Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
How hard would these be to install? I assume the legs come out of the tree's and what not. Any idea how long a job like that would take ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Took me about an hour and I've never taken my fork apart before. It was very easy to do. Hardest part was sliding the boots up the fork.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just make sure when you jack the bike up and slide the forks out, to put something under the back tire so it doesnt tip backwards. Not saying how I know this.:cupcake

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry to hijack this, can anyone tell me the internal diameter and length of these fork gaiters so I can find something similar over here in the UK, thanks Daz.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
internal diameter should be 49mm, same as the forks (or larger). length doesn't really matter, you'll have to cut them anyway. as long as they're at least about 10-12 inches long (about 30 cm), you're fine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought and fitted a pair of Procomp boots and am a bit pissed off with them. The top section (the widest), fits nicely, but they taper in to the legs diameter at about halfway and grip the fork leg causing them to push up and stay there when the fork compresses. Would be really nice if there was a set that was 52 to 53mm internal diameter all the way through.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
these daystar's i ordered look pretty good. just came - they seem big, but i dont have my bike here to check it out/compare. i think they're the ones in the photo above but can't be sure.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Will they work with a superbrace?

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they dont interfere at all with the brace. i have one too now

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
??

I bought and fitted a pair of Procomp boots and am a bit pissed off with them. The top section (the widest), fits nicely, but they taper in to the legs diameter at about halfway and grip the fork leg causing them to push up and stay there when the fork compresses. Would be really nice if there was a set that was 52 to 53mm internal diameter all the way through.
Wait... isn't that upside down?

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think i got the wrong ones, upon closer inspection. will try some others from daystar.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ha. ok. when i am done with this i probably have 4 sets of ill-fitting boots for sale too

·
boo
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the other two styles should be en route. i'm pretty sure the ones pictured above are the right one - but that those are not Daystar 408, rather i think they are 381 series. we will see soon enough.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great fedback

Thanks for the feedback, it is truly appreciated. I've been wanting to do this mod for a while, just didn't have anywhere to start, JC.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok I just got the procomps and installed them and your right they need to be trimmed. Did you just use a razor blade? does the elasticity keep the boots covering the whole fork or will I have to get a zip tie for the top of the boots to keep it on?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts