Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank you all this forum is great and the wealth of Knowledge on here is amazing, I have found the answers to all my questions with the search so far. But couldnt find any thing on my current problem which is, I just got my bike after it was shipped from Washington to Naples Italy and now it intermintely has the check engine light and battry light on when it is running. turned it off with the run/off switch and it shuts down but the bike still trys to turn over, so I then turned the ignition switch to off and it still tries to start. If I turn the igintion and run/off back on it startes its self. had to disconnect the battry to shut it off. But after disconnection the wires from the solinoid and and then reconnecting the it doesnt try to start its self. when I reconnected the cables I get 12.4 volts arcoss the solinoid is this normal. Anyone else ever had this happen and got any ideas for me. Just printed the codes and am going to read the code to see what it says.
One other question how hard are the grips to replace, while it was in the shipping crate and some point it fell over. Thankfully the only damage was to the left grip and mirror because the straps they used kept it from falling all the way over.
I'm going to have to fix it myself because I dont know enough itlian to take it to a dealer and have them fix it.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The 12.4 is rest voltage.Check the battery voltage while cranking.Check the voltage while the engine is running and monitor the running voltage,and amperage for a minute or so.

Off the bat,and without checking the system myself,it sounds like the battery is low and either the starter relay,or the solenoid is remaining in the switched position because of low voltage.If the battery fails the complete voltage and amperage test,replace it,and retest.
Don't waste your time trying to charge the battery.
If the voltage test shows the system to be OK,then check the relay.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I think that there is more damage to the handlebars than just the left grip. Somehow, the right side switch assembly was damaged and either the starter switch is stuck or the wires to the switch are shorted, causing the starter to run continuously. The only two other possibilities are that the starter solenoid or relay is stuck and needs replacement.

Process of elimination:

Find the starter relay. The starter relay is a small cube that plugs into the fuse block. Find it, unplug it, and reconnect your battery. Problem fixed= bad relay.

There are two large wires and two small wires going to the starter solenoid. One of the large wires goes directly to the starter. Trace it back to locate the solenoid. The two small wires attached to the solenoid have a plug on the opposite end. Unplug it. If you reconnect your battery and it continues to try to start on its own, replace the solenoid. However, if the problem (engine starts by itself) goes away, the handlebar switch or wire is at fault.

To replace the handlebar switch assembly, disassemble the right side switch housing if you are so inclined. It isn't a job for the average novice. Disassembly is much easier than assembly. If it is too complicated for your experience level, you'll have to learn Italian.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it to stop doing it by disconnecting the solinoid and taping on it then reconnecting the cables to it. So I think that it is a bad solinoid. The codes that came up were p0562 and b1007, one of those is the low voltage on the battery so that could have been the problem also. but it hasnt done it since friday night. Thanks for the respones

1 - 4 of 4 Posts