Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

About 6-8 months ago, I had a problem with my 2006 D (basically stock at the time) in which it would basically stop running in the middle of a cruise speed ride. Almost like it ran out of gas because there was not electrical flicker or code thrown up. Once you get the bike stopped, turn off the ignition system at the key for 15 seconds, turn it back on and hit the switch, the engine comes back to life.

Well, it happened to me again today, twice. Now I have Rineharts with a PCIII, topless but no engine mods. It was like it just ran out of gas. I pulled off the road and again, turned the ignition off for 15 sec and then fired it up. But it happened within 10 miles of each issue.

Anyone else having this problem? I already checked my grounds and everyone is tit tight.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I'd focus on the PCIII first

It'll be hard to diagnose since your setup likely requires the PCIII but that would be my first concern. All your signals go through that box and a bad connection or internal "hick-up" will shut the bike down.

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
Did you check to make sure your PCIII Throttle is adjusted correctly? Mine did that when I ran a PCIII and had not adjusted the throttle in the PCIII software.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Big_Red said:
Did you check to make sure your PCIII Throttle is adjusted correctly? Mine did that when I ran a PCIII and had not adjusted the throttle in the PCIII software.
that is a good suggestion, but he had the issue with a stock bike as well... make sme think it would be unrelated to the pcIII

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be a standard throttle setting?

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
This is what I was referring to: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43848

but I agree with VenomousSVT, if you had this problem on the bike before the PCIII, that's probably not it. Also, the symptoms for not having the throttle set on the PCIII tend to show up at idle and coming off idle, not at cruise speeds like yours.

You checked for historic error codes, right?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
tim does your bike have an alarm?

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks Big Red. No, I havent' checked for codes yet, but haven't seen the engine light come on at all.

Trav, no alarm on my bike.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
vrodderD said:
Cool, thanks Big Red. No, I havent' checked for codes yet, but haven't seen the engine light come on at all.

Trav, no alarm on my bike.
well that takes another one out of the mix... try pulling the codes and seeing if you have any current ones.

do you have the instructions on this?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Check your TSSM module and make sure it's secure. If it vibrates, it could be detecting a TIP condition.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've had a problem pretty close to yours and it was the PCIII. I know you said it did it stock, but I would still look at the PCIII. I removed the PCIII and have not had a problem for 800 miles.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
i just got back from a short ride..

my bike did about the same .. i was slowing for a stop light and when i pulled the clutch in it just died.. did it again a couple times on the ride home..

very odd..

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
did it only do it when you pulled in the clutch? or did it do it while cruising along. yours sounds like either a dirty TB or a dirty IAC

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
trying to think .. i think it was in fact when i pulled the clutch in .. but cant be certain.. i do know it was on decel though

and somehow a dirty anything wouldnt surprise me since i am not the queen of clean on my bike

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
3OliveMartini said:
i just got back from a short ride..

my bike did about the same .. i was slowing for a stop light and when i pulled the clutch in it just died.. did it again a couple times on the ride home..

very odd..
The '03s had a problem documented as a "Fuel Flange Recall". It basically is a loose connector in the tank that allowed gas pressure to drop below minimum levels. The computer will shut the engine down if this occurs.
Most bikes by now have had the problem resolved with a new fuel flange and a couples of folks reported a recurrence of the issue.

Just a thought. You might have your fuel pressure checked.

There is a quick check for this condition, something to do with misting in the tank while running. Search the forum for it.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
umm rusty.. had that problem taken care of on the way home from KC actually .. they replaced the whole unit

this didnt feel like that at all .. when the fuel flange issue happened i woudl get sputtering etc.. this was pull the clutch .. every thing shut off..

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
vrodderD said:
Hey folks,

About 6-8 months ago, I had a problem with my 2006 D (basically stock at the time) in which it would basically stop running in the middle of a cruise speed ride. Almost like it ran out of gas because there was not electrical flicker or code thrown up. Once you get the bike stopped, turn off the ignition system at the key for 15 seconds, turn it back on and hit the switch, the engine comes back to life.

Well, it happened to me again today, twice. Now I have Rineharts with a PCIII, topless but no engine mods. It was like it just ran out of gas. I pulled off the road and again, turned the ignition off for 15 sec and then fired it up. But it happened within 10 miles of each issue.

Anyone else having this problem? I already checked my grounds and everyone is tit tight.
This sounds like vapor lock. Check your fuel cap, there is a vent in there that should slowly let air enter the tank to displace fuel as it is used. If the vent stops working or temporarily blocks the fuel will not flow as it shoud and your engine will stop. After you shut it off there is probably enough time elapsed to allow air to flow into the tank so the bike will restart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts