Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got a line on where some are available. Everywhere i have tried says they are on back order. I think the number is 412-4054B

·
INVICTUS
127 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
Tattoo said:
Anyone got a line on where some are available. Everywhere i have tried says they are on back order. I think the number is 412-4054B
Just wondering why you want to go Heavy Duty?...and also keeping the same stock ride height?.....

I believe the stock Height(12.5") shocks if turned up to stiffest would work out fine for heavier riders......

I know mine are on soft and Im about 185lbs or so...and hasnt bottomed at all...

Im going to go with the 412s in the 12" standard spring....this should lower the stock height of DX another 3/4 inch or so vertically at seat i would guess.

Dan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want some standard 412 in 13 inch i will sell them to ya cheap. I go 220 and the bike would lower 1 to 1.5 inches when sat on and bottomed out to easy on rough roads.
The number listed above is for 12.5 inch shocks

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
bottomed out to easy

Tattoo said:
If you want some standard 412 in 13 inch i will sell them to ya cheap. I go 220 and the bike would lower 1 to 1.5 inches when sat on and bottomed out to easy on rough roads.
The number listed above is for 12.5 inch shocks
Are these standard or heavy duty????????????? I am 240 and stock 12.65" shocks hit the tail light with the tire. I was going to go 13" to help stop it from hitting, but you say you lose 1.5" of travel when you set down???? maybe 13.5" would be the sweet spot????? the stock shocks only have 2" of total travel. so 10.65" is where it hits. what do the shocks you have travel???? 13.5" - 10.65" = 2.85" travel (thats plus .85"), 13.5" - 1.5 = 12" - 10.5 = 1.35' total fat ass travel. dam I got to loose weight to ride this thing I guess? :confused:

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
the stock shocks arent worth a crap IMHO... i have 11.5" 412s and my bike is sitting in the weeds. I do bottom out under extreme bumps but not under normal riding conditions.. i weigh 200-205

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
I'm getting a little tired of bottoming out on some small dips in the road... I go 230/235. I have the stock shocks set to stiff. Are you saying go with the 412's? What's the deal with the 440's?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
DJ91 said:
I'm getting a little tired of bottoming out on some small dips in the road... I go 230/235. I have the stock shocks set to stiff. Are you saying go with the 412's? What's the deal with the 440's?
the 440's are definitely a better shock.. i went with the 412's for price reasons... they are the most bang for your buck. Also, if you are 230ish you shoud look into the heavy duty springs, it will be a little rougher ride, but you will cure that bottoming out problem even if you go a little lower.

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
412s are about half the cost of 440s...Travis is like myself,we like to get best bang for buck....440s are NO DOUBT a hi end amazing shock overal...but they will set you back $400+ dollars...while 412s are around $200....

I Beleive anyone over 220 should consider HD springs with the 412s or 440s...I hear they are stiffer riding though..but you shouldnt bottom.

Dan

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i would have went with the 440's mainly because of the quality, however nest spring I will be running air ride so I wanted a temporary fix until then. The 412's were cheap and I can make someone a good deal on them come spring time

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
VenomousSVT said:
i would have went with the 440's mainly because of the quality, however nest spring I will be running air ride so I wanted a temporary fix until then. The 412's were cheap and I can make someone a good deal on them come spring time

Nice....air ride is gonna be awesome....cant wait to see them....Im sure someone will snap up your 11.5"s for sure..

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
NOS-DAN said:
Nice....air ride is gonna be awesome....cant wait to see them....Im sure someone will snap up your 11.5"s for sure..
there wasnt a lot of interest in 11.5's when i was researching them... after posting the pics of my bike, i have had tons of PM's about part numbers and installation

·
Registered
666 Posts
maybe a dumb question, but why are V-rod shocks different than the other bikes with shocks? is it just the mounting hole size? I would like to get a set of 418's, but they're not made for V-rods specifically...

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
ebrown0104 said:
maybe a dumb question, but why are V-rod shocks different than the other bikes with shocks? is it just the mounting hole size? I would like to get a set of 418's, but they're not made for V-rods specifically...
i ordered a set of 11.5's from MAW and i have no clue what they are for, they still bolted up just fine though..

i think the vrod shocks are preloaded up for the extra weight of the bike, vs the sportster shocks not needing to hold up such a heavy bike.

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
So what length do you go with to NOT lower the bike? I love to corner and don't want to lose any of my ground clearence. I just measured my stock set-up and they are 12.5". I'm also a big boy so I will be going with the 440s HD but just unsure of the length. I'm riding on setting 4 on the stock and still bottom out on hard sharp bumps but it's much better the the setting 2 it came on.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
well if you dotn want to lower it just go with the 12.5" 440's.. that will keep the bike the stock height and give you a better ride all at the same time!

·
Dark Side
560 Posts
Cool thanks for the info.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
yep
anytime!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts