Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2013 NRS with idling-issues. I just can't seem to adjust it, and as it is now it stops after about 2 seconds after crank because idle-rpm is way too low. I have to pull the throttle to keep the bike running.

I've checked the ECM-map and numbers look fine in the idle-settings, so I have no idea why the bike isn't following those numbers.
I've tried "resetting" the IAC as mentioned in a couple of threads (ignition on/off 3 times, ignition on and wait 1 minute before crank) and no change.

The bike has Green high flow a/c, Akrapovic 2-1 full exhaust and mapped methodically with Power Vision. The bike runs flawlessly otherwise.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2013 NRS with idling-issues. I just can't seem to adjust it, and as it is now it stops after about 2 seconds after crank because idle-rpm is way too low. I have to pull the throttle to keep the bike running.

I've checked the ECM-map and numbers look fine in the idle-settings, so I have no idea why the bike isn't following those numbers.
I've tried "resetting" the IAC as mentioned in a couple of threads (ignition on/off 3 times, ignition on and wait 1 minute before crank) and no change.

The bike has Green high flow a/c, Akrapovic 2-1 full exhaust and mapped methodically with Power Vision. The bike runs flawlessly otherwise.
Sounds like the IAC port is blocked or the IAC motor itself could be pooched, or power to it. Def IAC related. Obviously you have a PV, so log the IAC steps for starting. and compare from a known log in the same pre startup condition. This represents a cold start setting for the IAC to fire the engine up to about 1450 initially. If they match +/- a few steps to account for temps for startup before hitting the start button, port could be blocked. If the current IAC log doesn't come close to the know good cold start steps, most likely the IAC is pooched or power supply to it. Codes are not always thrown for IAC. That resetting the IAC don't do shit with PV or TTS or cabled throttles. Adjustment should not be done with either front or rear tb screws, only within the calibration.
Ron

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts

How are you adjusting idle?
Is the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor plugged in?
Do you have any trouble codes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the feedback. Guess I'll take it to the shop and have them check the IAC.

How are you adjusting idle?
Is the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor plugged in?
Do you have any trouble codes?
I checked the Idle-table for my map in WinPV. Everything looks fine there. I have no clue how I can check the IAT, this is my first HD and I've only had it for a couple of weeks.
I had the P0505 a couple of times because it stalls. I've cleared those.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Thank you guys for the feedback. Guess I'll take it to the shop and have them check the IAC.

I checked the Idle-table for my map in WinPV. Everything looks fine there. I have no clue how I can check the IAT, this is my first HD and I've only had it for a couple of weeks.
I had the P0505 a couple of times because it stalls. I've cleared those.
PO505 is telling you of a loss of idle control and it's usually the IAC.
Several reasons for idle control loss but since you say it runs good other then no low end idle control it's most likely the IAC motor itself. Check the port for obstructions first but doubt there's an issue there. The IAT is the sensor to read intake air temp. If it's not plugged in , it will throw a different code. Bike will still idle reasonably well on the most part, so this sensor isn't really the issue from the sounds of your condition.
Conditions that could throw a code PO505 , loss of idle control even if the IAC motor is good are......
Intake leaks.
• Contaminated fuel.
• TPS reading of greater than 1% (possible throttle cable
misadjustment) or battery voltage reading of less than 9V
or a VSS greater than 0 will disable idle speed control.
• If there is a loss of battery power at ECM terminal 31,
vehicle will start but IAC pintle will not reset at key OFF.
Eventually pintle will be out of position causing performance
problems.
9/10 it's the IAC motor itself.

Ron

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to my local HD-shop and they ran a diag on it. The mechanic which I know is rather good told me he's pretty sure the IAC is botched, however he told me to flash the ECM with the original tune first to see if that helped since he have previous experience with custom maps messing up the IAC.
I did, and it didn't help squat.

The bike is going in to replace/check the IAC next friday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts