Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably an old & repetitive tip,but my experience with Fuel gauge & sending unit.

I just wanted to share that the sensor/Fuel gauge problems that I experienced may years ago were resolved by using a techron & seafoam mix added every year while my bike is in winter 'non-use' long term storage

I , like many owners, had sensor gauge issues several years ago when I first bought my Vrod in 2002 brand new. Within the first few years the gauge stopped working or just got stuck reading empty. But these issues resolved and never returned after I started to store my bike with techron and seafoam in the tank over the winter months when the bike sat un-used.

I currently had my 2002 stored in my garage with old gas that I last put in from 2013. ( 5 years old gas) I just got the bike started again after having a new battery installed, --and surprisingly the Fuel gauge works fine. The bike started with no hesitation even with 5 year old gas.

The key to keeping the fuel sending unit clean inside the tank is to STORE the bike with full tank of gas and the add an ENTIRE COMPLETE bottle of techron and additionally also an ENTIRE COMPLETE bottle of seafoam and let it sit over the winter months when not in use.

Sea foam is amazing. So it Techron

Unrelated, but I had a old Yamaha YSR that i bought that had 30 year old dried up hard caramelized gas drippings on the frame and I used a small amount of seafoam soaked rag on the dried up hardened dark brown dry gas drippings, and sure enough the 30 year old oxidized hardened carmelized gas dripping just dissolved and wiped up in a snap. The seafoam dissolves deposits. Techron does the same.

They key is that I massively overdose my fuel tank when using both products when storing my Vrod over the winter.

In 2013, I had put the Vrod away for the last 5 years un-used, but each year added some fresh techron and seafoam each winter just to keep the concentrations high.

fuel gauge worked flawlessly since I started this yearly storage ritual.

Important to note ----It takes TIME for the seafoam and the techron to dissolve the deposits that might be causing fuel sensor problems, but with very high concentrations and over several months your gauge should return to proper functioning as these products clean any deposits off of the sending unit.

These is ZERO harm in overdosing Techron or overdosing Seafoam. The only side effect is that your bike will blow white smokey exhaust until all of the treated fuel is completely used up but this usually only occurs on start up. Once the engine is warm the white smoke is gone.

I am sure this info (about adding seafoam and techron) might be old news to the forum, but after storing my Vrod for 5 years unused with 5 year old gas, I was quite worried/and even expecting that my fuel gauge would get stuck as a result of having 5 year old gas siting in the tank. I finally had time two weeks ago to get the bike towed to the dealer to have a new battery installed, and sure enough the bike started no problem and the gauge has been working fine since.

Just though this might help.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Good post. I've replaced my sending unit twice because of the same gas gauge issue. I've tried cleaning the sending units also tried replacing/repairing parts on the sending units. Problem always returned. I now use techron during the riding season and also store the bike with techron and Stabil added to a full tank of gas. I only ride the bike 3 months out of the year. 6 years later, no gas gauge issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good post. I've replaced my sending unit twice because of the same gas gauge issue. I've tried cleaning the sending units also tried replacing/repairing parts on the sending units. Problem always returned. I now use techron during the riding season and also store the bike with techron and Stabil added to a full tank of gas. I only ride the bike 3 months out of the year. 6 years later, no gas gauge issues.
Glad you have had no problem also, BUT personally I would stay away from Stabil.

Two problems with about Stabil brand stabilizer-
1) dramatically lowers the octane of the gas being stabilized in the tank and degrades it to the point where the stabilized gas will cause engine knocking. Stabil degrades 91 or 93 octane gas down to below 84 octane when added to fuel
2) The other problem is that Stabile also becomes gummy over time and will leave deposits.

I NO longer use Stabil. It is a older outdated product technology.

There are much better fuel stabilizers. Sarbright Star-Tron is excellent, and it even deals with ( controls) moisture in the tank that can develop, unlike Stabil.

"SeaFoam" and "Techron Total Fuel" are the best for removing deposits off the fuel sending unit in the V-Rod, and Sarbright Star-tron is the best (non-gummy) stabilizer.

Just a tip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And to deal with a stuck fuel gauge, make sure to MASSIVELY OVERDOSE using seafoam and Techron.

I use a FULL can of both techron and Seafoam in the tank during winter storage.

overdosing does NO harm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.