Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 hd nrs anniversary
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys as the title says I want to change the original fluid on my clutch and i just want to know what is your guys preferred dot 4 fluid?

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Hey guys as the title says I want to change the original fluid on my clutch and i just want to know what is your guys preferred dot 4 fluid?
I wouldn't worry about the brand of Dot 4. Make sure you change it every 2 years max and if it hasn't been done before buy two bottles. Damn VRSCR I'm working on the stuff looked like mud. Took two bottles to get it clean and fresh again. It was fuggly.
Ron

·
Registered
593 Posts
DOT 4 is pretty much all the same, any brand will work. And don’t pay more for the “synthetic “ either. That’s marketing bullshit since it’s ALL synthetic.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Syn blends of any brake fluids are for a higher boiling point. No real use in a v rod. As for dot3, it has the least amount of anti-corrosion additives in it. Don't even know why it exists in this day and age. Best used in an old farm truck. Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 is the ticket if it asks for Dot4 on the lids or Dot 5 if it asks for that. Never mix Dot 5 with 3,4 or 5.1. Hydroscopic nature of 3, 4 and 5.1 really should be flushed every two years or corrosion will set in eventually. ABS systems can suffer from corrosion and that gets expensive. Dot 5 doesn't attract moisture due to it being as silicone base but it get's dirty over time like the rest. It is not ABS friendly and most likely why HD switched from Dot 5, over to Dot 4.
Ron

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ah crap, that s right….. DOT 5 is silicone, and that is what differentiates it from the others. :sleep: Sorry for the mis-information!

-John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts