Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rocker/Breakout/Vrod conglomerate

Sweet looking scooter. It would have been sweet to see the Revolution motor/drivetrain in it.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Would have been ok fifteen years ago to mop up V Rod curious traditionalists but a bit of a stretch if they think people will pay that much to be behind the times now.May as well buy a Diavel for that money.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Back to the Future !?

So a long wheelbase, heavy, air cooled, 34 degree slow steering, 240 rear tire single seater that's kinda fuggly lookin' ? - Yea, not selling the R Model yet. At least H-D actually paid attention to some weight reduction on the swingarm, wheels etc., torque and mileage good if that's your thing. Sorry, still shaking my head - a rehash of the rehash of the rehash, somehow getting all of us closer to a TRULY NEW BIKE ! My 20+K is still properly invested, waiting. Hell at this rate I'll be able to afford a 40K 2024 Model !! At least they are paying attention to what guys in Hot Bike Mag are doing - H-D performance. Keep going H-D ! :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's almost like another company that didn't have the Revolution engine decided they wanted a VRod and built their own with a crappy air cooled engine that they had in inventory.

·
"Grab your ankles"
193 Posts
I'm not impressed. The bike looks good from the front tire to the front of the seat. After that, it's a mess. With the rear tire hanging out ~18" from the chopped fender, it looks like a hill climber. Then, you move on to the really hideous part. They put a cheap, plastic fender over the rear tire that also pulls duty as a license plate holder and mount for the turn signals. I'm dumbfounded. I always thought the handlebar-mounted turn signals were H-D's most distasteful design, but this plastic tire cover takes the cake.

Don't even get me started on the air-cooled engine.

And since this bike is being placed in the Muscle Cruiser segment, it is obviously a successor to the VROD. A big miss if you ask me.

Give me the sculpted lines, the beautiful frame and that high-revving 76 cu. in. Revolution any day.

Someone needs to put "FXDR 114" in the title of this thread, so we don't get 67 threads started on the same topic.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
The air cleaner looks like an afterthought. Reminds me of the 5mph bumper slapped on exotic cars in the 80's to comply with new regulations the bodies were never designed for.

Maybe this is H-D's new profit machine, make the bike good enough so people buy it, but a few ugly parts everyone will change. The aftermarket is going to make a killing selling exhaust systems for these.

·
Registered
95 Posts
H-D said it's a power cruiser & that it handles great
Calling this a power cruiser is a bit misleading. Much like calling it a v-rod replacement.

also has inverted forks.
In Harley's hands that amounts to a styling cue.

Just saw this - and HOW ABOUT those torque numbers?!

I noted it has a six speed transmission too...

Kevin
I bet that torque is fun for as long as it last. When the engine runs out of breath at 6000 rpm a 6 speed is pretty much required.

Styling is subjective and there are things I like and don't like about the FXDR.

Mechanically it's a bit boring. It has the same engine as the softails and the same weight, rake and other specs as the 2018 breakout and a few other bikes. So calling this a power cruiser is yawn worthy. Other than styling what really differentiates this from any of the softails with the 114?

I have no doubt this is a fun bike, I like the 114's but they aren't comparable to a revolution. At least it isn't as boring as their 2018 lineup.

Whats going to happen when some squid on a 600 pulls up to you on the highway? Are they shocked that the Harley kept up or do they ride away laughing at that "power cruiser"?

In the end this is still a heavy bike with a big inch, low revving air cooled engine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
In the end this is still a heavy bike with a big inch, low revving air cooled engine.
It's worth mentioning that this is at least the liquid-cooled-head version of the M8 engine. There's a radiator tucked in between those downtubes, hidden by the fairing.

A V-Rod replacement, it is not. During the reveal, they mentioned that it outperformed every other Harley ever made. It's down over 30hp on the V-Rod, though, so I'm not sure how that's possible. It at least gets better mpg; maybe that's what he meant!

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's worth mentioning that this is at least the liquid-cooled-head version of the M8 engine. There's a radiator tucked in between those downtubes, hidden by the fairing.

A V-Rod replacement, it is not. During the reveal, they mentioned that it outperformed every other Harley ever made. It's down over 30hp on the V-Rod, though, so I'm not sure how that's possible. It at least gets better mpg; maybe that's what he meant!
All of the 2018 softails have radiators for the oil cooled heads. The touring bikes have a different setup but it generally just makes them heavier.

The bike is a little lighter than my muscle and is a 4-5 ftlbs more torque than the 2018 softail models so maybe it does outperform but it would be interesting to have some context.

It is a lot of torque and you'll need all 6 gears, whether it pulls away from a v-rod is probably up to the riders.

It's nice to see H-D trying new things and hopefully some will stick this one is just kind of a non-starter. I'd much rather have an improved revolution but even if they stuck with the big air cooled engines i'd be much more impressed with a bike that was under 600lbs than one that's approaching 700. The xdiavel for example produces a good amount of torque, nearly double the hp of the FXDR and weights 120 pounds less.

If they want to make a modern "power cruiser" that's the target not fat boys and discontinued v-rods.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I like this part:
The recession changed Harley’s perception of itself. Until then, it had never done much consumer research. “We’d mostly gone on gut feel. We thought we knew our existing customer base and what they wanted,” says Michelle Kumbier, Harley’s chief operating officer. She’s been with the company for almost 21 years and riding for more than a decade.
Willie G saw the future and answered with the V-Rod. It seems he was two decades ahead of the curve. She somewhat points out where the problem was, the V-Rod wasn't for their customer base, it was supposed to target non H-D riders and they failed miserably to get the word out.

But this article nicely points out the problem may not be H-D (at least in the US) since sales are declining over all motorcycles here. How do you convince the younger generation who seem to have no interest in personal transportation go out and buy a motorcycle?
We all have friends with kids (or kids themselves) who don't care when or if they ever get a drivers license. This blows my mind.

IMO Harley needs a thumper, a $5k single cylinder targeted directly at the 20-somethings. Hell, spin off a new company name so it doesn't dilute H-D directly (like Honda / Acura...)

·
Jeep + Cage = Fun
35 Posts
VERY interesting article. I'm reminded of a good 90's flick called "Other People's Money". Danny DeVito gives a nice explanation of market fundamentals. Among them "fastest way to go broke is to have an increasing share of a declining market."

At the end of the day, failure to innovate = obsolescence: "The last buggy whip manufacturer made the best goddamn buggy whips you ever saw." Except no one wanted or needed buggy whips any more.

·
Registered Useless
589 Posts
A new excit... yawn...ing developm....yawn...ent from Harley Davidson, experts in backward engineering, reinventing the wheel and perpetual service bulletin recalls. They may as well file for chapter 11.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Too damn expensive to be successful. End of story. 26k CAD +13% taxes, dealer fees and so on. By the time you get it out the door it's close to 30k. In 2012, I paid 17500 +13% tax plus dealer prep for my DX and that was more then it's worth. The market they are after doesn't have the money and the ones that do are older and get geezer glides.
Ron

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
In the next few years, Harley will release more than a dozen motorcycles, many of them small, lightweight, even electric. The new Harleys are intended to reverse years of declining sales and appeal to a new rider: young, urban, and not necessarily American. Harley wants international riders to be half its business in the next 10 years. “We are turning a page in the history of the company,” says Matthew Levatich, chief executive officer. “We’re opening our arms to the next generation.”

Asia is the target market that's where the growth is for HD.High volume lower profit without the inbuilt home town loyalty which is sort of new territory for them.
If successful could be all Harleys end up being built out of Thailand maybe even our replacement V Rod at an affordable price.I can tell you from an out of town perspective we love the connection to USA but couldn't give a flying f%$# where they are built and price rules when there are plenty of alternatives.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts