Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
A Beautiful Country
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a bit of a problem in the past couple of weeks. When I lean into a corner, the front tire feels as though it slips or wobbles a bit. It doesn't matter if it is a right or left turn.

I have examined the tire, and there is no sign of wear or damage. Nothing is loose on the front end. Everything appears to be in perfect working order.

Any ideas? I am at a loss.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do you ride much, this your first bike?

I used to ride a Triumph 955i Daytona sportbike... man I could shred corners in that thing like nobody's business... then went to a Ducati 748.

The geometry and rake of the Ducati makes it want to go into a corner 10mph faster... that's what the bike was built for. But on the streets, I felt uncomfortable with an entrance speed 10mph faster....

As a result, going slower into the corner (For the Ducati anyway), the bike wants to wobble like a ship's sail in the breeze?

Just curious if you're going into corners too slow? This might be a plausible explanation.

Now if you're simply talking about weird vibrations and aggressive shaking, then I'd say something is wrong with the mechanics of the bike... if its a simple wobble, then its most likely you.

Anyone else care to chime in?

I have the exact opposite problem, I'm so used to riding sportbikes, I drag hard parts on my DX, well the little peg feelers anyways, not to mention my boots/heels.

·
A Beautiful Country
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been riding for 34 years, this is definitely not my first bike. it doesn't matter how fast I am going, or if I am dragging the pegs or not. The bike just started doing this. It was just fine before.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Might sound dumb but check your rear tire pressure. Rear inflation has a huge impact on your front wheel and turning. I know especially from yesterday.

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
Tyre pressures seem pretty critical on this bike. Check them regularly....

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It could just be the tires if your using the stock Dunlops. I changed to Metz last week and the difference is significant.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Kemah, very good call on the tire pressure, Its so obvious that that possibility escaped me... I'd be willing to bet that's the problem.

I routinely ran 32lbs in the rear, and 28lbs in the front on the Ducati IIRC... what are you guys running on your DX's?

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Take a good look at your front Dunlop paying particular attention to scalloping or uneven wear. I got to changing the front every time I changed the rear due to uneven wear, especially after several thousand miles. It makes the bike act almost like you're on gravel in the turns.

For what it's worth, I run 38 lbs. in the back, and 36 in the front. And check it frequently.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I run 40/40 in my tires. Metzler front and rear. FWIW.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Man, I need to add some air, I'm at 32 rear & 28 front, but it handles great without any issues.

1,501 Posts
I am not a fan of the Dunlops, amazing that the MOCO put Pirelli Diablo Corsa III tyres on the new Buell 1125R but still leave the same $hit on the V. How much more could it cost them to use Metz or Avon?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kirk, Have the dealer check it out... I had an awful wobble in the front end from the day I picked up my bike, but it was ever present, not just limited to going into and out of turns. The tech told me that the front wheel was actual bent out of alignment (arrived that way from the factory), and it was replaced under warranty. No problems since, but I do plan to add a superbrace at some point (if they can work out some of the fitting complaints that I've read in related posts).

Best of luck, and ride safe!

·
jus cruizin
1,879 Posts
36/36 40 in rear with a pass. and I check em at least every other week. If the tire pressure isn't your issue you need to get it back to the dealer to check your front end......me thinks? :2cents:

·
Steve
1,402 Posts
40/40 on metzlers wearing great! ok front one has about 5000 rear gets replaced about every 3000. gotta love them rolling burnouts!

·
Registered
479 Posts
i have the same issue, hit any kind of non smooth surface in a corner and the wheel just wants to jerk away. but i also developed a real bad front end shake at 6000 miles, and dealer says my tires is cupped and its not covered under warranty

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Squared off rear used to that nicely on my Triumph 1200 Daytona. Very nearly ended up through the doors of a public toilet in Loule trying to "ride through it".

Don't assume it is the front...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
To see the cupping on the front tire you need to really take your time. I have developed the same problem and it is due to that poor excuse of a front tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts