Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
That bike is H-D's answer to what they see guys doing to old FXR's in Hot Bike mag - in that view, kudo's to H-D ! it's just that I'm not the buyer for it, or the $ it would take to straighten it out. Perfect for some guys but it reminds me of the now defunct Rocker whatever that flash in the pan was. :blahblah: :D
Thinking about it - if their plan is to launch 100 new models (or whatever the number is), the easiest way to do that is to mix and match as wide a variety of engines, frames and cycle parts from their current stock/parts bins as possible. They're targeting little niches of hundreds of bikes based on the existing technology they've got.

When you've got relatively little truly new coming down the line, it makes sense. In effect, it's the old mix and match strategy that allowed them to repackage a couple of different basic engines and frames into seemingly endless models over the last 20-30 years. Only change is they've got some newer engines to add into the mix, and have finally realised there are sales to be had outside the trad Cruiser afficionados.

Btw - maybe sacrilege on here - but I have to confess I think the older long-stroke engines with the narrower V actually look much better than our short fat little over-square hi-po Rod mills. There, I said it :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Btw - maybe sacrilege on here - but I have to confess I think the older long-stroke engines with the narrower V actually look much better than our short fat little over-square hi-po Rod mills. There, I said it :)
:chair: Blasphemy!!!:spank::spank:

·
Registered
21 Posts
All of the 2018 softails have radiators for the oil cooled heads. The touring bikes have a different setup but it generally just makes them heavier.

The bike is a little lighter than my muscle and is a 4-5 ftlbs more torque than the 2018 softail models so maybe it does outperform but it would be interesting to have some context.

It is a lot of torque and you'll need all 6 gears, whether it pulls away from a v-rod is probably up to the riders.

It's nice to see H-D trying new things and hopefully some will stick this one is just kind of a non-starter. I'd much rather have an improved revolution but even if they stuck with the big air cooled engines i'd be much more impressed with a bike that was under 600lbs than one that's approaching 700. The xdiavel for example produces a good amount of torque, nearly double the hp of the FXDR and weights 120 pounds less.

If they want to make a modern "power cruiser" that's the target not fat boys and discontinued v-rods.
I am sure this engine is like other M8. very little up top compared to the Revolution. it will need a new cam.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Just priced out putting a pillion seat,bar, footpegs,stage four se kit,tuner, filter, pipe, came to about 5 grand US less fitting.So all up about 28K fitted roughly.Spose you could argue stage four not needed but Christ how else do you liven these old chonkers up!
WOW this thing is going to collect dust in the showroom,thats ridiculous pricing,like the now defunct similarly priced Breakout Pro Street or whatever its name was couldn't give them away.At least it came with a pillion seat.

Tariff allowances must have kicked in worldwide already:banghead:.Seems HD screw up the sales of what went before and future riders pay the price to drag em out of the shit.Not I, they're on their own with this pirate bait.Bring back the V Rod.

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
"Pirate Bait" :rofl:

Maybe it's just a run-out / end-game strategy. Milk the white-collar empty-nesters for every last penny until the party's well and truly over :)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Watch the pirates hobble to the bait !

"Pirate Bait"

"Maybe it's just a run-out / end-game strategy. Milk the white-collar empty-nesters for every last penny until the party's well and truly over"

Nowhere else can you get this elevated level of quality entertainment for this low, low price. Nowhere, Nohow. :angeldev: :D

·
Registered
737 Posts
The sad thing is it's all true :(

I remember the days when Tassie was the only one giving out about the lack of vision and foresight in the MoCo - and the (..shudder..) Diavel was the biggest bone of contention on the block.

You gotta hand it to the man (albeit perhaps begrudgingly in some cases :chair:) the way things are unfolding isn't a million miles away from how he called it back in the day.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
I sat on a warm one yesterday I was surprised how light it felt up off the stand - at least H-D is working on weight and fwd pegs ergo's had me walking out the door to my 12 year old R model :blahblah: :D

290kg shipped not exactly Jenny Craig it's the R's high centre of gravity your accustomed to,feels like your nuts weigh a ton by comparison.I do like that swingarm they've built though.:chainsaw:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mike c'mon, get with the 21st Century. We're old hat. Rossi (or Pedrosa/Dovi/Crutclow et al down to last man on the grid) would run rings round you and me on a monkey-bike - anywhere, anytime :chainsaw:

Those guys were scraping their knees just out of diapers, trail-braking into apexes long before they set foot in kindergarten, and laying darkies before they learned the 2 times table. The only way one of those guys would lose a Vrod on the twisties is if they were fitted with a bliindfold - or two :)

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Put down the tasty iron footpegs, & get off the Road Couch !

Well, the first step into losing weight is putting down the tasty iron foot pegs & exhaust pipe mounts, 59 Lb. wheels and stripping parts off - getting yourself off the road couch, and exercising the design until you get below 600 Lbs. The new Road King Special is like 787 Lb. what an improvement ! Better than the 967 Lb. Limited ! Looking in to the H-D room from the R model or racer viewpoint window is like looking at a motorcycle freak show. You can't begin to believe this heavy non performing equipment. But not everyone needs to jump 85 feet and clear the tabletop dirt jump or scrape knees on the tail of the dragon - some just want to cruise at a reasonable speed safely and generally the H-D's do that well. And Yes, Tassie is an awesome, international, incomparable star in the history of spanking H-D - :spank: with a U.S. speaking tour I'm sure coming soon ! and BTW Tassie I think the FXTURD model, "Backwater" or whatever was out of gas when I picked it up off the stand, sales guys got tricks, ya know ? But at least H-D is trying ! So let's hope for a real improved V Rod replacement for all of us on the upper outskirts of their performance envelope. ( P.S. don't hold your breath ) :blahblah: :D

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Reckon the pushrods would win up to say 60 aided by the gearing advantage if the box of six is spaced correctly after that might be a different story.First set of corners might see the Efn Ex close the gap with less mush than stock V Rod suspension.Down into the hairpin would be unknown no brembos :broke:for the FX, depends whether the abs locked up or not because the fluid hadn't been flushed 5 minutes before and rotors were still flat:banghead:.Across the line and all the fat chicks would be lumbering over to the FXer to slobber over the ideal man of their dreams while V Rod guy happy with his obvious difference waits patiently for an upgrade that will put him back at the top where he rightly belongs.

Speaking tour dates to follow (entry fee includes free BBTVR t'shirt).

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
Mike c'mon, get with the 21st Century. We're old hat. Rossi (or Pedrosa/Dovi/Crutclow et al down to last man on the grid) would run rings round you and me on a monkey-bike - anywhere, anytime :chainsaw:

Those guys were scraping their knees just out of diapers, trail-braking into apexes long before they set foot in kindergarten, and laying darkies before they learned the 2 times table. The only way one of those guys would lose a Vrod on the twisties is if they were fitted with a bliindfold - or two :)
Me thinks you underestimate just how much a dog the new crap pile is. You are focused on the talent of the rider I mentioned and fail to recognize just how bad the bike is. On equal hardware in my racing days I was about 5-7 seconds off a pro pace. I expect the new crap pile to be 15-18 seconds a lap off an R.

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,630 Posts
Well, the first step into losing weight is putting down the tasty iron foot pegs & exhaust pipe mounts, 59 Lb. wheels and stripping parts off - getting yourself off the road couch, and exercising the design until you get below 600 Lbs. The new Road King Special is like 787 Lb. what an improvement ! Better than the 967 Lb. Limited ! Looking in to the H-D room from the R model or racer viewpoint window is like looking at a motorcycle freak show. You can't begin to believe this heavy non performing equipment. But not everyone needs to jump 85 feet and clear the tabletop dirt jump or scrape knees on the tail of the dragon - some just want to cruise at a reasonable speed safely and generally the H-D's do that well. And Yes, Tassie is an awesome, international, incomparable star in the history of spanking H-D - :spank: with a U.S. speaking tour I'm sure coming soon ! and BTW Tassie I think the FXTURD model, "Backwater" or whatever was out of gas when I picked it up off the stand, sales guys got tricks, ya know ? But at least H-D is trying ! So let's hope for a real improved V Rod replacement for all of us on the upper outskirts of their performance envelope. ( P.S. don't hold your breath ) :blahblah: :D
I'll be riding a trike before a bike that can only lean 32 degrees. That's not even enough to break out of pure boredom. Rode a Boss Hoss at Sturgis and that's about how it leans. At least it can go when you grab a hand full.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Scraping can lead to DEATH, so have a GREAT Labor Day !

I have always said my motorcycles will NEVER limit my lean angle due to factory installed low performance cruiser crap rubbing the road. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE ! I wish I had a dollar for every uninformed H-D couch rider ( with an hot, unprotected, shorts & halter top female on the back ) that low sided their couch into oncoming traffic at the tail of the dragon trying to make the weekly tree of shame news. Ridiculous. OK, BEYOND Ridiculous. To me motorcycles have to do it all, and then some, or they are just a waste of time and YES, VERY Dangerous. Do Not Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight ! This is where Darwin kicks in. Survival of the fittest. Good luck with floorboards, 987 Lbs and limited lean in the tight mountains, that's just beyond stupid - the R barely gets away with it, but she will do it, without scraping - as I just proved, a great bike that begs for more. Hope H-D builds it's replacement. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
Guess really I was speaking 1/4 mile race. And by the way I went to test ride a 2019 road glide w/ a 114 on it. Well I guess I have been riding the V to long. Because when I rode the Glide I just did not feel the way I felt on the V when I first rode it. Guess I had not been on one in a while and forgot the vibration It had at idle. Anyway what I did like about it was the fact I could ride around in 3rd an 4th. After that that was pretty much it. It would have been perfect w/the revo engine. Bike response just did not impress me, and I am not just talking about speed. Seems like the bike is sluggish for lack of a better word. Dont get me wrong it pulls strong, just missing something. And I can understand why Harley is trying to attract a younger crowd, but this feel I had on this bike is not it. And I am not a youngster by a long shot. The bike just felt brawny some how and sluggish. The ride was ok with the factory shocks, but could have been better. Maybe just an adjustment. Hmpft if the V had a 6th gear well you know the story. Now on to the Vrod wanna be. Of course it dont look to bad, except like said the ass end. When I sat on it, not for me. Maybe if you own a muscle it might fit. I did not ride it because it was the 114 and I felt I had enough of it on the glide. They had a Vrod there a younger 20 plus maybe was there with his girl. I had spoke w/ him and he was telling me how he wrecked his muscle and was buying a night rod special and his girl was ranting on about how she loved that bike etc. His comment was he just dont like the way the exhaust was mounted. I own one and I kinda agreed as compared to the muscle. But thats it for me otherwise. They were buying another Vrod. Thats what harley needs to look at again, what is attracting young people, even w/ the rod being discontinued it still sold. Bottom line they are supposed to create better than before. Not something that makes you go WELL I DONT KNOW. But give Harley E for effort.

·
Billy
506 Posts
Cheaper build but cost more

“Marketing” and customer studies have ruined most products that we have purchased for many years. Plastic and paint has replaced chrome and special features. Cars went to painted bumpers many years ago. Cheap fabric replaced leather in shoes and sadly plastic disguised by the trade name polyester has replaced cotton in clothing. How much do you think it costs to make a plastic shirt? Bright colors, lighter weights and flashy plastics were used to catch the eye of the consumer and while the manufacturers cut cost prices rose rapidly. Night train (blacked out bikes) became a trend with no chrome and although the style was loved by many, it was a win/win for moto companies. Less flash equals lower build costs. The same thing happened with golf putters. They were once all chromed or made from brass or stainless but now they are made of pot-metal and painted up to look jazzy and consumers are paying $300 for 10 bucks of cast crap. The bike looks ok but it is miles away from the quality and workmanship of the early V-rods but it’s not suppose to be the early Vrod. It’s made to catch the eye of today’s younger customers who aren’t old enough to understand value yet. If moto built a 2003 Vrod today, it would cost $30,000 or more. That’s how modern businesses survive. They are not targeting you and I my friend. They are targeting the new, younger crowd.

41 - 60 of 86 Posts