Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my key switch on my 03 is becoming hard to turn back when i want to turn off the engine and its even harder to turn back to get the seat up for fuel up. I have to wiggle the key around to make t turn. I have tried both keys and no differences between the two.

Any ideas why and what i can do??

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
Or better yet, do the ignition relocation. Takes about 3 hours and $175 if you want to do it right. One of the threads on here (Search: Ignition Re-location) explains in great detail step by step how to do it. It's totally worth it, and no more are you driving with your key hanging out of the ignition waiting to get lost. I just completed this last weekend, and gotta say one of the best mods I've done so far (Rick's tank will be next).

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
The MOCO switch housing are junk... I replaced a customer's switch that was doing the same thing that yours is with a brand new switch and it's just as bad new... I convinced him to go keyless ignition, best way to go with these worthless switches that the MOCO has...

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Just needs some lube! Give it a shot of powdered graphite and then wiggle the key some.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
The MOCO switch housing are junk... I replaced a customer's switch that was doing the same thing that yours is with a brand new switch and it's just as bad new... I convinced him to go keyless ignition, best way to go with these worthless switches that the MOCO has...
:them: Mine has already been replaced twice under extended warranty. If it happens again, I may have to go keyless.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Mine was doing same thing. Some graphite and better than new. NP here so far.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
:them: Mine has already been replaced twice under extended warranty. If it happens again, I may have to go keyless.
I'm telling yah them frigg'en switches are junk :)... I even went so far as to take the customers "new" switch apart and filed off some of the tab with a leading edge to try and make the switch work better, it still hung up and was beginning to wear down the key in just two weeks...

So, I suggested a keyless ignition and he went with it and has been happy ever since... He still has to use the key to unlock the seat but if the switch ever goes out he can still get to the cable and open the seat or pry it open if needed... Or, he can just modify the cable and put a T-handle on it and just manually open the seat and get rid of the switch all together...

I don't know where the MOCO gets this ignition switch, in all likely hood either from China or India but they are worthless and they charge an ungodly amount for a frigg'en ignition switch... The MOCO has lost touch with reality... I'd love to put this switch up Willie's a$$ as a daily reminder of just how far he's dragged the company down... Just my opinion of course but I just plain don't like him or what the MOCO has turned into catering to millionaires for dealers that monopolize the market by having multiple dealerships... The MOCO is going down and once again the tax payers will have to bail Willie out... 2 million just to apply for a dealership, what a joke... Sorry, got off on a rant...

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
So, I suggested a keyless ignition and he went with it and has been happy ever since... He still has to use the key to unlock the seat but if the switch ever goes out he can still get to the cable and open the seat or pry it open if needed... Or, he can just modify the cable and put a T-handle on it and just manually open the seat and get rid of the switch all together...
In that "Ignition Relocation" thread, there's a part called the seat latch which replaces the lock. You buy a plastic chrome button that goes in place of the lock. I can't remember the cost, but that's an option also, instead of using the key to unlock the seat. Of course, that means you have to support the Stealership again...
:hidesbeh:

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
In that "Ignition Relocation" thread, there's a part called the seat latch which replaces the lock. You buy a plastic chrome button that goes in place of the lock. I can't remember the cost, but that's an option also, instead of using the key to unlock the seat. Of course, that means you have to support the Stealership again...
:hidesbeh:
Kewl, I'll let the customer know... Hey, as much as I hate Willie, sometimes you have to buy MOCO, it's just how it is... Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll do that as part of my mods on my 06 Nightrod...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Same problems and then the same results using silicone spray.
Don't know what it was with his two ignition switches, I tried the graphite and it didn't help, the switch housing still ate up the tab on the key... The switch on my 05 never gave me any problems but his was a frigg'en nightmare both the old one and the brand new one... Go figure :)...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Graphite worked on mine also when it hung up. Scared the shyt out of me thought my key was going to bust off inside the lock!

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I did away w/the damn seat lock. Just a pain in the ol arse! Just a suggetion.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Every ign switch on every Harley I have ever owned has failed to some extent.The 07 V-Rod constantly needs moisture displacing lube,as does the Heritage,or the dash won't light up.The early V-Rods switches are junk,period! So far the replacement on the 03 has worked OK.I personally think the original location is in a cool spot,I do not care for the forward mounted switch on the late V-Rods.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I did away w/the damn seat lock. Just a pain in the ol arse! Just a suggetion.
Your seat just flaps in the wind? (unlocked) your gas tank is underneath.

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
Every ign switch on every Harley I have ever owned has failed to some extent.The 07 V-Rod constantly needs moisture displacing lube,as does the Heritage,or the dash won't light up.The early V-Rods switches are junk,period! So far the replacement on the 03 has worked OK.I personally think the original location is in a cool spot,I do not care for the forward mounted switch on the late V-Rods.
While I do agree with you there, I just couldn't stand having my keys/FOB dangling in the free air going 100+ mph on the country roads (did I just say that?). Not to mention when stopping for gas, and my keys fall out and onto my hot pipes. That was the sole reason why I went with the forward mount, with the newer ignition. No longer leave the keys in the ignition while riding.

·
Voluptuous 'V'
515 Posts
I just had the same problem with my 03 this past Sunday!!! Tried a bunch of cleaner and lube to no avail. I had to pry open and dissemble my lock assembly because the ignition key wouldn't turn all the way to unlock seat.

Will the part number 71403-01 have the keys and latch in the kit? Anyone?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts