Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one I messed up and have double posted I ment to start a new thread and this is also in sport bike exhaust, I did not mean to post it there. I do not want to ; this time be a thread jacker.


Registered User




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 323
Progressive fork springs and 13" 440s,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NightMare and others that have Progressive fork springs and 13" 440s, can you comment on how much you like them. trying to go thru the search engine it seems the stuff about shocks and forks is all over the forum road map. I am also going to check on RicoSuave who I think has Works performance and one of the Scotish riders has Olhins shocks if I recall.

Is there one stop shopping for this info for a camparsion of the upgrade shocks for the V Rods and or Streetrods?

David
 

·
Part-time mod
Joined
·
10,859 Posts
I love em! For the record, I have the 13" 440's on the back and the stock height Prog. fork springs on the front with SE heavy duty fork oil. The ride is great! I am very happy with them! If I had a larger budget, I would've loved to get a set of Ohlins or Works, but alas, I didn't. I think I spent just under $500 for the whole deal. Great feel for the road and bump dampening.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you sometimes ride hard in twisties or is this just for a nicer ride?

And thanks for the info!!! :biker: :kiss:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,719 Posts

·
Part-time mod
Joined
·
10,859 Posts
vrodsweeper said:
Do you sometimes ride hard in twisties or is this just for a nicer ride?
Read this post, and you decide. Yes, in the twisties, they felt very secure. I never had a shred of doubt about my traction (the Metz's had something to do w/that too) and even highway cruising, it's nice and smooth.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on; if I get the chance to ride with you maybe I will get dusted but hell it will be fun. I had a R1 toy with me and found the limits of stock suspenders, did not find the Dunlop over the edge of traction adhesion. I have only pushed the bike hard this one time. Most roads nearby to get to challenging corner speeds you need to exceed 3 digits the ones in 2 digit range are state or national parks and full of tourists. Too many cages out to get much cornering time in. Seems like trak time can be the best choice.

Do you have a lot of great riding in your area?

David
 

·
Part-time mod
Joined
·
10,859 Posts
I've got crap riding in my immediate area...I have to travel to find anything good. We've got too many bad roads and bad drivers here to make riding any real fun unless it's late at night with no traffic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Late at night the traffic is gone,one place near Vegas they lock it at sunset and reopen about 7 am. It is a one way road very well maintained only safe from cages for about an hour or 2 on the weekdays. Have not checked a road also like above federal maintained that goes from Boulder City to Overton both in Nevada, it is along Lake Mead. The other problem at nite is burros and horses we have both in the wild and at night they are sometimes out. Have also not on the bike yet but have been bird hunting with the mirrors of my pickum up truck before. One more reason I wear a full face helmet, no picking feathers out of my mouth. Is The Dragon near where you are?

David
 

·
Billy
Joined
·
3,464 Posts
vrodsweeper said:
Do you sometimes ride hard in twisties or is this just for a nicer ride?
And thanks for the info!!! :biker: :kiss:
Nah, she rides like a girl :stilpoke: :angeldev: :hidesbeh:
 

·
WHATEVER
Joined
·
3,739 Posts
That package is one of the best performance mods you will add to your bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
NightMare said:
I love em! For the record, I have the 13" 440's on the back and the stock height Prog. fork springs on the front with SE heavy duty fork oil. The ride is great! I am very happy with them!

I have just installed this same setup. Initially I found the ride firm but after riding through some twisties the bike feels a lot more planted. Also with the boss on the back the ride is heaps better and no bottoming out.

Hope this helps
 

·
'04 1300
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
I've had the same setup for the past year or so, and the fork springs for the last 3 seasons. The difference is incredible. Less front end dive, better ride, and the bike feels far more planted in the twisties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
reply

I put progressive 440s on the rear, but left the frontend alone. There really isnt much difference, believe it or not, considering the design of the vrod. What do you need great suspension for? Most people benefit the most in the turns and twisties. Going down a straight road you dont really need exotic suspension. And a V-rod with all its rake and low ground clearance will not lean far enough to make it effective in cornering, so spending a lot on suspension is merely "overkill". You wont use it. BTW, I got a great deal on my 440's, thats why I put them on. I would never have considered it if I had to pay the normal price. I'll do the front only if I find a similar deal. :D
 

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Jackflash said:
I put progressive 440s on the rear, but left the frontend alone. There really isnt much difference, believe it or not, considering the design of the vrod. What do you need great suspension for? Most people benefit the most in the turns and twisties. Going down a straight road you dont really need exotic suspension. And a V-rod with all its rake and low ground clearance will not lean far enough to make it effective in cornering, so spending a lot on suspension is merely "overkill". You wont use it. BTW, I got a great deal on my 440's, thats why I put them on. I would never have considered it if I had to pay the normal price. I'll do the front only if I find a similar deal. :D
What length 440's did you put on? 13" stock length, 12" or 11.5"?

.
 

·
'04 1300
Joined
·
3,070 Posts
Jackflash said:
I put progressive 440s on the rear, but left the frontend alone. There really isnt much difference, believe it or not, considering the design of the vrod. What do you need great suspension for? Most people benefit the most in the turns and twisties. Going down a straight road you dont really need exotic suspension. And a V-rod with all its rake and low ground clearance will not lean far enough to make it effective in cornering, so spending a lot on suspension is merely "overkill". You wont use it. BTW, I got a great deal on my 440's, thats why I put them on. I would never have considered it if I had to pay the normal price. I'll do the front only if I find a similar deal. :D
I have to disagree with you on this one. One of the biggest isseus I have with the stock V-rod suspension is the massive amount of front end dive the bike has. The progressive stock height front springs and SE oil significantly decreased this, making the bike safer under hard braking. If I had to choose only the front or the rear progressives, I'd go with the front. I do have an '04 with more rake in the front though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,613 Posts
sburke91 said:
I have to disagree with you on this one. One of the biggest isseus I have with the stock V-rod suspension is the massive amount of front end dive the bike has. The progressive stock height front springs and SE oil significantly decreased this, making the bike safer under hard braking. If I had to choose only the front or the rear progressives, I'd go with the front. I do have an '04 with more rake in the front though.
:them: just ordered some for the front end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
I too had the 440 stock length rears for three months and noticed little difference, the addition of the stock length front springs and heavy oil made a HUGE difference, made all the funds spent worth every penny !!!!
 

·
Lets Ride...
Joined
·
475 Posts
I cross a 3"-4" concrete bump to leave my street and access my driveway. The stock front springs bottomed out every time and it was making me crazy. Put in the Progressive springs and now I have no issues. I'm happy with them along with the Ohlin 13" on the rear. As much as I've read on this topic on the forum there is not a lot of difference in the Progressive vs. Ohlin rear shock performance. Unfortunately, Ohlin is way too expensive.
 

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Toys 'R Me said:
I cross a 3"-4" concrete bump to leave my street and access my driveway. The stock front springs bottomed out every time and it was making me crazy. Put in the Progressive springs and now I have no issues. I'm happy with them along with the Ohlin 13" on the rear. As much as I've read on this topic on the forum there is not a lot of difference in the Progressive vs. Ohlin rear shock performance. Unfortunately, Ohlin is way too expensive.
Did you use the SE fork oil with the Progressive Front springs? I'm assuming you kept the stock front length, correct?
 

·
Scott
Joined
·
492 Posts
Does anyone know what the stock fork oil is? If it is not SE oil, would it be necessary to replace the stock springs or just replace the stock oil with SE fork oil? Has anyone tried just this configuration?

.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top