Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to thank everyone that had input as to the problems I've been having with my bike. As of yesterday, I have confirmed that my problem is completely corrected.

Background: Oxygen sensor failure in KC. Replaced sensor. Worked 2 days, Oxygen sensor failed again. Pulled auto-tune module from bike, sent to zippers, tested and came back ok. Was suggested by zippers that the ecm could have gotten some water intrusion through the barometric pressure hole. They sent me a new ECM free. Problem did not correct. Checked fuel pressure. Was normal. Did a data log on the bike in closed loop mode. Noticed an intermittent short, that coincided with a flicker on the gauge cluster's lights. Started looking for a culprit, noticed that the stator wires exiting the left side engine cover were resting against the kickstand mount.

Called Tie_one_on and he came over on his R, Noticed that his engine was sitting much higher than mine. (flashback conversation with Dano in KC) The bolts that hold the top of the radiator do double duty as the engine mount bolts. These were sheered off. The top motor mount was not being supported, allowing the engine to rest on the kickstand bracket. The bracket, being a harder metal, grooved the side cover to where it was causing the intermittent short with vibration. The oxygen sensor on the front cylinder was being fried. I have replaced it. and have gotten to ride the bike. There are no more issues regarding the P0131 code, nor the flickering of my instrument panel. Again, thank you all for your help.

-Bill

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
Glad you found the problem, I also had one of those bolts shear off and not sure why it happened. Do you or anyone else know what the root cause is?

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
The weird thing about the sheared off bolts is that both bolt ends were not to be found. When you thread a bolt into a nut, and the end gets sheared it usually leaves the end of the bolts in the nut. In this case both bolt ends were nowhere to be found in the nuts or lodged in the radiator anywhere. I was completely confused on this ! Actually it made it much easier to put new bolts in without the threaded ends there to have to drill and back out so in this case it became an easier job to do.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Yay! It always seems simple afterward! Glad it is back up and running for you, Bill. Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts