Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback on the Progressive 440 HD shocks. On the website it says for people who ride near max load 50% or greater. I don't ride 2 up a lot and I weigh about 205. Don't have bags either.

But I can get a good deal on a set of new 440 HDs.

Just wondering if they will still ride as well. I assume I will need to adjust them to the lower end but should still have a better ride than stock.

Thanks.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
besides the Upgrade to Avons the 440 HD's are the Best Mod for performance I have done to my bike.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
I've used HD 440s on two bikes. I weigh 230. The HD spring will be good for you set on the low side

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lux & Gunny. I am going to pull the trigger. Hope you have a great Labor Day weekend of riding!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
it'll be a little stiff, but i'm virtually the same weight and love them - softest setting.

when I ride two up i turn them about halfway up on the preload and it is smooth smooth smooth.

also increased ground clearance while cornering because the shocks weren't bottomed out already due to the springs being sub-par.

·
~*~VDRNLN JUNKIE~*~
667 Posts
I just got the standard 440's I have them near the softest setting when solo and it's perfect other than making me aware of how bad the front end is now :( I'm around 240 on a good day don't ask about my bad days LOL!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great feedback guys. I pulled the trigger on them. Can't wait to get them on the bike and ride. I am wondering if I'll have the same feeling as Gilbos and want the front springs next. That may need to wait for my winter projects along with all the powder coating I want to do.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Great feedback guys. I pulled the trigger on them. Can't wait to get them on the bike and ride. I am wondering if I'll have the same feeling as Gilbos and want the front springs next. That may need to wait for my winter projects along with all the powder coating I want to do.
fronts are a NICE upgrade as well :thumb:

it doesn't bring the front end into a truly 21st century league, but better than stock for under $100....

now I am considering the Ricor Intimidators to help the front forks work a bit better, even those are under $300 so not too expensive.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The Progressive shock I ran on my high mileage BMW self destructed. The first problem was internal, the damping adjuster came loose and the shock basically locked rigid. This happened on a less than year old shock. Progressive fixed that. The second problem was far too much compression damping. The shop that sold me the shock had six other customers with exactly the same complaint, the bike rode like a cement truck. Mine was sent back to have the compression damping cut in half, and that helped but it was still too hard for my taste. Then the eye's on the end of the shock wore out and allowed a couple of millimeters of play (maybe because the shock was too darn hard!). The play hogged out the opening in the aluminum shock body, so when I installed new eyes ( easy enough to do ) there was still play.
I tossed that shock and bought one from Works Performance. Pierre Vailencourt takes a lot of pride in building a compliant shock that still offers superior damping control. I put his shocks on my BMW and on my Street Rod. He finds the V-Rod to be a particularly tough bike to spring and damp at the rear because the suspenison geometry is falling rate. As the wheel and swingarm move up with compression, the working angle of the shock increases quite a bit, creating a falling rate geometry. He has had to work very hard to find the right combination of rising rate spring and progressive damping in the shocks to give the effect of a straight wind spring through the rear suspensions travel. I really like the Works Performance Shocks on both of my bikes. They are made to order based on rider weight and how YOU use your bike. The factory is in the LA area. Highly recommended.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Hope you know of these people, ordered the brand new version of the (NRS) 440's yesterday for $417.00 and $15 shipping. Nobody could touch this sale price. Have run their shocks many times, also ordered front springs for $71.00.

http://www.onestopmoto.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts