Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be the unlucky one as i am not at all happy with my 13" 412's.
Was out yesterday riding in southeast OH toawrds Athens and hit and uneven patch in the freeway and the rear suspension bottomed out so hard that it took off the paint down to the metal on my belt guard.

Hell, the bike feels like it sags an inch when i sit on it

I am bout 220 and have them set on the stiffest setting, now i got a F'ed up belt guard and cringe every bump coming, on smooth roads i like them but i believe i am headed out to the garage to put the stock on back on, any one want to pick them up cheap ?

They feel more spongy than stock, what's next works or 440's ?

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Somethings not right, many many members run 412 and love the improvement, they could be defective?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Adjust the Pre-Load. Turn up the stiffness.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Any one over 180 should get the Heavy Duty version of the 412's. They are generally a good shock. The 440's have very trick valving and work great.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I have 412s, and they're way to stiff in the upper settings for me. We have similar weights, and I don't bottom even 2 up, and I have 12" shocks. Maybe I have the heavy duty springs or something and don't know it. When I was running stiffer settings, my bike would hop an skip over bumps and wasn't very compliant at all.

It could be you have a bad set, or need the stiffer springs. Maybe they'll swap out with you.

·
I see dead people
1,045 Posts
I have the 412s with standard springs as well. I have them set to the stiffest setting. I weigh about 233. Mine bottom out as well. I am going to replace the stock springs with the stiffer ones. I've been in contact with Progressive and the heavy springs run about $80

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
Tattoo said:
I must be the unlucky one as i am not at all happy with my 13" 412's.
Was out yesterday riding in southeast OH toawrds Athens and hit and uneven patch in the freeway and the rear suspension bottomed out so hard that it took off the paint down to the metal on my belt guard.

Hell, the bike feels like it sags an inch when i sit on it

I am bout 220 and have them set on the stiffest setting, now i got a F'ed up belt guard and cringe every bump coming, on smooth roads i like them but i believe i am headed out to the garage to put the stock on back on, any one want to pick them up cheap ?

They feel more spongy than stock, what's next works or 440's ?
The 412s are a mystery. They work great on some people's bikes and suck on other. A buddy of mine had the 412s on his DX and it kept bottoming out as well. He called Progressive and they told him that the 412s don't fit the DX quite right. They are working on them right now. He got his money refunded and is now running stockers.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
they(progressive) emailed me back telling me there is no part number for any 07 v-rods available from progressive....

so are you guys just ordering the older part number shocks for the 07s?....

sounds like it might be smart to order the HD springs,and then be able to set them softer...

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts