Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone knows if I can purchase a shorter power cable for the powervision? Or is there a way to shorten the cable? Thanks again for your guy’s help.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I just cut mine about a foot from the end after determining what length I needed Spliced the wires with a lapped solder joint, shrink fit on each and a shrink fit sleeve for a new outer sleeve. Stagger the cuts 1/2-3/4". That way the bundle remains pretty much the same dia as original when the outer shrink is on.
Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ron. I really appreciate the help. How long did you cut the cable, I’ve read that coiling the cable causes problems. Also should I dyno my bike or is using the basic auto tune ok to use?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Thanks Ron. I really appreciate the help. How long did you cut the cable, I’ve read that coiling the cable causes problems. Also should I dyno my bike or is using the basic auto tune ok to use?
Not sure the coiling actually was ever the issue. Some units had issues and the cable was blamed, rather then the PV unit itself. Don't remember what my cable is exactly but in the area of 18" or so from the data port to the hard mounted PV unit. You need to do a test fit and decide what's best. For a none hard mount, leave it as is and wind up the excess while in use.
Basic Autotune is just that. Might get you a more or less satisfactory tune but I've never been happy with the results. Dyno will give you the best results, depending on the operator or if you really want to do it yourself, consider using a product called MyTune and run the PV logs through it. Some learning curve between the two needed but this combo will give a better tune in the end.
Ron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey guys,

Does anyone have a routing diagram for the wires in the ECM cable connector?

Presumably, 2 wires go to the battery (+) & (-), and the other 2 are data cables going to the ECM. I'd also like to know which connectors the 4 wires terminate into?

I'm trying to shorten the cable too, but I hope to route the power cables directly to the battery instead of via the ECM.
The intention is to let the 2 data cables go to the ECM through the connector, but, route the wires powering the PV to the battery instead of through the ECM.

Hope this makes sense... TIA.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Found this in the Service Manual (Electrical Diagnostics Manual)...

As per this diagram,

Pin 1 = null
Pin 2 = (-ve) to the battery
Pin 3 = Data cable... should go to the ECM
Pin 4 = (+ve) to the battery

Am I correct?

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts