Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Shady
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 month old 07 aw and while making a quick trip to the bank this morning i started with about a quarter of a tank. On the way back i had maybe gone 2 miles. While coming back i watch the r setting start to drop from 30 miles to 13 in about 50 yards. I go to get gas and get 4 gallons in there before i hit the top of the tank. When i start it again it reads 3/4 a tank of gas. Is this a known problem. I thought it was fixed in the 07

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
There have been a great deal of problems reported on the new fuel meters this summer. They seemed to do good all winter so I have to think it is a temperature problem or vapor issue in the tanks. I am not aware of any real fix for them as yet.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Max said:
There have been a great deal of problems reported on the new fuel meters this summer. They seemed to do good all winter so I have to think it is a temperature problem or vapor issue in the tanks. I am not aware of any real fix for them as yet.
I do notice my 2007 gauge is unreliable also. Most of the time it is correct but I have seen it vary 1/4 tank when just turning the ignition on and off during my build.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My 07 DX will be going into the shop next week for this exact problem, only mine went to a half a tank when I know that I have less that a quarter tank in there(visual verification). I shall let everyone know if there is any fix as of yet and what the dealer does for me.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vrscd_special said:
My 07 DX will be going into the shop next week for this exact problem, only mine went to a half a tank when I know that I have less that a quarter tank in there(visual verification). I shall let everyone know if there is any fix as of yet and what the dealer does for me.
It won't hurt to find out but I plan to ask a couple of guys I know in tech support Monday to see if they can give me any insight on the problem and if they know of a long term fix for the issue. I think so far most that I have read are just throwing parts at them but no one is really fixing them.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
As someone else has posted, it may just be fuel not getting into the tube.

Or it could be cr*p on the unit - in which case petrol brand could be an issue. My five week old, 2000 (IIRC) mile one seems to be OK thus far, in blistering Algrave Sumemr temps, so maybe it IS the fuel. We'll see.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It is 70-75 degrees at my house year round and my fuel guage definately has issues. Also, the bike is brand new. Reads fine 90% of the time then 1/4 tank off.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Max said:
It won't hurt to find out but I plan to ask a couple of guys I know in tech support Monday to see if they can give me any insight on the problem and if they know of a long term fix for the issue. I think so far most that I have read are just throwing parts at them but no one is really fixing them.
Cool.It would be nice to hear an honest answer.Somewhere along the lines of..........
We're workin on it,we have a fix but no new vender yet or we just don't have a high enough percentage of complaints to address the issue.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Trailers R 4 Boats
1,271 Posts
My fuel gauge makes me nuts! Sometimes it will get to a quarter tank and start going up. Other times I'll be riding along and look down to see the fuel warning light on only to check the mileage and find the i've only been 75 miles since filling up. I haven't bothered taking it up with Harley yet because nobody seems to have found a cause/solution yet. I have a year left on my warranty, guess I'll have to Shit or get off the pot pretty soon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The fuel indication on my ’07 VRSCAW malfunctioned for the first time yesterday with about 4300 miles. The indication dropped from a half tank, to zero. It required 2.5 gallons to top it off.

Today I took a shot in the dark and unplugged then reconnected the sensor connection under the seat to make sure it was secure, no help. With a full tank, the indication stuck at full for 40 miles or so, with “miles remaining” not moving. Then it came “unstuck” and dropped to an apparently accurate reading for 15 minutes or so before dying and dropping to zero.

After shutting the bike down fully and restarting, the gauge worked for a few minutes, then dropped back to zero.

It was hot on both days with OAT ranging from 80 degrees to low 90s.

I only have a couple months remaining on the factory warrantee so I plan to take it in so that fixed or not, the problem will at least be documented to have occurred before the warrantee expired.

Put my hat in the ring of those who think it is reasonable to expect a $20K bike to have all of the stock components working, and working right.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Got V said:
I only have a couple months remaining on the factory warrantee so I plan to take it in so that fixed or not, the problem will at least be documented to have occurred before the warrantee expired.

How could this be? You should have 2 years unlimited milage for warranty.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
114 Posts
Max said:
... I plan to ask a couple of guys I know in tech support Monday to see if they can give me any insight on the problem and if they know of a long term fix for the issue.
Thanks Max. It seems that there are a lot of people anxious to hear what you find out, including me.

I'd bet there are a lot more who have experienced the problem than have indicated it. I suspect this forum could provide H-D with quite a list of owners with malfunctioning fuel indications if necessary.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
How could this be? You should have 2 years unlimited milage for warranty.
Oops, you're right! I had one year in my head for some reason. Thanks.

Guess it wouldn't hurt to get it officially documented anyway if for no other reason than more input to H-D.

·
Kicking cancer's ass
969 Posts
My DX is still dead nuts accurate.

My wife's D still shoots to "full" 30 minutes into every ride, every single time. It shows accurate on startup, shoots to full, and stays there until after an extensive "cool down" period.

Bikes run exactly the same fuel.

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
Both of my '07 model V-Rods have issues with the fuel gage. They have been back to H-D with no satisfactory results. I e-mailed the tech the thread on fuel gage issues to give him some idea as to whats going on, but he is still unable to find out what the problem is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When my 1999 Corvette (yep) had the same issue with the gas gauge I read on the Corvette forums that people were correcting the situation by switching gas. I simply switched from stopping and getting gas at 76 stations and instead went to Chevron.

A couple of months ago (about 4K on the odometer) my 2007 VROD started acting the same way with incorrect reading on the gauge. Well I decided to try the same thing I did on my Vette and switched over to Cheveron and sure as shit teh problem went away. (I went in when I new I was almost out of fuel) While this may not sound very scientific and I have no idea why it works it did in both cases.

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
My '05 is currently having a fuel gauge issue. When the low fuel indicator lamp comes on it will take about 30 secs then read empty. I had it at the dealer and the issue is the fuel rod that the float rides up and down on. Apparently the coating on the rod has flaked off near the bottom of the rod and it is not reading the float location. I am having it replaced. Hope this helps...

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
mines reliable downto half a tank, then it spazzes out. pisses me off but what can ya do. I'll make em replace it this winter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts