Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it these bikes are so hard to sell? I have an 09 and went to trade it in on another brand and they basicly said they don't want it. They called the local HD dealer to se if they would buy it from them should I trade it in. The HD dealer doesn't want it!
I have advertised it all over,set it out front and lowered the price drasticly and still no bites. Is it the model or the v-rods in general?:banghead:

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
I think it's the F model more than anything............the F model is not very well liked. You should either keep it or dump it for around 11-12K.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
ol skool airhead freaks tend to buy F over any other v-rod model.

·
Registered
569 Posts
F rules and Jap bikes simply don't matter around here.

I think it's the F model more than anything............the F model is not very well liked. You should either keep it or dump it for around 11-12K.
Where do you get your data from? yes it seems that used ones don't sell as well but new ones seem to be moving at least in some markets. I met a few people today that had to settle for colors they did not want becuase the dealers couldn't get the colors they wanted. Dumping it for 11-12 is insane unless you really need the money. If the F wasn't selling then consider why would HD reduce the V-RODS to 2 models? THE "F" and the "DX".

Also the Jap bike comment doesn't fly either. People are buying HD because they want HD's a JAP bike isn't going to matter if it is half the price at least not to me and the guys I run with. And I even own a JAP bike. Now I saw some pretty mean looking VICTORY motorcycles today at a bike show and they have a few bikes I wouldn't mind trying out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Many dealers find it tough to move them because they are not a mainstream Harley and they are also expensive. So if you take it to an HD dealer expect to get maybe $10K if they decide to take it. Since dealerships are in the business of making a profit they will need to turn around and slap $3K on it which then in-turn puts the bike up around $13K used. That creates <again> a sales problem for the dealer when trying to move a "niche" bike in a sluggish economy. There are buyers out there....but you need to price the bike right and give it a little time---trust me. I've sold 5 bikes over the last year. There is always a buyer out there somewhere.

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
trade-in?

Most dealers do not like to take trade-ins on a bike not the same brand as they are selling. Why? No-one goes to a Honda dealer to buy a HD...and vice-versa. Good luck and I feel for yeah. I tried to trade in a dirt bike when I bought my HD. Of course they did not want it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
in most parts of this country motorcycles are still considered luxury items and toys. People are still recovering from the economic meltdown and are leery of dropping dough on a toy or luxury item.
There are buyers out there, and you are indeed competing with all toys and not just motorcycles. Good luck

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
As far as I can tell the only things selling really well now are guns and ammo, not motorcycles.

Now that's funny, but also true. Just bought a SW M&P 9mm Sunday.
Revolution is coming, and I don't mean the motor.......

Good luck selling anything right now, money is getting tighter all the time. Even HD has resorted to discounts and rebates on new bikes to try and move them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If only I was the Glock sales rep.

·
Flat Broke
277 Posts
I looked at used F models and decided to just buy new. Price was too close for used.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Why is it these bikes are so hard to sell? I have an 09 and went to trade it in on another brand and they basicly said they don't want it. They called the local HD dealer to se if they would buy it from them should I trade it in. The HD dealer doesn't want it!
I have advertised it all over,set it out front and lowered the price drasticly and still no bites. Is it the model or the v-rods in general?:banghead:

I would put it on Ebay, there tends to be a much larger audience looking there. I was trying to sell my Yamaha FJR (another niche bike) I put it on my local craigslist and didn't get a single call. I listed it on Ebay and had it sold in a week, there were 53 people watching the auction at the end which is the most wathcers I've ever had on anything I've sold.

·
Registered
329 Posts
FJR, the 2" baffles on your TABS, that is the smaller size right? The stock ones for the pipe are 2 1/2 or bigger, just wanted to confirm.

·
Registered
43 Posts
FJR, the 2" baffles on your TABS, that is the smaller size right? The stock ones for the pipe are 2 1/2 or bigger, just wanted to confirm.
Correct, the stock size is 2 1/2", I ordered the smaller 2" baffles to tone it down a little.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I noticed on the HD website that the 2011 model MSRP is $14,999 while the 2010 model MSRP is $17,199. I was looking for a used one and I have seen a couple 2009 advertised for $16,900 and wondered who would buy a used 2009 for more than a brand new 2011?

Is this just an error on the website or what? When I go to a local dealers website they still have the 2011 advertised for the same price as the 2010 at $17,199.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
How Do You Like Me Now?

I noticed on the HD website that the 2011 model MSRP is $14,999 while the 2010 model MSRP is $17,199. I was looking for a used one and I have seen a couple 2009 advertised for $16,900 and wondered who would buy a used 2009 for more than a brand new 2011?

Is this just an error on the website or what? When I go to a local dealers website they still have the 2011 advertised for the same price as the 2010 at $17,199.
:vrodforu:

You read it correctly. That is a major reason why it is so tough to sell a used one for 5 digits. This is one of the few times that I can remember Harley-Davidson going down on their prices.

This is the fundamental change of America... Stay tuned for more.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
:vrodforu:

You read it correctly. That is a major reason why it is so tough to sell a used one for 5 digits. This is one of the few times that I can remember Harley-Davidson going down on their prices.

This is the fundamental change of America... Stay tuned for more.
Are the dealers going down on their prices as well or is this just the MSRP?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts