Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
van-rod
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after my exhaust installation, I gave it a quick visual check and found the new ehxaust seal rings(P/N64971-09) are still visable. I torqued the exhaust flange nuts according to harly manual. It just don't look right to me so please give me some advises and opinions. Thanks a lot.

Hamber

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Small space between head and clamping flange is normal, I dare say correct because if you crushed it completely you would not know if it was under the right amount of compression.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I looked at the exhaust flange on my vrod's and there is no gasket showing on any of them. If I remember right there there is a flat side and a bevel or rounded side. The gasket should fit flat against the head. I don't think you pushed the gasket/seal into the head. What side did you put the retainer ring on, inside or outside? Hope I didn't screw you up worse.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Keep in mind that you have to keep space for thermal expansion. If you followed instruction, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have exhaust leak.

·
van-rod
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for your info!!
I don't wanna to start the bike now since it's in winter storage with new oil in the engine. I will go to dealer's showroom tomorrow and take a close look and probably ask one of the tech over there!!merry xmas and happy new year to all!!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
You should not see those gaskets. Probably installed incorrectly. When installing them the flat side goes against the cyl head and should not protrude out past the exhaust port. Buy a new set of seals and try again making sure the beveled edge is toward the pipe.

They are a tight fit and you have to play with them a bit to get them in the hole but they will go. Also make sure you have the correct part number for your bike. Double check this. If you ask a dealer for exhaust gaskets for a V-Rod with out model specifics you may get the wrong ones. There is more than one type for the V-Rod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts