Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I bent my left frame rail and was replacing it with a new one tonight. Got everything on ok, but I realized that the front motor mount is now too short for the new frame rail. I don't have access to my service manual. How can I get to the motor mount to adjust it so I can make it longer? Any tricks on getting it off without removing the radiator? It's pretty tight in there.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
Sure the mount bracket isn't bent? either way, I replaced the upper mount on my 04 without draining the rad. so it can be done. It's a bitch tightening everything up though.Ed

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
i think he is referring to the turnbuckle but not sure.

are you talking about the lower mount (commonly referred to as the turnbuckle) or the upper mount?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. The frame rail is new from Harley. It's only off about 2mm, but that's enough. I may have figured a way to do it. Will try it out this evening.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The mount in question is right above the oil filter. It's tight and I can't loosen the other side of the mount to lengthen it.

Jim

·
She f...in Hates me!
800 Posts
You can get it loose with a crows foot wrench. If you need to know the size I can check.

·
She f...in Hates me!
800 Posts
The mount in question is right above the oil filter. It's tight and I can't loosen the other side of the mount to lengthen it.

Jim
I just checked and a 5/8 crows foot fits fine. You should be able to get a 5/8 open end wrench on the center piece to prevent it from turning. You should check to make sure the rear tire is centered in the middle of the rear fender before you tighten up the nuts on the turn buckle. Yes this moves the engine side to side and the rear swing arm pivot shaft goes through the engine and this is how to adjust the rear tire alignment!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice! I loosened up the four mounting bolts to the frame rail. This allowed me to get a bite with the bolt and the mount. The frame rail must be just slightly bowed. Once I got it going, everything lined up. Whew...

Ride safe,

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Cool! I used a floor jack to get mine. Once it was aligned, it went in. Go Figure! Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts