Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
You couldn't pay me to park one of them in my garage......

I'll be holding on to the "F" for a long time.

I don't even think I'd buy any of the new H-D models as a second bike either.

·
Registered
165 Posts
local harley dearer had one,susposed to have test rides, they said harley didn't send bikes.W T F. sat on one air filter inlet is very much into right leg, very uncomfortable. i said that on harley web site and pissed off a lot of people, they also said i should get a real harley, which pissed me off. i've owened a 82 shovel,a 90 springer,traded that in for my v rod when the engine case cracked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a test ride on the FXDRS and I definitely will not be trading in my VRSCF.
When I sat on the new bike it felt a lot like the VROD as the seating position, foot controls and bar angles are virtually identical. At 5'9" my legs were touching the very hot primary and the muffler when I stood up. This was really quite annoying and forced me to sit way up on the airbox.
At low speed the FXDRS felt a lot lighter than the V. The V is much less agile and harder to maneuver. Handling is superior on the DR.
The M8 114 engine has a huge amount of torque and pulls like a beast in any gear.The 6 speed tranny shifts nicely and is a big improvement on the V.
But, after 5 years my VROD is still a thrill of a ride every time. The racing idle, the super high redline , the high compression downshifting and the sweet drone of the engine over 5000 RPM are all missing from the M8.
My VROD, with V&H pipes is an awesome machine that may not beat the FXDRS in performance and handling but it still is the best Harley out there . It is affordable,reliable, original, and has all the best qualities of a sport bike and a Harley cruiser.
The FXDRS is an impressive and bold new bike. It is a fitting tribute to the FXR and will likely be successful as a successor to the FXR crown.
The revolution engine is what makes the VROD king and until it is brought back or reworked into a new Harley the V retains its throne.

·
Registered
104 Posts
SP - thanks for the review!

I sat on an FXDRS at the 115th party in Milwaukee a couple weeks ago - foot controls seemed a little closer on the FXDRS to me (I'm also 5' 9") than on a V-Rod, but that might have been skewed by having to "bow my legs to get around the extra stuff on the FXDRS.

Dropped by a local dealer last weekend, who was advertising test rides - went there specifically to ride an FXDRS, but they didn't have one... Said they only received one (so far) and it sold the day it arrived.

So I'm still looking forward to riding one and I'm not ruling it out...

Holding my breath!

Kevin

·
EJ
22 Posts
Interesting, indeed. I wonder if that is a picture of the new Livewire (and not a pic of the 2014 one)?

I want one. However, I'm sure it'll be priced out of reach. I love my DX, but it's not a great commuter bike in Chicago.
I had the chance to ride one of the prototypes. Coming from a Revolution engine (I ride an '06 Night Rod), I can tell you it's got tons of torque. I didn't miss the rumble as much as I thought I would. It's got a distinct sound - reminds me of one of the X-fighters from Star Wars.

If I had the disposable income, I'd love to have one - especially if I lived in a big city like Chi-town. As a commuter bike, it would be awesome.

·
EJ
22 Posts
Just got a test ride on the FXDRS and I definitely will not be trading in my VRSCF.
When I sat on the new bike it felt a lot like the VROD as the seating position, foot controls and bar angles are virtually identical. At 5'9" my legs were touching the very hot primary and the muffler when I stood up. This was really quite annoying and forced me to sit way up on the airbox.
At low speed the FXDRS felt a lot lighter than the V. The V is much less agile and harder to maneuver. Handling is superior on the DR.
The M8 114 engine has a huge amount of torque and pulls like a beast in any gear.The 6 speed tranny shifts nicely and is a big improvement on the V.
But, after 5 years my VROD is still a thrill of a ride every time. The racing idle, the super high redline , the high compression downshifting and the sweet drone of the engine over 5000 RPM are all missing from the M8.
My VROD, with V&H pipes is an awesome machine that may not beat the FXDRS in performance and handling but it still is the best Harley out there . It is affordable,reliable, original, and has all the best qualities of a sport bike and a Harley cruiser.
The FXDRS is an impressive and bold new bike. It is a fitting tribute to the FXR and will likely be successful as a successor to the FXR crown.
The revolution engine is what makes the VROD king and until it is brought back or reworked into a new Harley the V retains its throne.
I don't know that I could have said it any better myself. I've tried to upgrade multiple times, and I can't bring myself to do it. Every time I get on my '06 Night Rod and crack the throttle, I smile.

When I first bought it, I wouldn't have classified it as a "nimble" bike, but as I've become 1 with it, I've learned to make it a little more light on it's feet.

I've ridden the Road Glide several times (which I really like), but can't give up that handling, acceleration and high redline. For the longest, I was so frustrated that the MoCo wouldn't make a sport touring bike with with the Revolution engine.

For the next few years, it's back to trying to find good looking, stable, and functional bags, and hoping that in this next group of bikes in the funnel, there's a real sport-tourer in the mix...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Why didn't they just give the Vrod a Makeover, you know, up the performance, new styling etc... hell put the motor into a lighter frame and tweek it a bit for more power. I think that would have worked. one of the big bitching points I hear all the time from non Harley types is that the bikes they build are antiquated tec. the V Rod was going in the right direction I think it just needed less weight and better handling and I think it would have won more people over. This seems like something the V rod should have EVOLVED from, not something it DEVOLVED into..

·
'04 1300
3,065 Posts
Why didn't they just give the Vrod a Makeover, you know, up the performance, new styling etc... hell put the motor into a lighter frame and tweek it a bit for more power. I think that would have worked. one of the big bitching points I hear all the time from non Harley types is that the bikes they build are antiquated tec. the V Rod was going in the right direction I think it just needed less weight and better handling and I think it would have won more people over. This seems like something the V rod should have EVOLVED from, not something it DEVOLVED into..
Simple reasoning there--one less engine to build/maintain/sustain parts for.

The Revo X is HD's hope for the Asian market, so it's not going anywhere. HD will be dead before they stop making a big twin motor. The Revo in the VRSC line had to give.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
So: Went to the local bike night last night. One of the local dealers brought a bunch of sales staff and bikes. Sure enough, once the bike night was winding down they broke out the truck and trailer, putting the latest HD bikes back in their natural habitat. I wouldn't waste my gas money fueling one of those pigs. All the torque talk is code for slow as hell and sucks.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
So: Went to the local bike night last night. One of the local dealers brought a bunch of sales staff and bikes. Sure enough, once the bike night was winding down they broke out the truck and trailer, putting the latest HD bikes back in their natural habitat. I wouldn't waste my gas money fueling one of those pigs. All the torque talk is code for slow as hell and sucks.
What!! Factory trailer queens!!

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Black is the new Slow. Less Bike, More $. What's the Problem ?

Mike in ATL - you Massive Prick you ! Torque is Code for Slow as Hell and Sucks ? How the Hell can you get a Massive 987 Lb. "motorcycle" on the trailer without 115 Ft. Lbs of Tq. ? Just think of the poor little Revo revved to 8750 Rpm trying to do the same job ! Awkward, & Embarrassing ! And I thought you knew something about motorcycles !? Harley can't drop weight - that's so expensive and Japanese so it's easier to increase stroke, slow things down and give you trailer loading torque - that's something to brag about with a guy's trailer buddies and the freshly painted black crap (instead of chrome) to make you look Bad A$$. What the Hell's the matter with you ? :banghead: GEEZ - :blahblah: :D

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
At the same bike night, it's a very diverse crowd but mostly bikes with a European flair and many mid size bikes. Looking at the current mid size offerings from Triumph, Guzzi, and even Yamaha sitting next to the new HDs, someone is in serious trouble. When your product is purpose built for someone who wants an HD badge at the cheapest price no matter how bad the bike, the long term outlook is depressing.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Sexy Motorcycle Mistress ? !

I go to bike night at the Ace Cafe in ORL every Thurs night and there are quite a few Streets and street rods ( small case out of respect for you, Mike ) also lots of Harleys guys have 10-20K over the price of the bike riding in & out. I'm hoping the cheap H-D's are just a way to get younger guys in the H-D camp and eventually they will force H-D to build us a real V- Rod follow-up performance bike that we older V Rod guys would buy. At least some of their cheap bikes are less than 600 Lbs ! My riding bud has a 987 Lb. Limited and I talked him into buying a nice used Triumph Speed Triple. You 'otta hear him talk, it's like he's got a hot new sexy girlfriend while the slow fat assed old lady sits on the stand at the house. It's pretty funny.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I sat on an FXDRS at the 115th party in Milwaukee a couple weeks ago - foot controls seemed a little closer on the FXDRS to me (I'm also 5' 9") than on a V-Rod, but that might have been skewed by having to "bow my legs to get around the extra stuff on the FXDRS.
I'm 6'1", sat on one a couple of days ago and it felt rally cramped compared to my VRSCA. The salesperson offered to let me take it out, I had zero interest.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Hey, Lux here too:

luxlamf • a year ago
Luckily my 2002 V Rod I bought in 2005 is still running fine with 135,000 miles on it...

To be fair it's had about nineteen gearboxes in it but you get that lugging around a size xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxL brain.:rofl:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think its a step back slightly for the Motor Company. The Vrod was never fully accepted by the purist. So, instead of perfecting the platform, they decide to sex up the current power plant to appeal to the younger market. I wish them luck with this, I truly do. I just think they gave up on the best power plant they ever made. Theres no way the Motor Company will gain the younger market share of the up and coming riders. The young rider wants performance, they dont want the old school Harleys and this is the tree that this particular bike has fallen from.

61 - 80 of 86 Posts