Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after searching several of the exhaust threads on this board as well as talking with a couple different vendors regrading pipes for my night rod I decided to go with Toxic Big Rigs. I like the sound and the look they give the bike. Scott the owner of Toxic seems like a decent guy and was willing to spend some time on the phone answering my questions. I ordered black ceramic finish and powder coated drilled heat shields. I was torn between black exhaust wrap or shields.
Today I decided to rip of the factory exhaust off the bike. I figured I would post a few pics of the job. The total job took me about 30-45 minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After I got the 4 nuts loosend up I wiggled both front and rear exhaust flanges loose. I also loosend the collar holding the front pc. of the exhaust to the rest of the system (not sure what they call that pc.). After I unplugged the EG Senor from the harness I wiggled the exhaust a bit and it practically fell off. At this point I also took off the Flange retaining clip and the flange as I'm guessing I will have to use them for the Toxic system.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After I got the front section of pipe off I proceeded to loosen the two rear allen head bolts (one under the psg. foot peg & one in the support bracket) and one 13mm nut closest to the ground. I unplugged the rear exhaust sensor and gave the whole exhaust a couple good tugs. It got real loose real fast. I was carefull to watch the header pipe while removing it from the bike. Tape can only do so much. After I got the exhaust off and on the ground I removed the bracket. It was attached with three allen bolts. If I remember correct I think they were 6mm.

After complete exhaust removal I put system back together for storage. I do this so I don't loose any pcs.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing, and it's not a big deal, I was a little pissed about was the wiring harness that hooked into the rear brake light sensor was melted a bit. This was just sloppy ass work on the HD assem. line. I could have been prevented if somebody took about 3 more minutes and put it in the correct location. Who knows maybe it was a dealer prep issue. My bike has 1031 miles. This isn't the kind of crap I want to find.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I was in the tinkering mood I also put on the black grilles on the front of the bike. I got these from GR Customs along with the skull Derby cover and clutch cover. GR did a great job shipping everything out....and the product is real nice also.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will post the rest of my progress when I get the big rig pipes and the power commander from Scott at Toxic. I will sound like a sewing machine NO MORE!! NO MORE YOU HEAR!!!

·
Captain DeadPool
660 Posts
i had the big rigs on my last DX with the same ceramic coating and drilled heat shields.....looks great....you have to ride the bike for a while to let the ceramic coating cure out....i rode mine for about 2 weeks be for i washed just to make sure the coating was good. when i finally washed with soap and water and soft towels i had some of the ceramic come off. more so on the first bends coming out of the jugs. eventually i just bought some high-temp grill paint and re-did the pipes. watch out for the lean angle on the right side cause they will scrape like any other pipe, minus a turbo. never scraped that. like any coated pipe install, be careful with flange retaining clip, and the flanges too. by the way does any one have any cool tricks for removing and installing the flange retaining clips. i have performed several pipe installs and i still haven't found an always reliable method.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have a question about the rear passenger peg mount on the exhaust side. What has everybody done with the mount now that you don't need to use the support hole for the stock exhaust. Does anybody make any passenger foot peg mounts for a bike with a aftermarket exhaust??

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I do have a question about the rear passenger peg mount on the exhaust side. What has everybody done with the mount now that you don't need to use the support hole for the stock exhaust. Does anybody make any passenger foot peg mounts for a bike with a aftermarket exhaust??
I just cut it off, ground it smooth to match the other side and hit it with some black paint. If you do a good job of it no one will ever know it didn't come that way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Take the Rubber mount out and it makes a great place to hand a helmet when the bike is parked

·
Registered
51 Posts
i had the big rigs on my last DX with the same ceramic coating and drilled heat shields.....looks great....you have to ride the bike for a while to let the ceramic coating cure out....i rode mine for about 2 weeks be for i washed just to make sure the coating was good. when i finally washed with soap and water and soft towels i had some of the ceramic come off. more so on the first bends coming out of the jugs. eventually i just bought some high-temp grill paint and re-did the pipes. watch out for the lean angle on the right side cause they will scrape like any other pipe, minus a turbo. never scraped that. like any coated pipe install, be careful with flange retaining clip, and the flanges too. by the way does any one have any cool tricks for removing and installing the flange retaining clips. i have performed several pipe installs and i still haven't found an always reliable method.
I had a problem with the O2 sensor in mine and ended up ruining the finish so I repainted them as well. The only problem is my pants come in contact with the pipes by the foot pegs and I always have a blemish there. Small price to pay for such awesome looking and sounding pipes though. (V-Lux)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't had time to post in a few days. I recieved my pipes from Scott and Toxic Inc. I have to say they were packaged very well. All parts were individually bagged and wrapped in paper. The build quality is very good. The pipes seem very hvy gauge. I mentioned before I ordered Ceremic coating with powder coated heat shield and a PC5. The instructions were very straight forward. Here are a couple pics;

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looks good. I can't tell by the pics but how much clearance do you have between the front pipe and the oil line that runs down the right side of the radiator?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The front pipe fits nice. Without going out and checking I would guess 3/4 inch. I would also like to say THEY SOUND AWESOME. Good bye sewing machine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Toxic does offer them with or with out. I ordered mine without. I think they offer two different baffles. I figured if I was going to put pipes they better have a little bark....and these bite good. Remember LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!! ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts