Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
MOCO Bastard Child
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my bike is in the shop (not a dealer, but a highly regarded local place) and I'm having a large amount of work done. one of the the things was to have a 26 tooth pulley from FM installed. the first one that came in was the wrong size (tooth number) the second and possibly third just didn't fit. and yes, the shop knew that some grinding was needed to get it on. so the word I got back was that they ordered one from HD. does MOCO even carry a 26 tooth pulley for the street rod? if so any guesses on how much it costs? i'm really surprised that FM seems to be having quality control problems on these pulleys. and before i get flamed, this shop has a very good rep in the area for being fair, honest and going excellent work. has anyone else had issues with FM 26 tooth pulleys? it seems that everyone has nothing but good things to say about them.
frustrated
rat

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What exactly was the fitment problem? Harley never made a 26th pulley. What year is your bike? if it not an 02 or 03 then you shouldn't have to grind the output flange for it to fit.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
I don't see how a FM 26T pulley could have the wrong # of teeth, and how it could not fit.... they are held to pretty close tollerances when made and have been trouble free for so many of us who have installed them... we need more info

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
I don't see how a FM 26T pulley could have the wrong # of teeth, and how it could not fit.... they are held to pretty close tollerances when made and have been trouble free for so many of us who have installed them... we need more info
:them: And yes I beleive you have to grind the flange for this pulley... :deal:

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
The wrong number of teeth? How many did it have?

Have you seen these issues they seem to be having first hand? Something sounds pretty bunk about what they're telling you here. The Moco has never made a 26T pulley. And as far as I'm aware Fitzgerald doesn't make pulleys in any tooth count except 26, the wrong number of teeth is impossible.

·
MOCO Bastard Child
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i'm trying to get more info from the shop, cause it sounds kinda hinky to me too. I was just talking to the girl at the counter she was reading from the notes on the invoice. i'v been trying to get a number for FM so i can get the other side of the story but cant seem to find one. and getting in touch with the mechanic is next to impossible. my ride is an 06 street rod so i know it needs some fitting and the mechanic knew that as well. there shouldn't have been any problems. maybe he ordered ( or received by mistake) the one for the 240 size tire? that is about all i can think of. well till I hear from one or the other it'll be a mystery.
rat

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Go there and make them show you. They are probably trying to put you over a barrel.

·
Registered
276 Posts
so my bike is in the shop (not a dealer, but a highly regarded local place) and I'm having a large amount of work done. one of the the things was to have a 26 tooth pulley from FM installed. the first one that came in was the wrong size (tooth number) the second and possibly third just didn't fit. and yes, the shop knew that some grinding was needed to get it on. so the word I got back was that they ordered one from HD. does MOCO even carry a 26 tooth pulley for the street rod? if so any guesses on how much it costs? i'm really surprised that FM seems to be having quality control problems on these pulleys. and before i get flamed, this shop has a very good rep in the area for being fair, honest and going excellent work. has anyone else had issues with FM 26 tooth pulleys? it seems that everyone has nothing but good things to say about them.
frustrated
rat
Rat, It seems to me your shop does'nt have a clue. Before I would post anything I would have waited for more accurrate information. You claim FM has sent you 3 differant pulleys, and there all WRONG, not likely, further thats some pretty damn good customer service, ya think? SOOOO if if you consider this being flamed, oh well. Tim Doherty

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Rat, It seems to me your shop does'nt have a clue. Before I would post anything I would have waited for more accurrate information. You claim FM has sent you 3 differant pulleys, and there all WRONG, not likely, further thats some pretty damn good customer service, ya think? SOOOO if if you consider this being flamed, oh well. Tim Doherty
:them: Sounds like your dealer is :stac:

·
brett
9,338 Posts
yep , no problem with fitzgeralds pulleys,but i do hear lots of problems with shops that dont know what the hell they are doing ,

·
MOCO Bastard Child
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well what i'm trying to say is that we have two companies with very good reputations and an issue regarding a part. i'm simply trying to find out if anyone else has had quality control problems with FM (you never know, sometimes a bad batch does come in), if not, then i put the hot irons to my repair shop (NOT a dealer BTW) and find out what is their major malfunction.

@sideways67 the parts were not sent to me, they were sent to the shop doing the repair work. the only thing I can come up with is that the shop ordered (or were sent) the offset pulleys for the larger tire bike, and i have a stock tire bike. that would explain fitment problems.

I was supposed to hear back from them yesterday but since I work night shift i sleep during the day and missed the call. I'll keep digging till i find out WTF is going on. this is the last part. after this I get my bike back.
rat

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
I highly doubt Scott sent you the wrong offset for your bike... THAT said an offset would still have the right # of teeth AND it would still fit the bike, just wouldn't line up with the rear when the belt was being put back on... Your shop must not wanna grind your cases... at first slip fit a 26T will seem to be the wrong part but after a little dremeling you can get them on... If I could do it a caveman could also...

·
It is what it is
2,632 Posts
My tech installed the 26t on my 03 in his home garage with minimal issues only had to grind area near the three bolts and round the corners, we call Scott directly and he walked us thru the process. Most techs/shops do not want to grind away parts on customers bike. FYI pulley kicks butt on my bike enough said. But I understand your pain wanting your bike back

·
Back in Black
2,584 Posts
being a highly regarded place and knowing v rods is two different things.
We are not knocking your repair shop just that v rods are different.
I agree I doubt you got anything wrong from FM especially 3 times.

·
MOCO Bastard Child
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i'm beginning to have my doubts about this shop and their ability to handle v-rods. the lack of communication, and the time it is taking to do the work is pissing me off. the fact that that they convinced me early on that keeping my power commander rather than installing the thundermaxx that i gave them is just more evidence of that. i mean I'm paying for this after all but they said that the PC was better and they are supposed to be the experts right? the only reason i've let them keep the bike this long is that its winter and i can't ride anyway, and i'm still waiting for the carbon fiber rear tail section to be fabbed up and delivered. so yeah i'm too trusting and have given this place way too much benefit of the doubt. but that stops now.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Like the gentlemen here said, you need to go to the shop and see for yourself what is the problem. You can start by discarding the ideas that FM sent you the wrong teeth pulley and that HD makes a 26T pulley for the V-Rod, only 28T or 30T pulleys if I'm not wrong and they will probably cost half a sac....

Make certain they know what specific area they need to grind, and make sure to take a look (PERSONALLY) at the flange/bolts area behind the pulley, be certain they didn't grinded too far and messed up the bolt's heads, which is a possibility if they grind more one (of the 4) bolt than the other when checking for clearance.

Probably they have no clue where they need to grind, so if I where you I would look for pics here in the forum and bring them to the shop anyways just in case. Even if they are the best, mechanics are like doctors, if you try to tell them what they need to do they get might get offended and/or even try to make a fool of you like you don't know shit and they are the ones who "know". If they haven't done it before, it's not completely their fault if they don't know for sure, but if you show them that at least YOU KNOW (even if the fact harms their pride), they respect you a little bit and are more cautious when they work on your bike.

Remember, It's your ride and it's your safety, and no one will work on her the way you would, that's why you need to start trying to work on her by yourself or at least to keep an eye on the shop when they are working on your bike.

I stopped trusting the shops when I left my bike to check and adjust the brakes (I've always thought that I should leave the brakes to professionals since my safety depended on them), and when I got home after a 20 mile ride from the shop, noticed all caliper bolts where LOOSE. Needless to say, I felt raped... :barf:

·
MOCO Bastard Child
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
believe me i would be there first thing monday morning, but I'm working 14 hour mid shifts right now and won't have a day off till wednesday. however you can count on me being there first thing wednesday morning. and i won't leave till i find out WTF is going on with my bike. BTW can someone give me a link to the pictures of what the grinds should look like?
thanks
rat

1 - 20 of 35 Posts