Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my set of 12" Progressive 440 shocks for my 02 A and now I am just waiting on the chrome shock mouting hardware from Zanotti's. I didn't want to put such a nice set of shocks on with the old hardware. :eek:fftopic:

The question:
I noticed that the shocks came with a set of sleeves or bushings and spacers. Are these necessary when installing on a 02 A model? I thought the chrome mounting hardware had the proper spacer for the top mount and I currently do not have a spacer on the bottom of the stock shocks. :confused:

I can see where the sleeves maybe necessary.

I know there are tons of people riding around on these shocks so hopefully the answer awaits. I did try the search but couldn't find anything on this.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Use the spacers that come with the Progressives, AND the stock spacers. otherwise, you'll rub your new shocks on the beltguard on the left, and POSSIBLY the brake on the right.

RJ

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
RJ is right the shocks are bigger around then stock and you need at least one spacer on the bottom to keep them off the pulley if your running a stock setup.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so use the stock spacers on the top and the progressive spacers on the bottom. Got it.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
mnerren said:
Okay, so use the stock spacers on the top and the progressive spacers on the bottom. Got it.

Thanks!

Mike
NO.....

Use the progressive spacers on the bottoms. Use BOTH the STOCK AND the PROGRESSIVE SPACERS ON THE TOP.

Otherwise the shocks will not be vertical. They will slant inward. Not real good for the seals.

RJ

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that is exactly why I replied. I wasn't sure, but now I am.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am in the process of mounting the same shocks on my bike right now and the left shock will hit the belt guard without the progressive spacer on the bottom. I installed the progressive spacers on the bottom and included the progressive spacers along with the Harley spacers on top and both shocks were slanting inward at the top. I didn't like the way the shocks lined up vertically so, I am getting some wider spacers machined for the top.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Rontay said:
I am in the process of mounting the same shocks on my bike right now and the left shock will hit the belt guard without the progressive spacer on the bottom. I installed the progressive spacers on the bottom and included the progressive spacers along with the Harley spacers on top and both shocks were slanting inward at the top. I didn't like the way the shocks lined up vertically so, I am getting some wider spacers machined for the top.
That's a good point. Even with both spacers, some folks have reported that the shocks don't line up vertically. making your own spacers is a good alternative.

RJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts