just felt like at high speeds with the heavier oil that the front wheel was not in the road and the small sharp bumps ie road cracks and slightly uplifted joints were jarring and really noticable. I don't do the twisties and most of my riding is normally straight line so I put the regular oil in the forks.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
The tech actually cut a bit off the PVC spacer to adjust my preload somehow. I think he tried to explain it to me but it got lost in the translation somewhere. Whatever he did, the ride is great!

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
NightMare said:
The tech actually cut a bit off the PVC spacer to adjust my preload somehow. I think he tried to explain it to me but it got lost in the translation somewhere. Whatever he did, the ride is great!
A lot of people suggested trimming the pvc about 1/4" to soften it up but when I put the forks together there was very little pressure on the springs to get the caps on and by trimming them it would have lowered my front end which I didn't want it lowered so I just put the lighter oil in and now I like the feel. Just giving MHO on the matter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NightMare said:
The PVC preload spacer which came with the Progressive kit is about 2-1/2" long.

The Progressive instructions state ........... For Fine Tuning:

Pre-Load: Spacer length can be decreased to lower the ride height or increased to raise the ride height and firm up the ride. Adjust in 1/4" increments.

Fork Oil: Unless otherwise noted we (i.e. Progressive) recommend the stock oil viscosity and level. Oil viscosity can be changed to alter damping. Heavier oil will increase damping. Lighter oil will decrease damping. Change in five weight increments (i.e. from 10 to 15 weight). Oil viscosity will have more effect on rebound damping than compression damping. Too high a viscosity can create harshness on sharp edge bumps. The oil level also affects the ride. Too high an oil level and the forks will fell too stiff, too low and the bike will bottom out, feel too soft and tend to dive.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I have always used heavey oil and a longer then supplied spacer, try the oem spacer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts